PDA

View Full Version : Doping at Sam Houston

ReignyDaze
02-18-2003, 02:22 AM
In a story posted on its website late Feb. 17, the Dallas Moring News reported that six horses at Sam Houston tested positive for EPO Jan.16-17. Because the tests were only for antibodies produced in reaction to the drug, the date of administration of the drug couldn't be determined, so no action, other than notifying the trainers, will be taken (as if they didn't know). The Texas Racing Commission is not even releasing the names of the trainers.

I reckon the folks who know those names have a slight handicapping advantage over those of us who don't.

If ya wanna play this game, ya gotta read between the lines of the Form.

Reigny Daze

JustRalph
02-18-2003, 05:34 PM
EPO?

whats that?

Enigma
02-18-2003, 06:32 PM
EPO is Erythropoietin, it is a hormone that stimulates the red blood cells, this puts more oxygen into the muscles so that the horse can run at a higher level for much longer. The effect is dramatic, the side effect after time is drastic.

JustRalph
02-18-2003, 07:41 PM
I looked it up online...interesting.....

Examples of Erythropoietins
There are 2 brands of EPO that are commercially available:
Procrit® (epoetin alfa, Ortho Biotech)
Epogen® (epoetin alfa, Amgen, Inc)

"Procrit is indicated and marketed for use in the treatment of anemia that occurs due to chemotherapy for patients with cancer,"

I have seen this commercial. I wonder how many free samples of this it would take to have an effect on a horse?

Thanks for the info.

Figman
02-18-2003, 09:03 PM
The "good stuff" is a Japanese product called INOLIN. Also its takes at least three administrations of EPO before it can be detected. Then it can be detected for a long, long time (months!) without additional administrations even occuring. Therefore, it is difficult to call an EPO positive from a specific post race test and tell if the administration was recent. A positive EPO reading results from the shape and kind of antibodies in the animal's blood differing from that animal's majority and natural antibodies. Probabl;y the best way to deal with this problem is to ban any horse from competition that is positive for EPO just like any horse that is positive for equine infectious anemia "swamp fever" antibodies is likewise banned from racing.

PurplePower
02-18-2003, 11:45 PM
First I have heard of this. I'll do some checking around Thursday when I get back from a quick trip to Baton Rouge. Just finished teaching Trainers Exam Prep class and was talking about EPO in the drug testing section. Will let board know if I learn anything substantive.