PDA

View Full Version : ThoroughbredZone's Derby Preview

Stevie Belmont
05-02-2008, 02:30 PM
ThrorughbredZones Kentucky Derby Preview

We have been watching them all winter and spring with the Top 12...This is how things could go down at Churchill Downs

Contenders

Big Brown- Most talented horse in race

Cowboy Cal-Sleeper with tactical speed

Z Fortune-Strong race in Arkansas Derby

Monba-Well bred to get distance

Colonel John-Should be there late

Tale of Ekati-Well bred to get distance

Could use these in a 6-horse exacta box. Any horse at all you like can be used under in bottom of tris and supers. That’s how you get the big pay out.

Top Pick

Many are running from this one, but the best horse in the race is Big Brown. No horse has run as fast and has looked better then Big Brown. History is against him, but history was against him in at Gulfstream and it history was against Rags To Riches, Street Sense and Funny Cide. Kent Desormeaux is a two time Derby winning jockey and will be outside of any trouble, horses speed will get him right up front with ease. Probable short price, but he is the horse to still beat and we will not run from him. Post 20 still goes against my handicapping principles, but has time to get over, if he is as good as they say he is, he will win. Dutrow knows the horse and sees him everyday. He knows what he has and he is not shy about it. If someone is telling you how good he is, why doubt it. Will either look like a champ or chump if things don’t go his way after running his mouth. Has done it before and he has been right on. A win play is probably not the way to go. Will use on top in tris and zactas as well as some of the others mentioned here. Spread in pick plays.

1 Cool Coal Man - Winner over Churchill Downs. Has yet to show that he is fast enough to win the Derby, brutal post-Not Using

2 Tale Of Ekati- Came home slow in the Wood Memorial. One of the best bred horses in the race and will get a grinding prolonged stretch run, will need the right pace scenario, poor post-User and saver win play

3 Anak Nakal- Huge stretch to win here, possible the longest shot on the board, behind in the class department-Not Using

4 Court Vision- Another who came out of the slow Wood Memorial. Fast Churchill work. Adds blinkers and figures to be closer to the lead this time. Is he fast enough remains the question-Slow Remsen as well would -Use under

5 Eight Belles- The only filly in the race. Large filly at that. Does not look to be fast enough for these. Bred to get distance. Porter wants a Derby badly, but may not be the year-Not using

6 Z Fortune- Sleeper. If you like Gayego you should like Z Fortune, galloped out past Gayego with a determined stretch run. He could regress, but he looks like he will get the distance. A User under and a savor win play.

7 Big Truck- New York bred needs to kick it up several notches in the speed department to get a piece of this. Probably not fast enough and distance looks iffy-Not Using

8 Visionaire- Consistent closer who has yet to run a real clunker, last on poly is a toss for several. Looks to be among one of the horses coming with a late kick, a horse to have in exotics at a price if he comes with a run- User

9 Pyro- The Jekyl and Hyde horse of the Derby, toss his last and he might have been the favorite. Never won a race over 1 1/16 and is still a question mark at 1 ¼..And still have doubts as to weather he is fast enough could get a piece in the right pace scenario-User

10 Colonel John- Solid form from the son of Tiznow. Strong closing move to win Santa Anita Derby. Galloped out strongly, still a question on dirt, logical choice in the top spot, User Either on top and/or under

11 Z Humor- Could show some speed, has really never done anything to indicate he can win here, would need a career best effort to fact-Not Using

12 Smooth Air- Only horse in the picture when Big Brown hit the wire. Solid tactical speed, distance looks to be his undoing and coming off fever are negatives. Not Using

13 Bob Black Jack- Ran right behind Gayego and Colonel John. This guy is fast and certainly figures to be gunned to the lead, could make a major impact in the pace scenario, but staying the 1 ¼ under the expected pressure looks to be overwhelming. Not Using.

14 Monba- One of the biggest question marks in the race, superb breeding and bred to run all day, won at a 1 1/8 and looks to make a late bid again, Pletcher is flying under the radar, and a winner at Churchill, horse will have to prove he is fast enough, but could very well get in there if he runs to his breeding-User

15 Adriano- Viewed primarily as a turf and synthetic horse, will have to prove in can handle the dirt in the biggest race of them all, Nice stride, but looks like he is another who lacks the speed to win. – Not Using

16 Denis of Cork-Ran a flat Illinois Derby, stone closer looked good early on, but looks like he is not tight enough for this and we doubt his kick will be as effective at a 1 ¼-Not Using

Cowboy Cal- Another sleeper at a price, has run some of the fastest races of any horse in the race, all be it on grass, solid stalk/tactical speed and looks to have a pedigree that says yes to a 1 ¼, should be in the picture for most of the race, possibly the biggest dark horse in the race, never been on dirt, his sire Giants Causeway ran a game second in the BC Classic-User and saver win.

Recapturetheglory- Another one of the early pace factor horses, had an easy win in the Illinois Derby and received a solid speed figure, will not encounter the same trip in Derby. Will have to get over from post, should begin to struggle as he approaches the top of the turn-Not Using

Gayego- Arkansas Derby winner proved he can run on dirt, as consistent as they come, but getting the 1 1/14 looks to be a huge issue, being by Gilded Time, and looked a little tired after the Arkansas Derby-Not Using

Big Brown- The most talented horse in the race, will have to use that talent to win from post 20, he has shown he can run fast early and keep it going late, will try to get over and sit off the leaders and make a bid, connections confident and as a player it nice to know that, right trip most logical winner, post 20 is still tough. Kent Desormeaux is a two time Derby winner and knows the Churchill ropes- Top Choice User top and bottom

juanepstein
05-02-2008, 09:00 PM
ACHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stevie Belmont
05-03-2008, 02:39 PM
I've have changed my a position a little on Eight Belles. I had her as a non user, but after some closer examination, she might not be a bad idea to throw in there. She is huge, looks to have stamina and her numbers seem comparable to some of the others. Underneath at least anyway

Stevie Belmont
05-03-2008, 08:43 PM
ThoroughbredZone baby...

Nails down the Big Brown..in Kentucky Derby 134..

And we will do it again next year...stay tuned

Too bad about the filly. Im just happy I changed my position on her to make for a decent day.

Stevie Belmont
05-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Big Brown chopped them up....

Post 20, wide, only 3 races, patched up feet

He won't win...

History don't mean jack..It' all crap..

The best by far and he buried them from the goddam 20...Huge race

I had confidence in this horses.

Read why I picked him.

Tuffmug
05-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Stevie,

Good logical choice. Big Brown was talented and in form. You rightly ignored all the idiotic historical statistical noise, post position bull, and pedigree crap that the DRF boys and other racing touts are so fond of spouting.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2008, 04:22 AM
I didn't think the filly had any shot....nice call....

rastajenk
05-04-2008, 07:42 AM
When you use a third of the field, on occasion good things will happen.

Stevie Belmont
05-04-2008, 11:40 AM
You have to have an opinion, actually hearing all the carp all week from all those guys did not change my mind at all. I went with who I though was the best horse. I have to admit, after BB the rest were wide, wide open....

Im also thankful I was able to realize that Eight Belles should be on all my tickets, so I ammended my original comments on here...Too bad she broke down, but from the betting perspective here numbers were right there...

Here is the worst story of the day for me...

About an hour before the race I was diddling with some super plays in the Derby. Keying Big Brown on top and spreading with the 3rd and 4th spot with the slow closers.

I wrote down a play.

20/2,5,6,9,10,14,17/2,4,10,16,14,17/2,4,8,14,16,17

I did not play it...

The super was 58,ooo

I would have had it for a buck..

My Derby theory on betting held true again, key the horse you like in the top spot and spread well, especially in the 3rd and 4th spot.

I have a sour taste in my mouth, but I still did ok overall

Stevie,

Good logical choice. Big Brown was talented and in form. You rightly ignored all the idiotic historical statistical noise, post position bull, and pedigree crap that the DRF boys and other racing touts are so fond of spouting.