PDA

View Full Version : Worst favorite since....?

JPinMaryland
05-02-2008, 09:44 AM
HOw many red flags do you need to see on Big Brown? Bad wheels, and only three races? Front wraps (new)? Oh did you know he's breaking from post 20? How about how he drifted halfway across the track in the home stretch? Or comes home in 26?

Yeah you're right. If none of this scares you, bet him with both hands. :jump:

SMOO
05-02-2008, 09:46 AM
So all I have to do to win is bet the other 19 horses, huh?

Valupix
05-02-2008, 10:07 AM
HOw many red flags do you need to see on Big Brown? Bad wheels, and only three races? Front wraps (new)?

I was just now typing up my Derby analysis and I have come to the conclusion this is the weakest in my memory. But for different reasons.

How do you know he will have front wraps on? Do you have some kind of info?

I have made my call based on the incredibly weak times in the final stages of his two dirt races. No winner in recent history has won the Derby off such weak to modest (very modest) finishing times.

The front wrap comment has my interest peaked. Would love to have clarification.

OTM Al
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Front wraps was talked about in the DRF yesterday I think. I can't find the article at the moment though but it was pretty well buried. It is because the horse has burned his feet in his previous races. The same feet that still have patched quarter cracks.

JPinMaryland
05-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Privman mentioned front wraps will be on for the derby on the Thur. evening tv show.

MNslappy
05-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Don't front wraps sometimes get used as a decoy of sorts in lower level races? Just wondering.....not saying this is the case here, because we all know BB has foot problems. But, Dutrow has gone out of his way to mention that "we're a betting stable" and that they've got something like 100 LARGE on him. Just kinda makes me wonder...

46zilzal
05-03-2008, 02:54 AM
Never changed leads in his last work out now the DRF reports as well.

Suppositionist
05-03-2008, 03:19 AM
From Brisnet:

DERBY THEY SAID IT

MAY 2, 2008

“It's just going to help protect where he burns a little bit. I'm sure he'll run the same race, but if he was to burn it might make us miss something, which we don't need to deal with. So I'll just protect him."

—Trainer Richard Dutrow, who revealed that BIG BROWN (Boundary) would wear front wraps, or bandages, in Saturday's Kentucky Derby (G1). Dutrow said it was a precautionary move in an attempt to prevent the colt from burning, or scraping, his right front heel

"I should have put them on him last time because he burned again, but I didn't. It didn't cost us anything. So, since he's done it a couple of times, I might as well put the front bandages on to protect him."

—Dutrow on Big Brown burning his heels in the Florida Derby (G1)

"He's got plenty of experience with the front bandages. Even after he ran the first two times, I kept front bandages on him every day just because you need to protect that little spot when you want to train him. He's very, very used to them."

—Dutrow on Big Brown wearing front bandages

how cliche
05-03-2008, 10:31 AM
It's because they don't want him to get claimed!