PDA

View Full Version : How fast does CD dry out?

sammy the sage
05-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Rain today...prob on top of the Oaks....the again over night/morning...should be dry for Derby...

Gonna play against co-favs....6,8 in the oaks for this fact alone...

Derby up in air due to weather? :bang: :eek:

Murph
05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Rain today...prob on top of the Oaks....the again over night/morning...should be dry for Derby...

Gonna play against co-favs....6,8 in the oaks for this fact alone...

Derby up in air due to weather? :bang: :eek:I believe if there is more than 1.5" of rain on the track within 24 hours before the 1st race, it will take all of Saturday to begin to dry. By the time the Derby runs the track may be dry to the cushion but CD has a reputation for being a heavy track to begin with, I think one of the reasons for that is the track tends to hold moisture for a good while compared to some other dirt surfaces. There will be around 90 minutes between races on the dirt track before the Derby. Watch the previous races for a clue and then try to monitor the track maintence crew and equipment on the dirt track before the Woodford Reserve and again before the running of the Derby.

A heavy track will compromise the streesed pace combatants, making it easier for one of the late commers to make the Grade passing them late. I am giving an extra bump to runners who have raced (not worked) over the track once before.

Murph

joanied
05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
I've been watching the weather too...and hope the crew can get the track in good shape for the derby....I hate it when we have rain on a big race day....like last year's BC...what a nightmare!!

Sure looks like they'll get wet, maybe even hail... I hope the rain waits until the Oaks is run, then maybe that it won't rain as much as expected.
Bad :ThmbDown: rain!!!