PDA

View Full Version : Anybody considering a boycott of the Derby?

JustRalph
05-02-2008, 12:48 AM
I am seriously considering just saying the hell with it and playing only Hollywood Park on Saturday. I never put much money into the Preakness anymore, since Maryland raised the taxes on signers etc.

So, I am two for three on a total boycott of the Triple Crown........... what the heck.....only one more.

jonnielu
05-02-2008, 06:16 AM
I am seriously considering just saying the hell with it and playing only Hollywood Park on Saturday. I never put much money into the Preakness anymore, since Maryland raised the taxes on signers etc.

So, I am two for three on a total boycott of the Triple Crown........... what the heck.....only one more.

You should be boycotting the taxes.

jdl

ryesteve
05-02-2008, 07:55 AM
We need a "I seldom, if ever, bet this race anyway" option

ManeMediaMogul
05-02-2008, 08:10 AM
No true horse racing fan would boycott the Kentucky Derby.

Thoroughbred racing is a sport first. The gambling is secondary.

Either you love the sport or you don't.

Either you bet the race or you don't.

Boycotting the Derby is idiocy.

Greyfox
05-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Best exotics race payouts of the year. I'm playing.

Murph
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Boycotting the Derby is idiocy. Boycotting CDI on Derby / Oaks makes perfect sense to me. I love horse racing and I don't have to bet on it to get my satisfaction. Let the track operators figure out how to get me to play more on line and on track both. I am not interested in expensive ammenities that I cannot use because I don't donate my cash to the slot machine bank rolls. I expect equal compensation and consideration as the new slots customers will recieve.

My recent conversations with Hoosier Park Racino will yield 5 additional live staffed terminals, 6 additional NEW wagering SAM's distributed throughout the simulcast wagering area, additional outside wagering stations both live and SAM when the crowds are expected exceed a certain attendence level. This may include most Saturday evening racing cards that are very popular for our Harness and Thoroughbred meeting here. In addition, they offered to replace the specific group of 15 yr old machines below the outter dining area.

I've agreed to wait until the thoroughbred meeting opens after Labor Day before comparing service levels of the employees of the various departments. It'll be interesting to see if they add the new machines and tellers as they promised for tomorrows racing cards. We'll see ...

Murph

Bruddah
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I will be boycotting The Triple Crown series. The first time ever, I will not have a bet down. Just for the record, I want to play my longshot pick Visionaire. I may have to do it with my local bookie, but I can't get track odds. (10-1 maximum payout) :(

Can anyone suggest a good offshore with Track odds. Especially one which will allow me to set the account up today and bet tomorrow. :ThmbUp:

Tom
05-02-2008, 11:53 AM

The profit is is the only consideration to the horsemen, who by your standards, hate the sport. I think you are right. I hope it rainsnon stops and the track is forced to cancel. I hope the drunken crowd in the infield does a million $$$ damage tot he place rioting when they do. Ihope the games gets such a black eye from the live ESPN coverage of it that Congress picks up the idea again of outlawing all internet wagering on racing. Then let's see the horsemen count their money - the SOB's.:lol:

Norm
05-02-2008, 01:06 PM
We need a "I seldom, if ever, bet this race anyway" option
That is where my vote would go. I'll bet two bucks on something to have a horse to cheer for, but serious betting on the Derby ? . . . no way. serious bets are for the allowance races at Belmont not the Kentucky Rodeo - uh - I mean Derby. This is a showpiece race for the industry so I hope things don't go too badly, but trying to pick a winner from this motley group defies the definition of handicapping.

ny0707ny
05-02-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't gamble anymore anyway. I have more fun watching. But I don't agree with gambling taxes anyway. I don't think gambling winnings should be taxed at all.

whipsaw
05-02-2008, 01:55 PM
due to...uh...circumstances i recently opened an account with bodog. customer service recommended a visa card, i filled out the online form, punched in my number, and the account was opened more or less instantly. no problems so far.

Niko
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
whipsaw, keep us informed on bodog....how easy it is to move money in and out etc....

Thanks.

Why boycott the Derby or Oaks, they're good for racing and are availabe everywhere (almost :blush: ). I'm boycotting the undercard which isn't hard to do because I can't bet it and I decided not to go to the track. 35 degrees and possible snow showers in the morning with a high of 50. I don't feel like fighting the crowds indoors and standing for 6 hours.

whipsaw
05-02-2008, 04:18 PM
i had no problem getting the money to them using a visa card. i haven't tried a withdrawal but they require a fax with a lotta i.d. kind of a drag but, all in all, probably a good thang.

chickenhead
05-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I think you guys have it backwards.....the Derby is boycotting us this year.

Bruddah
05-02-2008, 04:30 PM
due to...uh...circumstances i recently opened an account with bodog. customer service recommended a visa card, i filled out the online form, punched in my number, and the account was opened more or less instantly. no problems so far.

I now have an account with BoDog. I will be betting my favorite longshot, Visionaire. Plus, a few others to create exacta and Trifectas.

AS 'Tiny Tim' might say, and God Bless Us, one and all.

Good Luck Everyone :ThmbUp:

sevenall
05-02-2008, 08:28 PM

Stop the gambling on horse racing tomorrow...and see how long it takes for the tracks to close...

(it'll be a blur so don't blink)

juanepstein
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
OCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MNslappy
05-02-2008, 11:56 PM
OCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:

Burls
05-03-2008, 12:30 AM

I'm with ya, Ralph.
We'll bet Hollywood and chat politics in the War Room.

By the way, your latest av reminds me of an aged Larry Tate from Bewitched.

JustRalph
05-03-2008, 01:03 AM
After the heavy rain being thrown into the mix......... I thought it might be worth playing into the pools......so I put a little money into the pools..........betting against the favs

interesting responses. I will be playing Hollywood tomorrow though.

at this writing 43% say they could boycott.................

I would say Churchill/Twin Spires and the rest have really pissed a bunch of people off.

Tom
05-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Anybody considering a boycott of the Derby?

Twinspires.
Xpressbet.

JustRalph
05-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I can count at least three ADW's that went down in the last 20 minutes and didn't come back up ..............

I guess they forced a boycott