PDA

View Full Version : Racing World RIP

gm10
05-01-2008, 04:17 AM
The UK channel dedicated to American horse racing will be shut down.
Does anyone have anymore details? Will Magnabet continue? Is there any other way of getting HorseRacingTV in your living room?

andicap
05-01-2008, 09:38 AM
The UK channel dedicated to American horse racing will be shut down.
Does anyone have anymore details? Will Magnabet continue? Is there any other way of getting HorseRacingTV in your living room?

Rats -- it was a terrible channel (Racing World, not HRTV), but I'm still pissed.
Some days it would appear and some days not. Plus for some reason you can't get California tracks on TV here in the UK. Very erratic, but when it was on, Racing World was the only place here to get the HRTV tracks. (For Statesiders, At the Races, a good channel, carries the TVG tracks interpsersing its own commentary with the TVG anchors.)

I guess the only other option now is to watch online, which sucks because the quality is not nearly as good and there's about a 45-second delay. (that's not the end of the world, but the quality really is much poorer.)

Did you see an article about this or just heard something, hence the few details. Did you do a Google news search for a story? I gather VERY FEW people watched the channel in the UK, hence probably the reason for the shutdown. I don't know if Magna was paying to have its channel carried or they had to pay Magna. If the former, Magna's broke so it probably decided it wasn't worth the money to reach the UK market.

I'll probably cancel my Setanta Sports subscription 6 quid, $12, but is it really worth that much to watch NASN for Major League Baseball? Besides by cancelling I can send a message to Setanta about the importance of racing.

andicap
05-01-2008, 09:55 AM
OK, more details in this story
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/?p=4640

Basically Setanta Sports dropped the channel from its package because of lack of viewership, according to the story. So i will likely drop my Setanta subscription in protest.

gm10
05-01-2008, 11:44 AM
yep same here
i mainly had it for the 433 channel