PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown in the Belmont?

CBedo
04-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Anyone think that this year's Triple Crown trail might look something like the Funny Cide / Empire Maker set of races? Empire Maker, who was very lightly raced, was the big favorite, failed in the Derby, took off the Preakness and then won the Belmont (keying a good exacta for me to Ten Most Wanted if I remember correctly).

Just a thought.

The WindfallAngler
04-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Not even sure BB can get the 10 furlong trip (if indeed he is favored).

OTM Al
04-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Not even sure he is capable of running that many races in a row without injury.

Marshall Bennett
04-30-2008, 11:19 PM
If he can overcome the #20 post and win the derby , he'll have my vote .

Robert Fischer
04-30-2008, 11:41 PM
probably will not run the Belmont unless he wins the first two.

CBedo
05-01-2008, 12:00 AM
The reason I remember the Empire Maker Belmont so vividly was that I took about ten people to a restaurant/OTB for a Belmont Party, most of whom had never bet on a horse race, including my girlfriend. Since she liked the way he looked (or something almost as scientific), she made her first bet ever, $2 across the board, on Ten Most Wanted.

By my way of thinking, the Ten Most Wanted over Empire Maker exacta was underlayed, while the reverse was an overlay. Since I was in love with Empire Maker and wanted to take a staunch stand against Funny Cide, I had the exacta for over $100--one way!

As they were coming down the stretch, it appeared that Ten Most Wanted was going to get by Empire Maker, and my girlfriend was going crazy--going to cash her first bet ever. It's the last time I recall really screaming at the monitors and at her--"NO! NO! We want it this way! Don't pass him! We want it this way!"

She still laughs at me even now. It was great for the memory.....and oh yeah, the money too!

CBedo
05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I doubt if he loses if they would run BB in the Preakness. The question is whether they would bring him back for the Belmont. More than likely not, but maybe.

ny0707ny
05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
The reason I remember the Empire Maker Belmont so vividly was that I took about ten people to a restaurant/OTB for a Belmont Party, most of whom had never bet on a horse race, including my girlfriend. Since she liked the way he looked (or something almost as scientific), she made her first bet ever, $2 across the board, on Ten Most Wanted.

By my way of thinking, the Ten Most Wanted over Empire Maker exacta was underlayed, while the reverse was an overlay. Since I was in love with Empire Maker and wanted to take a staunch stand against Funny Cide, I had the exacta for over $100--one way!

As they were coming down the stretch, it appeared that Ten Most Wanted was going to get by Empire Maker, and my girlfriend was going crazy--going to cash her first bet ever. It's the last time I recall really screaming at the monitors and at her--"NO! NO! We want it this way! Don't pass him! We want it this way!"

She still laughs at me even now. It was great for the memory.....and oh yeah, the money too!

I actually had Empire Maker to win the Derby that year. I had him with Funny Cide and Peace Rules in a triple I had played. All three came in the money but I had the wrong order. I had Empire Maker on top.

I like Country Star for tomorrow in the Oaks. She is from Empire Maker. Her first dirt race though. Proud Spell is also very good.

I think we will hear a lot from Colonel John after the Derby. He looks like the horse with the most chance of developing into something out of the field we now have.