PDA

View Full Version : Correct Class Logic?

OverlayHunter
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
In today's (April 30th) 7th at HOL, a N1X Allowance at 8.5 F, Coast Guard was the favorite coming off 3 graded stakes efforts in which he was ITM in 2. His last start was a 1.5 length finish behind Colonel John.

This was clearly a big class drop but he finished 4th about 2 behind the winner. I know it's sometimes difficult to know the strength of talent in these races - from horses that will be running in the claiming ranks shortly to upcoming BC champs - and his figures didn't tower over some of the field and it may not be unreasonable to assume the competition in the last 3 may have taken a toll on him so it's not a total shock that he finished out of the money.

My question - Is there any reason to be generally suspicious of a horse dropping in this situation? It seems to me there isn't but I'm wondering if I'm missing some bit of logic somewhere.

asH
04-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Trainer usually trying to get easier competition for a confidence builder, so happens this may not have been that race, coupled with 23.5 46.45, 1:09.94 didn’t help Coast Guard’s chances on the lead. High Stakes Silver, Tangled Tango were too much for Coast Guard to overcome in this scenario. Good Race- Key Race?

OverlayHunter
05-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks, asH

Semipro
05-01-2008, 11:22 PM
In today's (April 30th) 7th at HOL, a N1X Allowance at 8.5 F, Coast Guard was the favorite coming off 3 graded stakes efforts in which he was ITM in 2. His last start was a 1.5 length finish behind Colonel John.

This was clearly a big class drop but he finished 4th about 2 behind the winner. I know it's sometimes difficult to know the strength of talent in these races - from horses that will be running in the claiming ranks shortly to upcoming BC champs - and his figures didn't tower over some of the field and it may not be unreasonable to assume the competition in the last 3 may have taken a toll on him so it's not a total shock that he finished out of the money.

My question - Is there any reason to be generally suspicious of a horse dropping in this situation? It seems to me there isn't but I'm wondering if I'm missing some bit of logic somewhere.If you have ask the answer is yes if you wonder then there has to be suspicion.

JustRalph
05-02-2008, 12:27 AM
If I remember right.........he didn't make the lead, and if he did, it wasn't for long.

He looked like a tired horse to me..............should ve had a break after the last one...........

plainolebill
05-02-2008, 01:22 AM
I agree Ralph, he didn't make the lead and he looked tired. Maybe Hoffman thought he'd get an easy one in before giving him a break.