PDA

View Full Version : DSL Modem Question

delayjf
04-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I was thinking of getting DSL connection through DSLExtreme. The price is right ( @ 20.00 dollars ) for their 3000/512kps service. I was looking to get a wireless network modem / router as I also wanted to be able to use my laptop in the kitchen /living room. DSLExtreme states that they will not support a router but if you want to use one it will have to adhere to the following:

configured in bridge mode and the third party router must support dynamic connections.

ADSL modem that supports rfc1483 bridge mode.

I’ve done searches on DSL modems to find one that is compatible but so far no luck.

Can anyone suggest a modem or a website where I can research for what I’m looking for? Any other advise?

Thanks in advance.

robert99
04-30-2008, 07:33 PM
The bridging is available on this Linksys ADSL device example below.
DSL is for cable modems and Belkin do a reliable router for one.
Why not ask the company what they mean by "support" ie is it that you buy, set up and maintain the router? Routers have been working for a range of cable modems for several years now. Surely they cannot have brought out a modem which is incompatible with industry standards.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:eU--rU-ePgUJ:www.sys2u.com/download/wag200g-ug.pdf+rfc1483+bridge+mode.dsl+modem&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

DJofSD
04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
DSLExtreme states that they will not support a router

Jeff, most of the time when a broadband provider says this what they mean is if there are any problems with your access to the internet -- of any type -- and you call their technical support for help, the very first they they will ask is if there's a router involved. If so, they make you take it out, first thing and hook your PC directly to the DSL MODEM.

One reason for doing that if there's a firewall in the router they will have problem performing remote diagnostics.

Taking the router out of the LAN is always a good technique to try on your own before any calls out for help. Putting it back into the LAN should be done in this way: power off the MODEM, power off the router, connect the router to the MODEM, power on the MODEM, wait a few seconds, power on the router, wait a few seconds, connect the router to the PC if your using a wired connection, elsewise, configure the wireless settings and attempt a wireless connection with your PC. It sounds terribly complication but trust me, it's not really.

Don't let that put you off. Subscribe, get things hooked up, preferably directly to the PC w/o the router. Then, put the router inbetween the PC and the MODEM. Should work right away or with very little configuration of the router required. D-Link and LinkSys are brands I have experience with along with AT&T's 2Wire.

In this day and age, as Robert said, I can not imagine any vendors router not functioning with any other vendors MODEM.

As to the wireless aspect, if your still situated in the same circumstances there in OC, get one of the new 802.11 draft N standard devices. Two reasons: it's damn faster and there's better security. If the laptop PC is not really new, you should invest in a new wireless adapter, USB or PCMCIA will work.

delayjf
05-01-2008, 12:54 PM
DJ,
That's exactly the case; they will make you remove the router. They also claim that the modem must work with Dynamic IP's. I always thought all modems could use a static or dynamic IP - is that correct?

DSLExtreme has modems that they will let you use, but since I wanted wireless anyway, I was going to purchase a combination modem/router. But if I' required to disconnect the router for them to provide support - will that work or would I just be better off getting the router separate?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

DJofSD
05-01-2008, 01:35 PM
That's exactly the case; they will make you remove the router. They also claim that the modem must work with Dynamic IP's. I always thought all modems could use a static or dynamic IP - is that correct?

DSLExtreme has modems that they will let you use, but since I wanted wireless anyway, I was going to purchase a combination modem/router. But if I' required to disconnect the router for them to provide support - will that work or would I just be better off getting the router separate?

I'm not sure I understand why they're bringing up the requirement for dynamic IPs.

For you the gain access to the internet via their servers, they will assign an IP address to you. This address can and will change if you are subscribing and do not need a static address. If you're hosting a web site, you need a static address. I would guess you're just looking for normal internet access like the majority of users and like me.

One of the functions a router provides is managing IP addresses on your LAN. These are addresses used on your side of the MODEM for your LAN and nothing else. The scheme used to manage this is called DHCP -- dynamic something or other (I'm too lazy to go look up the acronym). The DHCP function is usually grouped in the Wide Area Network (WAN) part of what is in the router. Typically, the router will clone the IP address the ISP has assigned to your MODEM.

So here's my thinking: the ISP is telling you to make sure the router uses dynamic addressing so that if they assign you a new IP address then your router will be able to clone the new address so that you will continue to be able to access the internet. This is opposed to a scheme were you have manually set the IP address of the router. If you manually set the router IP address then the ISP changed the address they assigned to you, there would be a breaking of the internet connection -- the router and the MODEM wouldn't be able to pass internet message traffic.

(BTW, yes, you can assign a fixed IP address to a router. If you wanted to use more than one router in a LAN, there can be only one DHCP boss. The second router would need to have a hard address set, DHCP services turned off and then you'd end up with a fancy switch).

I've had one experience with a combined MODEM and router. That was the AT&T 2Wire unit. Worked fine. I never had any reason to call for support but since it was their box I assume there would not be any issues with the router being a part of the configuration.

Other than the instance using AT&T DSL for internet access, I've always had stand alone equipment separate from the MODEM. Right now I'm using Time Warner Cable and their combo cable MODEM for both internet and VoIP telephone service. My LAN is built around a D-Link DI-655 router which gives me 4 wired ports (1 Gb) and 802.11N wireless (damn fast).