whobet
04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
LAUREL:

LOL, at LAUREL,

it's just like every other day,

except some women come,

and it's hard to get a good simul seat at 5:00,

they don't do anything special,

and they wonder why nobody comes any more.

silverbulletday
04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
When I lived in Lexington, Keeneland went all out. Free to get in, at least one band playing, free popcorn, cheap cokes and hotdogs and I think free programs for the Derby. One year they almost broke an attendance record, which for Keeneland is saying something. Class Act orginization especially compared to Churchill.

1st time lasix
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
All the seats in the clubhouse of my dogtrack venue are reserved. They restrict access to the second floor to the regulars who have the reservations. A few extra people {some ladies}without seats come in throughout the entire day making it pretty darn crowded around five. Particularly around the bar. The venue itself does nothing. Absolutely nothing which is par for the course there. They have a new poker room that gets all the attention...any freebies....and all the new amenities. The horse players that carried the place for years are second class citizens. Dirty bathroom, old furnature, poor lighting, not enough wagering machines, even 15 year old tv monitors. Nobody by nobody there bets the dogs. They only run them the minimal amount of time to have the poker room.

McSock
04-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Normal race days I would be sitting at a large table, usually alone since the OTB does not have the people it once had. A lot of the gamblers that no longer go to this OTB is due to lack of customer service on the OTB part. On big race days they reserve all seating. 3 monthis ago I ask for a 2 seat table to be held for me. I was told that would not be a problem. A month ago I tried to pay for the table and was told the lady that normally does it ( the one I spoke to ) had been off a few days and they had given out all of the 2 seat tables. I would have to share a larger table, or sit in the cheaper section of the OTB. I was boiling mad. Atleast I go more than 4 days a year and support the local OTB. Also, I had asked for a small table months in advance before they were taken. So, I will be watching it on TV and placing my bets online, hopefully I will never step foot in that OTB again.

cnollfan
04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Horsemen's Park in Omaha does a nice job. Some reserved seats, some free on a first-come basis. Free T-shirts to the first 800 or so. Mint juleps served in Derby glasses.

njcurveball
04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Going to a simulcast place on Derby Day is like going to get bread before a snow storm. :mad:

Most of the regulars stay away on that day when they would probably churn their largest handle of the year.

Instead the tracks do nothing or even worse alienate their best customers. So instead of bringing $200 or $300 and churning a handle of $2,000 or $3,000, the regulars will advance bet and watch at home.

Their "place" is taken by 5 tourists who wager about $20 each and don't come back for a year.

Managment would be intelligent (and there is a contradiction) to walk around in March and April and OFFER their regulars the same accomodations for Derby Day.

Free t-shirts, hats, and glasses are nice for people who want to flip them on Ebay for a few bucks, but this game is about racing and betting. :ThmbUp:

garyscpa
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Free entry, free breakfast.

1GCFAN
04-30-2008, 10:41 PM
:) Bypassing the BEU's private party room for the Orleans:

Enjoy a full-day of racing action and information in the Mardi Gras Ballroom. Doors open at 7:25am

Watch all the Derby Day races on giant, hi-def plasma screens. Nationally-acclaimed handicappers Ralph Siraco and Jon Lindo will conduct a horse-by-horse analysis of the big race.:)

HEY DUDE
04-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Hazel Park!!! :lol: Need I say more. Will stay home and bet online.

GaryG
05-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Colonial Downs' Scott County OTB doesn't do anything different but it is still a good place to hang out. They know the regulars by name and also know what your preferences are. Girls to flirt with too.....:eek:

BombsAway Bob
05-01-2008, 11:59 AM
The Duck Mill Bar & Grill & OTB. It's clean, no lines at the Sam machine, FREE Food & Drink, Free Cigar with every winning Dime Super over $100! Derby menu includes Brunch, Iced Coffee,& Diet Moxie early; then Espresso Pizza & Silver Bullets for the Big Race! Suffolk opening day simulcast on the second screen.
I love betting from my house with TVG & Twinspires!

crownx
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
MANOR DOWNS outside Austin,Texas

They go all out, for the day..

They hire 1 extra beer girl to sell draft beers for $4.00 and add at least 2 extra tellers so the lines only avg 20 or 30 deep with 15 min to post.

Then what can you expect from the 1st place in Texas to except pari mutual wagers.

What a Joke, but I might be there if the ADW crap doent get resolved