*admission charge
*parking charge
*the jerk hollering "stop the race" at the first call
*berating a jock as he/she comes off the track
*touts
*losing a photo
*lack of volume during the race
*clerks errors that cost us money
*pickpockets ( friend got nailed 2 sats ago @ Laurel)
*being taken down
*foul bathrooms
*unpleasant help (see Hollywood Park-Belmont)

The Best:) :

*Post Parades
*Cashing winners/signing
*Kids watching the horses on the track
*Special Events
*Stretch duels
*winning a photo
*clerks errors that give us winners
*being put up
*friendly help (see Keeneland and Oaklawn)

I'm know others have different ideas; chime in.

MNslappy
04-29-2008, 06:42 PM

*Post Parades
*Cashing winners/signing
*Special Events
*Stretch duels
*winning a photo
*being put up

*The sound of a thundering stampede past the grandstand
*Beautiful women in sundresses :cool:

jballscalls
04-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Its funny you mention the thundering of hooves as they go by. Because i'm not a poly hater like some, but it sure minimizes the thundering!!! its like they are totally quiet running by.

Marshall Bennett
04-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Its funny you mention the thundering of hooves as they go by. Because i'm not a poly hater like some, but it sure minimizes the thundering!!! its like they are totally quiet running by.
Of course they could add sound effects and at least make it sound real , huh ?

NY BRED
04-29-2008, 08:44 PM
being at the track in the early Am watching works

*Post Parades
*Cashing winners/signing
*Special Events
*Stretch duels
*winning a photo
*being put up

I'm know others have different ideas; chime in.[/QUOTE]

Bruddah
04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Worst:

1. gasoline costs (prices) going to and from the track.

Best: in order of preference:

1. cashing winners and seeing the smile on the tellers face, when tipped generously.

3. Excellent thick corned beef sandwiches (at Oaklawn)

2. Beautiful women dressed to kill. Especially, on big race days. I had to flip for positions 2 & 3. Thank goodness, the ladies won the toss. ;) :lol:

InsideThePylons-MW
04-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Worst:

Having a track GM come up to you and tell you that because you are a winner (and their highest volume bettor), it's a privilege they let you bet there.

Best:

Having a track GM come up to you and tell you that because you are a winner (and their highest volume bettor), it's a privilege they let you bet there. Decide to find a rebate shop, never make a bet at that track again and take the game to a new level.

bigmack
04-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Worst:

Having a track GM come up to you and tell you that because you are a winner (and their highest volume bettor), it's a privilege they let you bet there.

Best:

Having a track GM come up to you and tell you that because you are a winner (and their highest volume bettor), it's a privilege they let you bet there. Decide to find a rebate shop, never make a bet at that track again and take the game to a new level.
Bravo. Nice tale.

jballscalls
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Of course they could add sound effects and at least make it sound real , huh ?

you ever heard a race at Arlington Park on TV??

Valuist
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Kind of like the canned crowd noise at Arlington.

cj's dad
04-29-2008, 10:08 PM
you ever heard a race at Arlington Park on TV??

Sounds like the same people every day!!??

cj's dad
04-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Worst:

Best: in order of preference:

1. cashing winners and seeing the smile on the tellers face, when tipped generously.

3. Excellent thick corned beef sandwiches (at Oaklawn)

2. Beautiful women dressed to kill. Especially, on big race days. I had to flip for positions 2 & 3. Thank goodness, the ladies won the toss. ;) :lol:

Re:#1- very friendly tellers and people in general.

Re: #3 Arkansas derby Day near the sports bar -the women were unbelievable

Re:#2- Best I've ever had - had 3 in 2 days

BTW- whats with the "topless karaoke" bar. Certain poster on this board wouldn't go there, so alas we didn't go.:(

jballscalls
04-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Sounds like the same people every day!!??

Yeah, even when its raining and nobody is outside LOL i like it though, definately adds something.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Same sound every day. Pretty disappointing when you know about it.

They have the canned bell start and hoof beats at Hawthorne as well. One day there was an unexpected late act up in the gate delaying the start, but the tv/sound person goofed started the tape/machine - horses still in gate, but the bell sound ringing and the hooves sound going, and Peter Galasi making the best of this situation with the well-timed dry joke - "Not Yet".

The hoof beats keep going fast even after they are well past the wire and cooling out until they stop the tape/machine.

Doc
05-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Tearing up tickets and throwing them on the floor is just one of those things that you do when you go to the track. It's a tradition of sorts. It's almost like thumbing your nose at track management for instituting those high takeout rates, or charging outrageous prices for a rubbery hot dog and watered-down beer. I couldn't imagine a clean racetrack floor. I'd much rather see people chucking tickets than some old guy spitting.

cj's dad
05-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Tearing up tickets and throwing them on the floor is just one of those things that you do when you go to the track. It's a tradition of sorts. It's almost like thumbing your nose at track management for instituting those high takeout rates, or charging outrageous prices for a rubbery hot dog and watered-down beer. I couldn't imagine a clean racetrack floor. I'd much rather see people chucking tickets than some old guy spitting.

It's just not done at certain tracks (Keeneland comes immediately to mind). I guess it's a regional thing.

Bruddah
05-01-2008, 01:53 PM
BTW- whats with the "topless karaoke" bar. Certain poster on this board wouldn't go there, so alas we didn't go.

But if it's there, I darn sure will find it, next year. Nothing like taking the strain off the eyes from reading the PP's all weekend. :lol: :ThmbUp:

The Hawk
05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Re:#1- very friendly tellers and people in general.

Re: #3 Arkansas derby Day near the sports bar -the women were unbelievable

Re:#2- Best I've ever had - had 3 in 2 days

BTW- whats with the "topless karaoke" bar. Certain poster on this board wouldn't go there, so alas we didn't go.:(

I read this out of order and at first thought he had 3 women in 2 days, and I had a whole new respect for CJ's Dad.

eastie
05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
*first time turfers with great feet
*alone on the rail clocking mud feet in the rain at saratoga or anywhere for that matter
*winning a long photo after getting up last jump
*giving instructions in the post parade
*Rasta bathrooms where you can puff half a joint after a tough beat
*having the best spot in the best lot at Saratoga (thanks Chip)
*getting up at 7 a.m. to put the chairs out at saratoga
*the chairs still being there when we get there for the double
*watching guys cheer who use their program as a whip
*watching guys cheer who snap their fingers and pretend to throw reins
*full fields
*the colorful cast of characters that prove truth is stranger than fiction

the bad :
*redboarders
*jocks who think they can win a race after being hung out 6 wide on the first turn (either go or take back,,,duh)
*jockeys who don't understand when there is a track bias or how to ride it.
*bad beats
*3 out of 4, 1st 2nd and fourth, 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th.

cj's dad
05-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I read this out of order and at first thought he had 3 women in 2 days, and I had a whole new respect for CJ's Dad.

I just turned 60; so.... thats not happening>:lol:

badcompany
05-02-2008, 01:29 AM
The worst:bang: :

*the jerk hollering "stop the race" at the first call

I'm know others have different ideas; chime in.

That same jerk rooting for the same horse that you, yourself, bet:(

Suppositionist
05-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Worst:

Short fields

Odds -on winners

When a win feels like a loss. You think you are on a live 15-1 longshot at fifteen minutes to post. Then at twelve minutes to post the track handicappers come on the tv to give their analysis of the race and they gush for two minutes about your 15-1 shot. You spend the next ten minutes watching your 15-1 shot get bet down to 4-1. Of course it wins like a champ but by then it’s anti climactic.

Best:

The walk from your car to the stands filled with anticipation of a good day.

Having that anticipated good day (especially when your day is made early).

You lose track of your horse during the running of a race as they bunch up coming out of the turn only to realize that that’s your horse who found a hole on the rail and charged through it to make the front just in time.

Longshots ambling up for third to make your trifecta. Cha-ching!

S