PDA

View Full Version : Constructing Bets in the Derby

JustRalph
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Anybody like to share and offer advice on how to construct bets on the KY Derby ? Exacta-Tri-Super construction???

This is one area that I find I lack skills and I have to concentrate very much on how I do these things. I would love to hear any advice ................

Stevie Belmont
04-29-2008, 03:19 PM
My approach on Derby zactas and tri's

I take a few different routes. The horse I like the most or feel good about is used on top. I don't really wheel horses in exactas, but in the Derby I like to do this. If you have the winner, and a nice bombarooski runs under you have it.

And for a Derby tradition bet, I like to play a 5 horse exacta box. The year Giacomo won he was in my box, but no Closing Argument.

Tri's are not really my game, but on Derby day I play a few.

And you don't have to wheel. Play some of the horses you like for 2nd...or price horses. Tris can be pricey.

Once again I like to key a horse in the top spot and play some with prices/or horses you like in the place and show spot. If your not sure or have a solid opinion on the race, play a few in the top spot. I like to look for value in these types of bets. Some times the payoffs, as we all know can be juicy.

We all have egos and hate to be wrong, but sometimes you will be wrong in this sport. Take a few chances, think outside the box. Anything can happen. 20 horses in there.

Kennedy
04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Play like you always do. Don't feel the need to start branching out and trying bets you're not comfortable with just because it's a big day. Stick with what works for you the other 364 days a year. If that means a "boring" win bet and simple exacta then so be it.

MNslappy
04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Probably great advice. I wouldn't know, I always end up chasing those HUGE tris and supers with tickets that look like 1 with 2,3,4,5 with 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. :bang: Some day I'll learn.

classhandicapper
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I think enough of the top horses are sufficiently likely to be "all or nothing" to spread around in some exotics.

BombsAway Bob
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
The only days I want to spread in vertical wagers are big money/full field days; Triple Crown,B.C.,Saratoga,etc.
My favorite play is to find a mid-pack runner or closer to key under my winning horse in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & (this Year) 5th spots in the Exacta/Tri/Super/SHF.
With $50 limit, I would play 4 tickets (for examples below, my key horse is the #13)

$1 SHF(1)(2,3,4)(2,3,4,)(6,7,8)(13)=$18
$1 Super(1)(2,3,4)(2,3,4,5,6,7)(13)=$15
$1 Tri(1)(2,3,4,5,6,7)(13)=$6
$1 Tri(2,3,4,5,6,7)(1)(13)=$6
$5 exacta(1)(13)=$5
With big fields, the winner can be any price, & if your key horse is double digits, you could be signing a W2G!
Good Luck & Bombs Away!-Bob

Robert Fischer
04-29-2008, 09:15 PM
win- dutch up to 2 or 3 selections
exacta- kind of an extended win group, mostly your actual win trio on top
tri - tough to balance coverage with your extended win group
super - anyone can come in 4th except the cheapest of speeds with bad pedigree

how confident I am in my win group affects how willing I am to cover 3rd/4th slot wagers:eek: