PDA

View Full Version : Why no AE's for the Derby?

jballscalls
04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Richie P. on Tvg just posed a good question, why don't they allow Also Eligables for the derby?? Just seems like it sucks if the fillies cross enter, dont get the spot they want then scratch, then that shafts one or two horses doesnt it??

ryesteve
04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Maybe because of all the advance wagering on the Derby?

saratoga guy
04-28-2008, 06:43 PM
TTimes: http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2008/April/26/Eligibility-rule-becoming-annual-hot-topic-Derby-week.aspx

"It’s an annual conversation, and it seems to make sense that we would have an also-eligible list, but the unique nature of the Derby makes it difficult,” Churchill General Manager Jim Gates said. “The post draw is Wednesday night, and wagering begins Thursday. The only time you could have an [also-eligible] draw in would be between the post draw and Thursday morning..."

stu
04-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Can you imagine getting this phone call?

Hello, owner of number 21st on the graded earnings list. I have good news and bad news for you. #1 scratched and you draw in to the race IN POST POSITION 20.

Or can you imagine getting this phone call?

Hello, owner of number 11th on the graded earnings list. Your jockey gave first preference to Zito/Pletcher runner who was 21st on the graded earnings list and just scratched into the race. You have to name another rider for your horse as soon as possible.

boomman
04-29-2008, 02:46 AM
There ABSOLUTELY should be an AE List for the Derby, and I don't care if the time frame is fifteen minutes (which of course, it isn't) Any owner who has the 21st horse and has to watch as someone scratches and he doesn't get in would be right to be upset. And so what if he draws a bad post? That's all part of being 21st preferred in earnings. Helps keep the race filled for the bettors, more $ in purse, and guy on the bubble gets in.....Must make too much sense for Churchill to adopt:D

Boomer

Valupix
04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Friday's advance wagering, the Oaks-Derby Double, the new Calder Turf-Derby Double and future advance wager gimmicks Churchill may try in the next few years.

Late scratches still allow these wagers proceed without any technical problems but a horse drawing in after the wagering pools have opened makes them technically impossible.

Valupix
04-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Friday's advance wagering, the Oaks-Derby Double, the new Calder Turf-Derby Double and future advance wager gimmicks Churchill may try in the next few years.

Late scratches still allow these wagers proceed without any technical problems but a horse drawing in after the wagering pools have opened makes them technically impossible.

Forget the Calder-Derby comment. (Brain still warming up this morning)

njcurveball
04-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Can you imagine getting this phone call?

Hello, owner of number 21st on the graded earnings list. I have good news and bad news for you. #1 scratched and you draw in to the race IN POST POSITION 20.

I dont see any problem with this. I would much rather be in post 20 with my horse than trying to get in another race.

Tom
04-29-2008, 11:22 AM
AE list?

20 not enough already???? :eek:
I say limit it to one gate and have an AE list for that.