PDA

View Full Version : Betting fillies and mares first half year?

so.cal.fan
04-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Anyone think they are a little less reliable than colts and geldings?
Breeding season being the possible cause?
I was having a bad run with these at Santa Anita.....so I got off them, only to have two win, back to back.......SIGH
Anyway, got back on them at Hollywood, and haven't cashed a ticket.
Coincidence or problem?
My husband likes Fillies and Mares in the fall and early winter.
Hates them in the Spring.
I sort of steer clear of them at Santa Anita and Hollywood, but like them at Del Mar and Oak Tree. Exception.....South American/Aust.or NZ bred in the spring which is their fall south of equator.
Truth or myth?

nobeyerspls
04-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I haven't noticed a seasonal difference but I do handicap filly/mare races differently. With the boys I put a premium on recency but I value time off with the girls. The more the better. In a filly sprint my first screen is the day of the last race. Six to eight weeks off with decent works is ideal. My biggest score was May 1st of last year at Woodbine. The filly had two dismal races as a two year old with the last one in December and was working well on the polytrack for a solid time-off trainer. She keyed a huge superfecta.
As to the breeding angle, I don't think that the females come into season while in training. When I bred one that had been racing we had to wait a bit before breeding her.

thelyingthief
04-28-2008, 09:09 AM
fillies season differently by geographical location. google it.

tlt