PDA

View Full Version : Tomlinson Ratings

Rexdale You
02-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Does anybody have input on the Tomlinson ##,,,, I have taken them into account a few times with moderate results,,,,Would like to hear from fulltime handicappers,,,,Thanks,,,Rexdale You,,,,:D :D :confused:

Tom
02-16-2003, 06:11 PM
I use them religiously. For off tracks, turf and for distance. When a hore is stretching out, I always check to see if there is an edge in the tommies. When several horse are clustered together, they lose their impact. Ihave been using them for years-used to buy them before DRF got them locked up. They offer some clues in off track and distance ability in young horses. for turf, I only use them for the first-second time on grass, maybe third if there is some doubt. By the time a horse if 0-3 on turf, I don't want it anymore.

Derek2U
02-16-2003, 07:09 PM
A time ago I asked about the TOM... ratings ... if I recall the response was NiL ... but heres my latest thinking about them:
in essence, they will dissapoint you. Too many horses get the
green light that, for all practical uses, they are useless. Maybe
the WET rating is best; the Distance & Turf ratings sucK. UMM ..
hey its a gimmick & I'm not critcising the guy for $$ on it, but
if he had a rating that helped IT got lost somehow. How many
peeps over 7 feet tall weigh more than 150 lbs ... heheh u see
what I mean?

BillW
02-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Derek, have you tried using them in a negative manner i.e. do low numbers successfully take you off an incapable horse on the turf?

Second question for Tom: Has there been any noticeable dilution since they have been published in the form a la Beyers?

Bill

Derek2U
02-16-2003, 07:30 PM
i see ur point .. yeah i get worried when a LOW t rating would
make me happier if it was High. **** DJC

Tom
02-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by BillW
Derek, have you tried using them in a negative manner i.e. do low numbers successfully take you off an incapable horse on the turf?

Second question for Tom: Has there been any noticeable dilution since they have been published in the form a la Beyers?

Bill
Seem that it's been a long time since I saw a royally bred turf firster going off at 15-1 anymore. More chalk than used to be, but that is just unscientific opinion, no records or db results to back it up. But I used to catch at least 5-6 BIG horese at Tam-GP every winter - but that was a few years ago.
(I too use low numbers as negative.)

cj
02-16-2003, 09:41 PM
I find the best use for them is horses stretching out. They seem to work well for me as a positive and a negative.

I seem to have noticed lately a lot of low rated Tomlinson's running well first on the turf. Not scientific or anything, just observation.

I don't play when the track is off usually, so I can't speak for those.

CJ

midnight
02-17-2003, 01:27 AM
If you want good pedigree ratings for mud and turf, get Danny Sera's ratings at ITS. They're something like $45 a month for unlimited daily downloads for all tracks, and they're as good as mud/turf numbers get. I used to sit with Dan once in a while in the Gold Coast racebook. Big guy, heavy set, deep voice, no nonsense attitude about his business. He does all his ratings by hand, manually, one at a time, adjusting them constantly. He says the best mud sire of all time is Carson City. He told lots of stories about Julie Krone (told before she came out of retirement). I've seen him walk up to the window and play the most impossible looking horses on a muddy track. Of course, they didn't all win, but he caught some $50+ mutuels.

They aren't a standalone method, of course, but they're a good supplement to your handicapping for wet (not holding) tracks and turf races with unknowns.

RECON
02-17-2003, 07:25 AM
I TOO HAVE MET DANNY SERA, I KNOW HIM FROM THE PALACE STATION IN VEGAS, AND HE'S GOOD WITH THE NUMBERS---- HE IS NO AFRAID TO GIVE YOU ADVISE IF YOU ASK