PDA

View Full Version : Who Will win The 2008 Kentucky Derby??

Kaufman Stables
04-26-2008, 12:12 AM
ALright fellow Handicappers the Derby is Next Saturday, lets here some thoughts on who will step up and begin their Triple Crown Run its been 1978 one year before I was born when we had the last one...I heard Big Brown was flying in his last workout and might be force to be messed with!!

Joe Kaufman

happy handicapping

handicappersdream

Gibbon
04-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Smooth Air.

Correct running style for field.
Competitive final time figs.
Can run in anticipated fast pace.
Cruz knows how to ride.
Awaiting post position draw...

joanied
04-26-2008, 05:30 PM
I am waiting for the draw on Wensday...I guess I can post my list---
Col.John
Visionaire
Gayego
Cool Coal Man
Pyro
Big Brown
Tale of Ekati

Anyone else still as undecided as :rolleyes: I am

Smooth Air has spiked a temperature...he's iffy now.
Joe...the one thing I'd be willing to bet on this year is a different horse winning each leg...just don't seem :( a Triple Crown is in the air this year, IMHO :eek:

Shenanigans
04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Colonel John
Adriano
?

ny0707ny
04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
I have my horse about 90% sure of him now. Post positions may change it. If he gets post 20...:( Just want to see his last workouts.

DJofSD
04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Smooth Air spiked a fever a couple of days ago.

If he doesn't go, I sure hope Eight Belles decides to run against the boys. This will ensure a fast pace and set it up for my winner.

Semipro
04-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Big Brown I know so many don't want that to happen but Big Brown will win.

fmhealth
04-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Big Brown will be the favorite & get most of the media attention. Thus, I'll go with PYRO. Throw out the BG & his form & class are impeccable. He'll be a good price & think with a reasonable trip he runs them all down in the final 1/8.

Best of luck!
FMH

WJ47
04-27-2008, 01:34 AM
I haven't watched the replays or seen many of the PPs yet. At the moment, I like Pyro. I haven't seen any of Big Brown's races, but I hear they're really good. I've got to get some time to watch some replays this week.

Bruddah
04-27-2008, 02:53 AM
I am undecided between these two;

Visionaire and Gayego :ThmbUp:

Shenanigans
04-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I didn't care for Adriano's work today. Watched a clip of it and he looked like he was struggling with the surface. It looked a little cuppy and of course it won't be that way Derby Day but I wonder how much this horse is really more a turf runner than dirt runner.

BeatTheChalk
04-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Big Brown I know so many don't want that to happen but Big Brown will win.

Just curious. Why don't the folks want him to win ? :bang: Ok maybe the
Fed EX employees...I can understand. :jump:

HUSKER55
04-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Big Brown is the horse to beat and I think Gayego will do it

I hope, I hope, I hope
:)

sevenall
04-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Just curious. Why don't the folks want him to win ? :bang: Ok maybe the
Fed EX employees...I can understand. :jump:

You of anyone (with your forum name) should know the answer to your question...

It's all about the Benjamins...who wants the chalk to win?

Irish Boy
04-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Visionaire looks very intriguing to me right now. I don't think he'll have the best chance to win, but I have a feeling he might be the best value play. Recapturetheglory is another one.

If I had to say which horse is best, I'm leaning Colonel John.

nickjohnson7
04-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Im hoping Colonel John since I got him at 14-1 odds.

Mag
04-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Bob Black Jack.

joanied
04-28-2008, 01:47 PM
I still have my long list :bang: and still undecided... waiting for the draw, and even then, it's going to be hard, and if Eight belles runs in the Derby...that'll make it even harder :eek:
As of today, my top three are Col. John, Visionaire & Gayego.
Then there's.....:lol:

joanied
04-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Bob Black Jack.

Do you know who's going to ride BBJ....Richie :ThmbUp: Mig!!!
Do you know he actually had a dream that BBJ wins the Derby??

ny0707ny
04-28-2008, 01:50 PM
I still have my long list :bang: and still undecided... waiting for the draw, and even then, it's going to be hard, and if Eight belles runs in the Derby...that'll make it even harder :eek:
As of today, my top three are Col. John, Visionaire & Gayego.
Then there's.....:lol:

A female has won the Derby only 3 times ever. Twice it happened in the 1980s. I think the females have a tough time since they can't run as fast as the males. In most cases at least.

cnollfan
04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
They also have a tough time because they usually run in the Oaks instead. If you don't run you can't win. I think that fillies are something like 3 for 38 in the Derby, which is about par with the boys

joanied
04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
I think fillies vs colts is always fun...and most fillies can run the same numbers...the ones that beat the boys are usually, as fillies go, bigger, stronger and have a great mind.
Eight Belles looks more like a colt....and if she has the mind set, no reason we can't see her in the winner's circle. If she runs.
My two cents
:jump:

The WindfallAngler
04-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Colonel John.

lilmegahertz
04-28-2008, 08:23 PM
I cannot decide between Bob Black Jack, Colonel John, Big Brown or Visionaire.....maybe I will just do a superfecta and stop trying to figure it out.....sigh.:bang:

Shenanigans
04-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Bob Black Jack.

He looked terrible galloping. Besides, he's built for sprinting.

joanied
04-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm gonna post my pick(s) after the draw tomorrow:jump:

Wickel
04-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I was leaning toward Colonel John, but now I'm putting Cowboy Cal in the equation. He ran a bang-up race in the Bluegrass, holding on tenaciously to miss by a neck. The big question mark, of course, is his first trip over a dirt surface. But I like the fact that he has the early speed to stay with the first flight and stay out of trouble in this huge field. I believe he can get the distance, and if Big Brown or any of the frontrunners make any mistakes, it's his for the taking. Pletcher has been under the radar this throughout the Derby preps. With the pressure off, could it finally be his time to strike?

Marlin
04-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Do you know who's going to ride BBJ....Richie :ThmbUp: Mig!!!
Do you know he actually had a dream that BBJ wins the Derby??I had a dream that (son of Indian Charlie can't recall) was going to win his edition. The dream was incredibly vivid. I didn't like the horse at all but had to bet a couple bucks. Up the track. LOL:)

Tex9Down
04-30-2008, 03:18 AM
I like Colonel John and Pyro. But I will have to put some money on the fillies, Eight Bells or Proud Spell if they go.