PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to the "NYPD Blues" standard?

Indulto
04-24-2008, 05:56 PM
I believe CJ asked (in reply #27) that if one wanted to discuss the matter further, to do so in off-topic, where it rightly belongs. A very reasonable request, in my opinion. Usually, when people don't honor reasonable requests such as that one, the only recourse is to delete any off-topic replies that continue to be submitted into the affected thread. If it was me who made that request, I would have simply deleted Indulto's follow-up....but everyone knows that CJ is a nicer guy than I would ever hope to be....

In closing, I would suggest that CJ's actions were quite appropriate, even given his statement that the deleted text did not personally offend him. CJ is a moderator, and acted upon the knowledge that the deleted text DID OFFEND a fellow board member. Now, given that this deleted text in question had nothing to do with horse racing, and was ultimately little more than a silly side note, I find it rather amusing that this much time and energy has been wasted arguing against its ultimate demise.I find it amusing also, and don't really care one way or another, and I'm sure this post will be long gone. However Mr. PA you walk a slippery slope. Removing a post because one person is offended? Holy-politically correct. In that case I'm thinking that since you called my side note silly. And silly can mean feeble minded, I'm offended that you make light of the mentally handicapped. I hope a more sensitive moderator removes your post.It wasn't simply because one person was offended. It was also because the comment itself wasn't worth keeping, so it was an easy call, one person or not.

Context is everything.

Now, any further talk about this in this thread will be removed. If you wish to discuss further, I'm available via private message, email and/or Off-Topic.PA,
Per your instructions -- and at your pleasure -- I'd like to re-establish the dialogue in off-topic.

I accept that the role of moderators is a thankless, but necessary one. It does seem, however, that the above standard you so eloquently expressed -- and intelligently implemented -- no longer applies.

But even if a moderator chose to act because he felt even that generous guideline was being exceeded, wouldn't merely deleting the word "infant" from the "offending" 3-word phrase have accomplished the same result? IMO the least intrusive surgery is preferable to censorship.

I would prefer that trying2weep and others whose sensitivity threshhold is so low as to border on intolerance just use the ignore facility to protect their delicate antennae instead of trying2shutpeopleup.

At the very least, IMO, requests for "immoderator" action should be severely limited as to occurrence and frequency, and posters making such requests privately should be identified publicly when editorial action is taken on their request.

You know, in addition to the ignore facility, perhaps it would be nice if we could have a pseudonym-substitution facility whereby any designated poster's pseudonym could appear to a specific poster as a string (and avatar?) chosen by the viewer. :D

cj
04-25-2008, 01:41 AM
The comment took the thread completely off topic. That had more to do with it than anything else. It also didn't offend just one person. Others complained via PM. I'm still flabbergasted, however, that you feel "fortunate" to have been able to read the questionable post.

There is a comment in the off topics section currently which I feel should be addressed as well. It is in the Danica Patrick thread. How do you feel about that one?

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2008, 01:51 AM
There were many factors at work in that thread, and despite my inclination NOT to get down and dirty with the nuts and bolts of my thinking on the matter, I suppose it's best that all cards get laid on the table.

It's going to take A LOT for me to go against the decision of one of the moderators helping me out here on the forums, both in action and in verse. And certainly what occured in the Calder thread didn't even come close to me disagreeing even one bit with CJ.
The thread in question was about racing, Calder, takeout rates, etc. It wasn't about child abuse or jokes about punching infants, thus deleting that comment, in my view, doesn't go against any policy past or present. Because the comment didn't have a thing to do with racing made it that much easier to justify its removal.
That particular comment obviously brought out a negative reaction in at least one member of our community, so much so that he chose to express himself publicly and request it be deleted. This RARELY if every happens, as I'm sure you will agree.
Given 2 and 3 from above, I came to the conclusion that it was a "good shoot."

Indulto
04-25-2008, 04:14 AM
The comment took the thread completely off topic. That had more to do with it than anything else. It also didn't offend just one person. Others complained via PM. I'm still flabbergasted, however, that you feel "fortunate" to have been able to read the questionable post.

There is a comment in the off topics section currently which I feel should be addressed as well. It is in the Danica Patrick thread. How do you feel about that one?First of all, let’s make certain we're talking about the same post. It is my understanding that post #20 in that thread contained the offending phrase:Yes genius. If you own a gas station, and have competition up and down your street, offering gas from $3.50 a gallon to $5.00 a gallon. It makes perfect business sense to raise the price of your gas from say.....$24.00 a gallon to $27.00 a gallon; so you'll stop losing money. It makes me want to ...
Last edited by cj : 04-23-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: inappropriatewhereas the post I was "fortunate'" to enjoy before you removed most of it was #25:Dean T. thinks your line is funny. I don't. Shame on you yak merchant for making dark humor of child abuse. I think that line should be deleted by PA. or other moderator.

T2WWell mark my behavior down to being a product of society...
Last edited by cj : 04-23-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: I deleted initial comment, the response isn't for a horse racing boardSecond, I also found that thread interesting and merely noted post#20 as an expression of anger/frustration at the situation and nothing more.

Although you can't see it any longer, YM explained the source of his humor to T2W in an entertaining manner, and that should have been all there was to it. When I came back to the thread the next day, it appeared to me that YM (whose previous posts I am not familiar with) had unnecesarily been made an example of in very unflattering fashion.

Only because you asked, I forced myself to read 5 pages of absolutely no interest to me. I don’t know what conclusion you want me to draw other than that both you and PA participated there without distinction as well two antagonistic posters. If neither of you saw fit to react in any fashion other than to state your opinions, well, that's the way it should be.

Indulto
04-25-2008, 04:28 AM
There were many factors at work in that thread, and despite my inclination NOT to get down and dirty with the nuts and bolts of my thinking on the matter, I suppose it's best that all cards get laid on the table.

It's going to take A LOT for me to go against the decision of one of the moderators helping me out here on the forums, both in action and in verse. And certainly what occured in the Calder thread didn't even come close to me disagreeing even one bit with CJ.
The thread in question was about racing, Calder, takeout rates, etc. It wasn't about child abuse or jokes about punching infants, thus deleting that comment, in my view, doesn't go against any policy past or present. Because the comment didn't have a thing to do with racing made it that much easier to justify its removal.
That particular comment obviously brought out a negative reaction in at least one member of our community, so much so that he chose to express himself publicly and request it be deleted. This RARELY if every happens, as I'm sure you will agree.
Given 2 and 3 from above, I came to the conclusion that it was a "good shoot."It's hardly in your interest to undermine cj under the circumstances, even if you agreed; which you obviously don't.

Onward and, hopefully, upward.