PDA

View Full Version : IE 7 vs. IE 6

OverlayHunter
04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
I've got XP and IE 7 on a new laptop. My other computers have XP and IE 6. The laptop didn't give me a choice, it came with IE 7.

Most sites seem to work ok with IE 7 but there is one site, important to my business, that starts to load than hangs and locks up. Not only doesn't it load but the only way I can close IE 7 at that point is to use the Task Manager. What appears to not be loading is column of clickable images that would normally appear in the window running vertically down the right side of the window.

I've tried to compare the Security Settings on my IE 6 vs the IE 7. Most settings are available on both but some are unique to IE 7. Wherever there was a difference, I changed the IE 7 settings to conform to the IE 6 settings (at least I think I did, I'll check again to be sure I didnt overlook something). That produced absolutely no change in performance as far as I could tell.

Does anyone have an ideas about what I should change or where I should look?

46zilzal
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
All of the informational technologists my wife works with, (and I hear it repeatedly at every get together I attend with her) are moving away from Microsoft in droves due to the lax security and running to Linux (open source software).

You can download Linux Mint 4.0 for free and it will even partition your hard drive to double boot from it. NO SECURITY HOLES like Microsoft is full of and free updates regularly from people in the I.T. business.

It's free and that is a very good price. http://linuxmint.com/

robert99
04-24-2008, 06:32 PM
OH,

The problem is that MS do not stick to industry standards.
The web page coder has tried to but failed on IE7 - so the user is stuck unless he can get in touch with the webmaster for a page rewrite.
IE8 is due soon and according to MS they will in future stick to standards.

Meanwhile, why not use open source Firefox or Apple Safari for PC.
Both load pages faster than IE.
Firefox has an add-on that can run certain sites as IE if you require.
You can import/synchronise all your favourites easily with other browsers

headhawg
04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
You can download Linux Mint 4.0 for free and it will even partition your hard drive to double boot from it. NO SECURITY HOLES like Microsoft is full of and free updates regularly from people in the I.T. business.No holes? Really??

Major Linux hole (http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8844914464.html)

Older holes (http://hardware.silicon.com/servers/0,39024647,39118519,00.htm)

Should I go on?

And here's a couple of links for those who are security challenged (misinformed):

Linux vs M$ security (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/73663,linux-security-v-microsoft-security-the-great-debate.aspx)

LWN.net (http://lwn.net/Security/)

And as Linux becomes more popular -- and it will -- there will be more and more exploits against both Linux itself and the apps that run on it.

DJofSD
04-24-2008, 08:22 PM
As I recall some ancient history, UNIX/LINUX are in the same boat as MicroSoft -- security is an after thought.

Snag
04-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I've got XP and IE 7 on a new laptop. My other computers have XP and IE 6. The laptop didn't give me a choice, it came with IE 7.

Most sites seem to work ok with IE 7 but there is one site, important to my business, that starts to load than hangs and locks up. Not only doesn't it load but the only way I can close IE 7 at that point is to use the Task Manager. What appears to not be loading is column of clickable images that would normally appear in the window running vertically down the right side of the window.

I've tried to compare the Security Settings on my IE 6 vs the IE 7. Most settings are available on both but some are unique to IE 7. Wherever there was a difference, I changed the IE 7 settings to conform to the IE 6 settings (at least I think I did, I'll check again to be sure I didnt overlook something). That produced absolutely no change in performance as far as I could tell.

Does anyone have an ideas about what I should change or where I should look?

It maybe that your work site is running a VPN interface. Most VPN's do not interface with IE 7. Most IT departments have been told that IE7 has limited security and they will not support it.

DJofSD
04-24-2008, 09:22 PM
It maybe that your work site is running a VPN interface. Most VPN's do not interface with IE 7. Most IT departments have been told that IE7 has limited security and they will not support it.

I know a major telecommunication company that uses VPN quite extensively -- but not IE7 (yet).

I wonder if there's something about the VPN S/W from some vendors that has not kept up with MicroSoft hence the incompatibility. More specifically, is CICSO's VPN possibly the culprit here and not MS?

Gibbon
04-24-2008, 11:47 PM
And as Linux becomes more popular -- and it will -- there will be more and more exploits against both Linux itself and the apps that run on it. No one suggests Linux is perfect ... the open access nature of servers {your links} make security a practice in trade offs. I challenge you to conduct your own experiment NOT theoretical drama.

Take one end user 'out of the box' vista sp1 machine vs. any variant of Linux also 'out of the box.' Serf the most egregious hacker websites you know. If you don't know any I'll send you some of the worst virus/spyware/Trojan/rootkit etc.. infested sites I keep around for tested purposes.

Then, compare real world practice against your theorizing. I suspect you may have an epiphany.

Also, M$ is clever to never address non M$ software in their vulnerability testing. Among Linux aficionados everything is tested.

Vista, depending on version + full office 2007 can potentially cost up to a grand. That's software alone.
Linux + OpenOffice.org can potentially cost; ZERO dollars.

As an added bonus, Linux is the prettiest OS you have ever seen!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T67kricXYRE

Gibbon
04-25-2008, 01:06 AM
OverlayHunter,

Add whatever website you're having difficulty with to your trusted zone. Assuming it's trustworthy.

Tools > Internet options > security tab > trusted zone > click on the site button.

Gibbon
04-25-2008, 01:16 AM
headhawg,

April 24 -- Microsoft Corp. declined 5 percent in extended trading after it reported an 11 percent drop in third-quarter profit.... Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ_X45vpmhWo&refer=home)

Top PC makers US (Gartner) first quarter
1. Dell - 4.8 million units - 31.4 percent market share - up 15.7 percent
2. HP - 3.8 million units - 25 percent market share - flat
3. Acer - 1.4 million units - 9.1 percent market share - down 18.3 percent (Gateway)
4. Apple - 1 million units - 6.6 percent market share - up 32.5 percent
5. Toshiba - 840,000 units - 5.5 percent market share - up 4.4 percent

vista - WoW ?

OverlayHunter
04-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and solutions.

I do have and use Firefox for those times when IE doesn't work well. Unfortunately, like Youbet of old, this particular site gives a message that it is usable only with IE.

Gibbon, I think we're getting warm with your trusted zone idea. Thank you. I added the site as a trused site and the first time using IE 7 with the site as "trusted", I actually was successful getting into the site but the items on right took far longer to load than with IE 6 (maybe 20 or 30 seconds vs. instantaneously). I tried to access the site twice more but on each of those attempts the last 13 items did not load and I got the old result of IE locking up.

Any ideas?

OverlayHunter
04-25-2008, 03:02 AM
After posting my last reply, I closed all instances of IE 7 completely (prior attempts were with a 2 instances of IE running) and tried to access the site again.

This time I got into the site quickly and thought I'd found the solution. So I closed IE 7 (now, no instance of IE was running) and started IE again. This time it locked up just like originally. Went through the process again (closed IE, started IE, tried the site) and again it locked up.

In the lower left corner of IE 7, this is what it says:
(13 Items remaining) Downloading picture https://www.sitename.com/img/banner-ad_01.gif...

Any thoughts?

Gibbon
04-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Irritating.

Download this clean utility: http://www.eusing.com/Window_Washer/Window_Washer.htm
It's free and contain NO spyware or adware. Ignore the “register software prompt.” Run it cleaning everything. Reboot.

Tools > Internet options > general tab > click settings button.
set “check newer version of stored pages” to << every visit to the page.>>

robert99
04-25-2008, 07:04 AM
No holes? Really??

Major Linux hole (http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8844914464.html)

Older holes (http://hardware.silicon.com/servers/0,39024647,39118519,00.htm)

Should I go on?

And here's a couple of links for those who are security challenged (misinformed):

Linux vs M$ security (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/73663,linux-security-v-microsoft-security-the-great-debate.aspx)

LWN.net (http://lwn.net/Security/)

And as Linux becomes more popular -- and it will -- there will be more and more exploits against both Linux itself and the apps that run on it.

"Unix/Linux are secure by design. Windows is not. That is just the way it is".

Linux severs go on running year after year, worldwide.

whyhorseofcourse
04-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Get mozzila firefox.
Its much easier to manage and it it has a lot more features then IE

headhawg
04-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Top PC makers US (Gartner) first quarter
1. Dell - 4.8 million units - 31.4 percent market share - up 15.7 percent
2. HP - 3.8 million units - 25 percent market share - flat
3. Acer - 1.4 million units - 9.1 percent market share - down 18.3 percent (Gateway)
4. Apple - 1 million units - 6.6 percent market share - up 32.5 percent
5. Toshiba - 840,000 units - 5.5 percent market share - up 4.4 percent

vista - WoW ?Not sure what you're trying to show here. M$ doesn't sell hardware so they wouldn't be on this list as "Vista". Dell, however, does sell hardware with Windows as their O/S and they top the list.

And I'm happy for Apple users but that company would have been dead a while ago if it wasn't for the IPod. Look up their market share before the IPod craze.

headhawg
04-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Linux severs go on running year after year, worldwide.Now you are talking about two different animals -- servers vs. clients. I don't know of many horror stories of problems with Server 2003.

headhawg
04-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Then, compare real world practice against your theorizing. I suspect you may have an epiphany.Let me give you "real world". Take 40 average users (consumers, not Linux afficionados). Give 20 of them a Linux box and the other 20 Windows XP (not Vista; it blows to high heaven. lol) Give them a survey at the end of a year, one that measures security issues, application availability, ease of use (like installing device drivers), and overall satisfaction. I think that you will have an epiphany.

Gibbon
04-25-2008, 02:57 PM
All fair questions deserving of answers. Let me start by laying to rest some common misconceptions.

Device drivers: any modern version of Linux does have drivers for nearly all but the very latest hardware. Most high end video cards and newest printers may not be supported. Any piece of hardware that is a least a year old will probably work “out of the box.” This speaks more to windozzz market saturation and near monopoly standing than any perceived Linux deficiency.

High Def Content: High definition blue ray DVDs will play on Linux OS. There are several CD/DVD software emulators freely distributed with open licensing agreements.

In any event, virtual machines are simple to setup in Linux running XP for that occasional need to play popular games.

Both my wife and sister are teaching professors at St John’s University in Queens NY. Their specialty is child cognitive disorders from birth to three years of age. I know that’s beside the point. What is the point: a number of students have come to me in hope of cleaning there windozzz laptops due to infestations resulting for illegal music and bit torrent movies downloads.

Now to be absolutely clear, I endorse the enforcement of intellectual property rights and abhor stealing just as I abhor teenage sex but no one listens to me. Or the pope.

My wife and sister wouldn’t know the difference between a spark plug from a GPU but they both love Linux. Speed, stability, nearly impenetrable security.

Think of Linux as a windozzz condom for the Internet age. As I have migrated a few students to Linux, no more viruses, spyware, Trojans or malware of any kind. Those students instructed other students on Linux. Some dual boot for specific applications.

You may be stuck in a ‘Daily Racing Form’ age but age 20 something students will light the way away from Micro$haft. The old guard - windozzz. Today’s computer generation ten years from now …. I would not want to own MS stock.

robert99
04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Gibbon,

Would agree entirely with that.
Linux was difficult at one stage but they listened to their customers and have made installation as simple as can be. Once installed it just runs. Install a modern Linux compilation and you will be up and running on the internet in 5 minutes, whether a novice or geek.
Older people saving the pennies also take to it very well, so does the third world European Governments and charities.

There is a belief issue that you have to pay for something good. People who write Linux are not only good people but real expert programmers - they are proud of their product and to help all with their expertise. If you like Firefox then you will love Linux and Open Office and the whole world of open source, common standards software.