PDA

View Full Version : Derby Trial

joeya
04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
The Derby Trial is Saturday, opening day at Churchill. Granted, this is no longer a graded race that has any real affect on the Derby, but here's some food for thought ...

Kodiak Kowboy and Turf War are both entered in the Trial ... what if one of those throws a huge effort and wins by daylight? Do the connections suddenly decide to wheel back a week later for the Derby?

Both of them already have enough graded earnings to make the Derby field. I'll bet the connections of a few of those "bubble horses" might be feeling a little more uneasy right now.

I'd say the possibilities are remote at best, but the Derby makes people do funny things.

46zilzal
04-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Even very good ones did not run back in what, the last 40 years. I recall the great Ack Ack won this one as did Hill Rise, Crozier, Vegas Vic, (Tim Tam did win it and then the big one a week later)...it is like the consolation game of the final four in basketball.

jjm323
04-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Don't Get Mad rounded up the ridiculous Giacamo superfecta following a Derby Trial win, didn't he?

46zilzal
04-23-2008, 09:56 PM
yes, here it is.

joeya
04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
He was 29/1 in the Derby and rallied from 19th to complete the superfecta ... $1 super paid $864,253 ...

cnollfan
04-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Can't see Kodiak Kowboy wheeling back in the Derby (maybe the Preakness) but Turf War could throw a wrench in the works with a wake-up performance in the Trial.

It doesn't seem that long ago that Arts And Letters, after running in the Derby and the Preakness, ran in the Met Mile as a tune-up for the Belmont.

Bobzilla
04-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Good memory on that 2005 Giacomo-Closing Argument-Afleet Alex-Dont Get Mad superfecta, jjm323. I was going to say that I would hope the connections of Kodiak Kowboy would refrain from entering their nice horse into the Derby just because he qualifies on graded stakes earnings, as he wouldn't appear to be the 10 furlong type. But that 2005 Superfecta could have easily started out with Closing Argument in first place, quite possibly the shortest bred horse in that year's field. With the souped up paved highway that is CD on Derby day I look at the race as if it's a 9 furlong event.

Wouldn't at all be surprised to see KK win on Saturday. Expecting an improved effort from Majestic Warrior who shows steady works since FL DERBY. Considering the owners, MW is the one I wouldn't be surprised to see entered if he appears to handle CD well and appers to be getting back into form,. I doub, however, that he was able to get the required graded stakes earnings from just the Hopeful.

joeya
04-24-2008, 12:54 PM
With $184,000 in graded earnings he could take a spot away from Bob Black Jack or Denis of Cork.