PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping Help

mikesal57
04-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi guys..

Would like to get into making my own racing figs and I can use some help in how to get PDF files into some sort of data format so that I can export into a excel program...Is there any thing I can use for this?

thxs Mike

cj
04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
It is pretty complex, and even when done, unreliable.

I would recommend you buy the data in comma delimited format from any of the available sources.

richrosa
04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Buying is hard. Importing is harder.

Stevecsd
04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
You might check the posts under "comma delimited" in this same section a while back. They had some good comments.

I started my career as a software developer using the Clipper data base language. I was able to get the Brisnet drf file layout and create my own data files using their data. That file has over 1300 fields (this was a couple of years ago.) It was a lot of work, it probably took me 50-60 hours of work to decode it, and then create programs to automate the import of the daily track files.
It can be done, but it will help if you are knowledgeable in a data base language like Clipper, Foxpro or Filemaker pro.

Steven Currie

mikesal57
04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
thxs guys for your inputs...

It seems like it would be a big task to start a project like this..

and bottom line ...will it be any different than what can be acquired today with all the figs being thrown out there

Did any of u guys find something that helped when u did them yourselves??

mike

sjk
04-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I have had good success using my own numbers over a period of many years.

Since I only rarely look at anyone else's numbers I can't really have an opinion as to whether they are better or worse than the publicly available ones but being different is a benefit if the quality is about the same.

headhawg
04-23-2008, 04:03 PM
mike,

It is indeed a big project, depending upon how many tracks you want to make figs for. As a start, you might want to consider buying the book "Pace Makes the Race" by Hambleton/Schmidt and learn how to make the TPRs. At least you will get a taste of making numbers and find out if it's worth the effort to you. If you like the numbers then read advanced chapter to see how to apply them in a better way.

Light
04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Would like to get into making my own racing figs

If you use the $1 Bris data files with the free Bris PP generator to view them and handicap, you can use those fiiles afterwards to make your figs and a whole lot more. They import directly into Excel. If you have Excel 2007,you can use the single or multi file format. If you have pre Excel 2007 versions,you must use the multi file format.

dutchboy
04-23-2008, 07:37 PM
http://www.investintech.com/able2extract.html
Check out this website. I use it every day to convert pdf files to excel. They have a 7 day free trial. Problem is with the page layout of a pdf. If the data is in columns and you are able to use the electronic data file in the pdf it will create an excel spreadsheet error free. Doubt if you can get it to work with racing data files. I tried it with a brisnet pdf and it did not work since they stack the columns. You can pick and choose data on a page but the time required is not realistic.

If it is a pdf was created by scanning a document the errors will increase. If the pdf is content protected you will end up with blank pages. The workaround is to print the document, scan it and save as a pdf, then run the conversion program.

If you decide to buy make sure you get the pro version as it will read and convert both electronic and scanned pdf's. I think the price is about 125.00

Hi guys..
Would like to get into making my own racing figs and I can use some help in how to get PDF files into some sort of data format so that I can export into a excel program...Is there any thing I can use for this?

thxs Mike[/QUOTE]

ny0707ny
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I just used the DRF #'s my entire life.

raybo
04-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Hi guys..

thxs Mike

Are you going to make speed figures, pace figures, class figures, etc? How do you intend to adjust the data figures you are going to use, Bris PDF, Bris DRF, MCPs, etc? Will you be using track variants, etc?

Tom Barrister
04-28-2008, 01:43 PM
The advantage is that you'll end up with figures/ratings/plays that others don't have. For that, you have to do something that everybody else isn't doing (i.e. make your own variants for speed/pace ratings, made in such a way that they don't duplicate what some mass-used program or data source is doing).

slewis
04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi guys..

thxs Mike

Maybe the easiest way:

Comma delimited files can be opened in spreadsheet apps, like Excel, where you can apply numerous formulas to number crunch.
You can then move finalized and calculated data into a database program like Foxpro, Paradox, Access, etc.
Beware though... you'd better do a long dry run before you start plucking hard earned cash down using your own figures. Making figures is EASY, making good figures is not.
Good Luck.. it only took me 6 yrs of writing and testing to get it where my figures are functional, but I do have a database of EVERY horse that raced in NY in the last 13 yrs. Accessing historical data can come in handy... I was able to ask Bill Mott about BIG TRUCK's dam, Just a Ginny, who he trained, when we bought him.