View Full Version : Pyro's Race in the Louisiana Derby

BeatTheChalk
04-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I read someplace ... that the folks didn't like the way he looked. I played
and replayed the race. I did not see anytying bad about it. But what do I
know :bang: :lol:
The race caller was not the best through the stretch run ..but in his
defense there were a bunch of horses all over the place :jump:
When the hoss got clear...he hit another gear ..Over and out ..

46zilzal
04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Off one of the slowest paces in Derby preps in many a year.

BeatTheChalk
04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Off one of the slowest paces in Derby preps in many a year.

I agree with that of course. Very tough Horse to figure ..Tosses a clunker
after winning behind a slow pace. Only the SHADOW knows.. :lol:

rastajenk
04-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Just read on another site an unconfirmed report that he was a no-go for the Derby. I don't want to be known as a passer of malicious rumors, but it sure wouldn't be surprising if his people realized he just wasn't right enough for the demands of the Derby. Whether it's an injury, an illness, or just mental, something ain't there.

OTM Al
04-24-2008, 03:08 PM
I hate to say this but I have heard this rumor too and not from the net, though it is about 37th hand and may have found its source in the same place. I hope its not true even though I am no fan of the horse

jtat
04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree with that of course. Very tough Horse to figure ..Tosses a clunker
after winning behind a slow pace. Only the SHADOW knows.. :lol:

His clunker was on Keeneland's polytrack. I know the old rule of a horse must run well and be in the money in his last race prior to the Derby. Pyro broke that rule and is now an also ran. Was it the polytack or is this horse injured? His 3 year old campaign has been inline with what a Kentucky Derby winner should do? He's had three races, he's won races at a mile or over around two turns. I believe the Polytrack race was an aberation. If his odds are 7-1 or above in the Kentucky Derby he'll be the bet of the year.

Shenanigans
04-25-2008, 08:26 AM
I read someplace ... that the folks didn't like the way he looked. I played
and replayed the race. I did not see anytying bad about it. But what do I
know :bang: :lol:
The race caller was not the best through the stretch run ..but in his
defense there were a bunch of horses all over the place :jump:
When the hoss got clear...he hit another gear ..Over and out ..

I said I didn't like the way he looked. He looked like a jack rabbit, very unsmooth, coming down the stretch. At least, that's what I saw.

whyhorseofcourse
04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
In my opinion if he ran that same race in the derby he would not hit the ticket. It was a nice win, but for his odds he was not very impressive.

FlyinLate
04-25-2008, 04:51 PM
For those questioning his derby run, found this today on bloodhorse

We finally got a chance to get a good look at Steve Asmussen’s pair of Pyro and Z Fortune, who came out in the second and third sets. If looks are going to go a long way in determining the Derby winner, Asmussen has got to be feeling very good about his chances. For the past week, there have been rumors flying all over the country that Pyro was having problems. Even after the colt worked at Keeneland, the rumors persisted. From what we saw this morning, mainly from an overall physical standpoint, the son of Pulpit couldn’t be looking any better. He is a powerfully made colt, with a strong shoulder and hind end. His coat looks great and he moved well over the track, although he didn’t really gallop that far. The second he stepped foot on the track, with assistant trainer Scott Blasi alongside on the pony, he broke off into a strong canter and looked good the one time he galloped around. He’s not a long striding colt like Colonel John or Adriano. His action is much quicker, which probably accounted for his quick bursts of speed in the stretch of the Risen Star (gr. III) and Louisiana Derby (gr. II).

No one knows how he’s going to rebound off his poor effort in the Toyota Blue Grass (gr. I) or why he ran so badly. Was it strictly the Polytrack? But from his overall appearance, he certainly is eligible to return to the Pyro of old.

Shenanigans
04-25-2008, 07:11 PM
For those questioning his derby run, found this today on bloodhorse

We finally got a chance to get a good look at Steve Asmussen’s pair of Pyro and Z Fortune, who came out in the second and third sets. If looks are going to go a long way in determining the Derby winner, Asmussen has got to be feeling very good about his chances. For the past week, there have been rumors flying all over the country that Pyro was having problems. Even after the colt worked at Keeneland, the rumors persisted. From what we saw this morning, mainly from an overall physical standpoint, the son of Pulpit couldn’t be looking any better. He is a powerfully made colt, with a strong shoulder and hind end. His coat looks great and he moved well over the track, although he didn’t really gallop that far. The second he stepped foot on the track, with assistant trainer Scott Blasi alongside on the pony, he broke off into a strong canter and looked good the one time he galloped around. He’s not a long striding colt like Colonel John or Adriano. His action is much quicker, which probably accounted for his quick bursts of speed in the stretch of the Risen Star (gr. III) and Louisiana Derby (gr. II).

No one knows how he’s going to rebound off his poor effort in the Toyota Blue Grass (gr. I) or why he ran so badly. Was it strictly the Polytrack? But from his overall appearance, he certainly is eligible to return to the Pyro of old.

That kind of action in a route horse says "sore". Or, maybe he really isn't a router and will fall into the sprint category after the TC races.
Empire Maker looked like the winner the entire two weeks before the Derby. No one could tell by looking that his feet were killing him. Except of course, his trainer.;)