PDA

View Full Version : Betting the Kentucky Derby by Dean Keppler

cnollfan
04-21-2008, 08:46 PM
I think this book is a borderline rip-off. There are maybe five or 10 pages of OK stuff. The rest is irrelevant filler that serves no purpose other than to fluff it up to enough pages so the DRF Press can sleep at night.

I have long thought that any horse race handicapping book was worth it if it could help me cash just one more ticket that can pay for the book. That's a pretty low bar, but I don't think Keppler can qualify.

sevenall
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
I think this book is a borderline rip-off. There are maybe five or 10 pages of OK stuff. The rest is irrelevant filler that serves no purpose other than to fluff it up to enough pages so the DRF Press can sleep at night.

I have long thought that any horse race handicapping book was worth it if it could help me cash just one more ticket that can pay for the book. That's a pretty low bar, but I don't think Keppler can qualify.

I'll have to completely agree with Cnollfan on this....and I'll drop the word "borderline" and jump straight to "rip-off".

To call it a beginner's guide is a major understatement. It covers advanced concepts like:

* What is a Beyer figure?

* A list of trainer stats available in the DRF (most of which have nothing to do with Derby day)

* A chart with jockeys/trainers who have won the Derby (some back to the 1930's)...boy, that's gonna really help you cash a ticket.

* Straight bets: What is win, place and show? (which includes an incredibly simplistic definition of an overlay)

* A chart of Win payoffs for every $2.00 wager (you've got to be kidding)

* A definition of exotic bets (explaining the Daily Double; a Trifecta; etc)

* The last part of the book is made up entirely of charts from Kentucky Oaks day to make the point that its become a popular betting day as well.

You would have to be a complete novice to be interested in this book. I buy almost every handicapping book that comes out and I don't usually feel ripped off...but this book was terrible.

LottaKash
04-22-2008, 12:13 AM
I'll have to completely agree with Cnollfan on this....and I'll drop the word "borderline" and jump straight to "rip-off".

You would have to be a complete novice to be interested in this book. I buy almost every handicapping book that comes out and I don't usually feel ripped off...but this book was terrible.

TOO FUNNY.........:lol:

PaceAdvantage
04-22-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. I haven't read the book, but from the post here that lists some of the concepts covered, not to mention the very TITLE of the book "Betting the Kentucky Derby," I don't see why you should be all that disappointed.

Is it billed as a book for beginners? It sure sounds like it is...even the title "Betting the Kentucky Derby" sounds awfully like a book for beginners. It's not called "crushing the Kentucky Derby" or even "Handicapping the Kentucky Derby." It's called Betting the Kentucky Derby which indicates it could be a very simple read for those familiar with the game.

For those NOT familiar with the game, it seems like it might be an ok start, especially if you're the type who only bets only the Kentucky Derby and maybe the Breeders' Cup....

To rip a book simply because it appeals to the novice isn't very fair.

ryesteve
04-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Fair point, but if you go to Amazon and read the somewhat bizarre, long-winded publisher's blurb for this book, I don't know that you'd come away with the impression that this was a primer intended for beginners.

cnollfan
04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. I haven't read the book, but from the post here that lists some of the concepts covered, not to mention the very TITLE of the book "Betting the Kentucky Derby," I don't see why you should be all that disappointed.

Is it billed as a book for beginners? It sure sounds like it is...even the title "Betting the Kentucky Derby" sounds awfully like a book for beginners. It's not called "crushing the Kentucky Derby" or even "Handicapping the Kentucky Derby." It's called Betting the Kentucky Derby which indicates it could be a very simple read for those familiar with the game.

For those NOT familiar with the game, it seems like it might be an ok start, especially if you're the type who only bets only the Kentucky Derby and maybe the Breeders' Cup....

I'm not ripping the book because it appeals to novices, I'm ripping it because it has virtually nothing to say. If the criteria was, "Is it a good book for novices?", it would be equally lousy.

I have about 75 handicapping books and some of them I don't like much but this is the first one I've felt compelled to complain about in public.

Capper Al
04-22-2008, 08:05 PM

I like your idea. A book is worth it if can help you pick up one win ticket that before reading the book you would of missed. Makes sense and is a fair expectation.

46zilzal
04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
objective review here.
http://horseracing.about.com/od/bookreviews/gr/aagr041508.htm

sevenall
04-22-2008, 11:43 PM
The two reviews left by paying customers on Amazon pretty much spell it out.

This book was similar to those give away pamphlets at the track on how to make a bet...with a bunch of filler. For example: pages 56 & 57 are taken up by the 2007 Derby race chart...the same one on both pages.

DRF press have not impressed me of late...

Here are the reviews from Amazon:

"This book was a complete waste of money and time. It took about an hour to read and was almost all fluff. The author used plenty of statistical data but never explained how and why to use it. He left the interpretation of the data up to the reader. A typical example of this would be: "Look at all the Beyer figures below. Do you see a pattern?" Uh, no, not really. Every single chapter was like this. I bought this book in hopes of gleaning a little insight into the upcoming Derby. What a mistake that was. Save your time and money and don't make the same mistake I made. Pass on this one."

"I could have written this book in a half and hour ... and since you clicked on a horse racing book, so could you! Very, very, very basic stuff and I'm sure you already know almost all of it. I am a gigantic Daily Racing Form fan (the publication and some of their other books) so this isn't a smear review. Use that $10 or $15 you were considering on using for this book for your wagers at the track."