PDA

View Full Version : Clocker comments on Keeneland website

Imriledup
04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I have a question that maybe some of you can answer about the workouts and clockers comments on the Keeneland website.

I've noticed that every single workout is somewhat positive in nature. Full of run, handy, looked strong, etc.

Any reason we don't have a single 'negative' work? With Keeneland being polytrack, i have to imagine that there are at least a handful of animals who can't handle the surface yet i didn't see one work that indicated a horse was struggling or not striding out in his AM drill.

Personally, i'd love to use these works in my handicapping, but since every work is positive in nature, i can't tell if that really holds any weight.

Your thoughts on the Keeneland website's clocker comments page.

Premier Turf Club
04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
I have a question that maybe some of you can answer about the workouts and clockers comments on the Keeneland website.

I've noticed that every single workout is somewhat positive in nature. Full of run, handy, looked strong, etc.

Any reason we don't have a single 'negative' work? With Keeneland being polytrack, i have to imagine that there are at least a handful of animals who can't handle the surface yet i didn't see one work that indicated a horse was struggling or not striding out in his AM drill.

Personally, i'd love to use these works in my handicapping, but since every work is positive in nature, i can't tell if that really holds any weight.

Your thoughts on the Keeneland website's clocker comments page.

I can't speak for the official workouts. My partner Joe clocks them himself each and every morning.

ManeMediaMogul
04-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Clocker Tom Bridges is one of the most honest clockers in the business.

His "Clocker's Comments" are a valuable source of live horses. Yes, his comments are usually positive in nature, as he only highlights horses who catch his eye in a good way.

Many horses win off so/so works and some guys like Steve Asmussen work their horses so slowly that they seldom appear on Tom's list, but I print his comments out and keep them in a binder for the entire meet. Some of my best plays are those horses who I handicap on top and Tom has a positive comment on their breeze.

As a side note, Keeneland has no control over Tom's list. He puts whoever he wants on the list and writes his own commentary.

Imriledup
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Clocker Tom Bridges is one of the most honest clockers in the business.

His "Clocker's Comments" are a valuable source of live horses. Yes, his comments are usually positive in nature, as he only highlights horses who catch his eye in a good way.

Many horses win off so/so works and some guys like Steve Asmussen work their horses so slowly that they seldom appear on Tom's list, but I print his comments out and keep them in a binder for the entire meet. Some of my best plays are those horses who I handicap on top and Tom has a positive comment on their breeze.

As a side note, Keeneland has no control over Tom's list. He puts whoever he wants on the list and writes his own commentary.

Thank you for this insight. Hopefully nothing i wrote indicated that i thought the the clockers were being less than honest, i didn't want to make it seem like that was what i was saying.

Appreciate the feedback.

Irish Boy
04-21-2008, 07:39 PM
I think that only a fairly small percentage of horses get comments, and that's why they are mostly positive comments. The ones who just work so-so or bad workouts don't warrant anything in addition.

Imriledup
04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I think that only a fairly small percentage of horses get comments, and that's why they are mostly positive comments. The ones who just work so-so or bad workouts don't warrant anything in addition.

I guess that's possible, but as a bettor, i'd love to see a horse who is 6-5 morning line have a comment that he can't handle the track.

I think its usually automatically assumed that every runner CAN handle the track unless they cannot. And, if they cannot, i want to know about it.

Maybe the clocker doesn't want to have to deal with a member of a horses connections confronting him for writing something 'negative' about their runner, which, i guess, i can understand.

Still, i'd rather hear about the ones who can't handle the polytrack.

Irish Boy
04-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm thinking that it's hard to tell apart the horses that can't handle it and the horses that are just putting in an ordinary, nothing to write home about workout. The workouts probably fall into two categories for the most part: the "WOW!" workouts, and all the rest. Not unless it's really a stinker is it obvious.

Pace Cap'n
04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Sorta like the DRF "comments" in which 80% of the entrants are contenders.

Imriledup
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm thinking that it's hard to tell apart the horses that can't handle it and the horses that are just putting in an ordinary, nothing to write home about workout. The workouts probably fall into two categories for the most part: the "WOW!" workouts, and all the rest. Not unless it's really a stinker is it obvious.

yeah, i know what you are saying, i was hoping that an experienced clocker can tell the difference between a horse who can't handle it and one who can.

Also, there could be other 'negative' signs listed in the workout comments other than can't handle track...such as washiness, lugging in or bearing out, all out urge, a poor gallop out, a horse who looks think and doesn't have a glowing coat, etc. Many ways to spot one to bet against, it doesn't have to be a footing issue.

fromtheroof
04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
yeah, i know what you are saying, i was hoping that an experienced clocker can tell the difference between a horse who can't handle it and one who can.

Also, there could be other 'negative' signs listed in the workout comments other than can't handle track...such as washiness, lugging in or bearing out, all out urge, a poor gallop out, a horse who looks think and doesn't have a glowing coat, etc. Many ways to spot one to bet against, it doesn't have to be a footing issue.

As the head clocker at a track in the Southwest I can tell you horses will not be credited with a official workout if they blow the turn, go slower than a certain time per distance (ie 54.0 for 4f will not get a work), do not give my gap person a work card, and the list goes on.