PDA

View Full Version : Information Sharing

HHRA Basic-Pro
04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Would anyone like to share how they use the following items from the BRIS DRF Data Files (Single) in their program. I know they're extremely important when looking at the makeup of a particular race. For example, will there be horses in the race that will stretch the pace to the point where a strong closer will be too tired, etc. I just don't know exactly how to interpret the numbers.

THIS HORSE/RACE
214 2f BRIS Pace Par for level NUMERIC 999 3
215 4f BRIS Pace Par for level NUMERIC 999 3
216 6f BRIS Pace Par for level NUMERIC 999 3
217 BRIS Speed Par for class level NUMERIC 999 3
218 BRIS Late Pace Par for level NUMERIC 999 3

I notice that the numbers above are all the same for horses in a given race.

THIS HORSE/PP
756- 765 BRIS Race Shape - 2nd Call NUMERIC 999 3
766- 775 BRIS 2f Pace Fig NUMERIC 999 3
776- 785 BRIS 4f Pace Fig
786- 795 BRIS 6f Pace Fig
796- 805 BRIS 8f Pace Fig
806- 815 BRIS 10f Pace Fig
816- 825 BRIS Late Pace Fig

This looks like it would show whether the horse has early, late or consistent pace throughout. As though maybe you could take an average of figures for races of today's distance and determine if there is pace in the race that would work against a favorite or otherwise strong closer?

Doug Hurst

Tom
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Here's how I used the BRIS pace pars.

I want the E and EP horses to be within 2 points of early par at least twice, so an EP par of 88 means I want to see a couple of 86's in the records.

I want within 2 points of late pars for P and S horses.

I will be a little forgiving of EP or P horses who are close to par totals (EP+LP) since these guys are not one dimensional.

I go down the PPs and circle any E1, E2, and LP within 2 of the par. Then I add the togeter and go down the horses that didn't make the fist cut and see if the EP and P horses come close here.

I would really be interested in how anyone uses the fast/slow race shape data - I have been pretty much bambozzled trying to figure them out.:bang:

Kelso
04-21-2008, 04:08 PM
an EP par of 88 means I want to see a couple of 86's in the records.

Tom,
How many months back will you consider a past performance as meeting your target?

Thank you.

Tom
04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Anywhere in the PP's.
I'll decide on recency later on in the process.
I will look at the most recent races on similar conditions as part of form.
I love it when the recent races don't look so good but I can expect improvement. My first look is can he do it, the second can he do it today.

Kelso
04-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Anywhere in the PP's.
I love it when the recent races don't look so good but I can expect improvement. My first look is can he do it, the second can he do it today.

Thank you, Tom. Very helpful.

BeatTheChalk
04-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Anywhere in the PP's.

I like what I saw ..." anywhere in the PPs " :lol: But of course my
tutor and mentor - way back in history - was Jimmy Bradshaw :ThmbUp:
Had some success with the methodology - but it was so labor and brain
intensive .. that I gave up.
But now I am using the Bris Numbers - and doing fairly well. All I have
been doing is matching up the horses at the second call. Many times
the Favorite can be tossed immediately.
Still learning each day - it is quick and dirty - so I can do many races
around the country == pick and choose. Also many of the good
longshots come from the " Early Speed Last Race " column.
Any comment appreciated. Earl AKA BTK

Light
04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I dont use the pars. I use WYSIWYG.

Re: Early speed.I dont use the E1,I use E2. Importing into an Excel spreadheet I sort the E2 column to see who may be the lone speed. I also import the Quirrin style ratings. If the top E2 horse is also the lone Quirin E horse, then you've got a pretty good bet.Pizzola would say its the "fulcrum horse". If this seems a bit obvious,it is. But most cappers do not have the horses E2's neatly sorted on a spreadsheet in front of them and consequently you get better value than you would expect from something so obvious. It sure beats the old way of capping(manually reading horse by horse), while standing elbow to elbow with people at a track and trying to remember each horse's running style,and early fraction in your overworked brain and then forgetting what you just read about half of them in a 12 horse field.After the race,it's "oh,I forgot that horse was dropping" or something to that effect. Most people cant remember what they had for breakfast. Yet most handicappers still handicap the old fashioned, challenging way(writing little notes on the form.Then when we go back to them cant read our own chickenscratch, as they load in the gate.Doh!). The old fashioned way is good for old people who want a brain excercise to ward off dementia.But not so good as a handicapping tool. Most of us do not have a brain like Bobby Fischer.

Tom Barrister
04-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Most of us do not have a brain like Bobby Fischer.

Fortunately for the world. Mr. Fischer's mind worked in very unusual ways, most of which weren't for the common betterment of the world (Google "bobby fischer 911", listen to some of the radio interviews, and decide for yourself).

thelyingthief
05-25-2008, 12:41 AM
mister barrister's brain is a monument, and entirely dedicated to the betterment of the world.

hurrah for mister barrister. let him vote twice.

tlt

CBedo
05-25-2008, 10:33 AM
What I do is more qualitative than quanitatvie. I go through the PPs and circle any of the pace numbers that are par or better. I also underline any of the numbers that are within four points (two lengths). When done, I have a pretty good visual picture of running style, and sometimes, form cycles.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use the race shape info, but for now, I try to look at the E horses and see if they can run well against a fast shape, and the opposite, can a S horse close against a slow pace.

socantra
05-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Fortunately for the world. Mr. Fischer's mind worked in very unusual ways, most of which weren't for the common betterment of the world

I read the use of Fischer's name as an example of above average brain activity, implying no endorsement of his politics or anything else.

Last year we had a nit who jumped in with his own off topic screed every time Einstein's name was mentioned. Now, its a nit with a need to post off topic screeds about Bobby Fischer.

Good thread, except for the nit.

Tom Barrister
05-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I read the use of Fischer's name as an example of above average brain activity, implying no endorsement of his politics or anything else.

Last year we had a nit who jumped in with his own off topic screed every time Einstein's name was mentioned. Now, its a nit with a need to post off topic screeds about Bobby Fischer.

Good thread, except for the nit.

Sorry to offend you. It won't happen again.