PDA

View Full Version : TVG T.Shrup Interviews Keeneland President and CEO Nick Nicholson

asH
04-20-2008, 05:30 PM
TVG T.Shrup Interviews Keeneland President and CEO Nick Nicholson

1F5Arvts4-0

richrosa
04-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Not much new here, however, I do agree with Nick Nicholson that TVG was nothing short of extraordinary in their coverage of Keenland this meet. They were everywhere for every race on the weekend acting like each race was the Derby. I don't always agree with the commentary, but the information and interviews were first rate.

The usual band of TVG bashers should have turned their sound up, because it was way more informative that the bad haircut guys at HRTV put up in front of their cheap green screen in the Gulfstream paddock or at Santa Anita (where TVG covers Oak Tree better).

JustRalph
04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I commented to my wife yesterday, "Todd must have been called on the carpet. Less jokes and he is acting like a broadcaster"

I thought it was a much improved "TVG" Keeneland will do that for you :lol:

Marshall Bennett
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I also beleive they did a good job , only wish they could have improved the quality of racing there . Jill Byrne is a class act ! :cool:

ManeMediaMogul
04-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I also beleive they did a good job , only wish they could have improved the quality of racing there . Jill Byrne is a class act ! :cool:

I'd like to know what race track you frequent.

Who has better quality racing than Keeneland?

Not Saratoga anymore with all the NY-bred races.

Not Del Mar with all the Cal-bred races.

How many tracks have a graded stakes every day of the meeting?

Unless you are writing from behind the pearly gates or from the Queen's box at Royal Ascot, I don't think you can knock the quality of racing at Keeneland.

Hajck Hillstrom
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
...and think he is truly passionate about racing, but it isn't just the PP company line he toes.

The concept of exclusivity is one he embraces to the detriment of the sport. I found the interview to be somewhat self promoting from a mutual admiration vacuum. What else was Nick going to say to Todd's line of questioning? It appeared to me to be somewhat scripted. Todd's assessment of Keeneland was spot on though, as was his analysis during week one. Is there a better CEO in racing than Nick Nicholson?

I'm not bashing TVG, as their coverage of the Keeneland meet was outstanding. My only recommendation would be to utilize Jill Byrne to a greater degree. She is the backbone of any analysis you hear from Keeneland and Churchill.

I've always been a big Chris McCarron fan, and have so much respect for the man, but the analyst desk is one that I don't see him excelling from.

Matt Carothers had an outstanding Keeneland meeting, but it was, IMHO, all diluted by his antics. 58 FLAT leaves me scratching my head. I just don't get it sometimes. I'm guessing there are those that find it entertaining.

Frank Lyons did an great job of being Frank Lyons. Simon Bray certainly didn't ruffle any feathers, and Tom Amoss definitely plays his cards close to the vest.

I really miss Trakus after Keeneland ends.

Marshall Bennett
04-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I'd like to know what race track you frequent.

Who has better quality racing than Keeneland?

Not Saratoga anymore with all the NY-bred races.

Not Del Mar with all the Cal-bred races.

How many tracks have a graded stakes every day of the meeting?

Unless you are writing from behind the pearly gates or from the Queen's box at Royal Ascot, I don't think you can knock the quality of racing at Keeneland.
I'm not questioning the quality fields they have . When they're run over the crappy synthetic surface they installed , the end result smells like shit !!

JustRalph
04-20-2008, 11:58 PM
My dream when having to watch TVG for racing coverage is this.

I turn on the set and Gary Seibel is the host.

Jill Byrne is analyzing any KY Tracks running.

Rich Perloff is doing everything else, and helping out on the KY Races.

They could let the rest of it go................

Fingal
04-21-2008, 12:02 AM
I really miss Trakus after Keeneland ends.

Check out the Del Mar web site. www.dmtc.com (http://www.dmtc.com/) . There's a countdown clock that shows when their meet opens & Trackus comes back.:)

PaceAdvantage
04-21-2008, 12:30 AM
How many tracks have a graded stakes every day of the meeting?Well Saratoga runs 47 days, and 34 of those days have a graded stakes. Keeneland runs only 16 days, so it's quite easy for them to run a graded stakes on every day of their meeting.

BombsAway Bob
04-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Well Saratoga runs 47 days, and 34 of those days have a graded stakes. Keeneland runs only 16 days, so it's quite easy for them to run a graded stakes on every day of their meeting.
Plus, how many days does Saratoga offer more than one graded stakes on the same card...

Hajck Hillstrom
04-21-2008, 01:22 AM

Rich Perloff is doing everything else, and helping out on the KY Races.Bingo!

I think the rest of it just makes you appreciate this trio even more.

asH
04-21-2008, 01:32 AM
:58 flat is touted as the fastest show on television...thank the lord, and shift into 3rd.:D

JimG
04-21-2008, 07:54 AM
My dream when having to watch TVG for racing coverage is this.

Rich Perloff is doing everything else, and helping out on the KY Races.

They could let the rest of it go................

Certainly you could find a job for Christina Oliveras? ;)

JustRalph
04-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Certainly you could find a job for Christina Oliveras? ;)

sure, but it won't be on TVG!!!! :lol: :lol:

MakinItHappen
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
...and think he(Todd Shrup) is truly passionate about racing, but it isn't just the PP company line he toes.

Matt Carothers had an outstanding Keeneland meeting, but it was, IMHO, all diluted by his antics. 58 FLAT leaves me scratching my head. I just don't get it sometimes. I'm guessing there are those that find it entertaining.

Trivia Question: What common background do T. Shrup and M. Carothers have in common?

General Question: Has anyone else heard the Matt's daddy is quite an established handicapper?

Best of Luck Everyone!

MakinItHappen!

richrosa
04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
They are both Minnesota-breds.

Hajck Hillstrom
04-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Has anyone else heard the Matt's daddy is quite an established handicapper?Gibson Carothers is quite the idea guy, and aside from being Minnesotans, both Matt and Todd got their starts in racing at Canterbury Downs.

Tom
04-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Gibson did a session at one of the Handicapping Expos - about getting longshots. He is quite interesting.