PDA

View Full Version : 19Apr08SA *** Selections ***

SRK
04-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Race 1

Snooty Gal (4) looks like the only speed entered here, and if no one challenges her early, she just might take them all the way. Improvising Gal (7) should appreciate the cut-back to six furlongs, and should be sitting just off the front runners as they sort themselves out at the top of the lane. The drop into claiming ranks didn’t do it for Fabuloso (8) last time and another also ran performance appears likely for this weak-hearted miss. A play against on the win end. Molitta (3) and Artistryandrythym (6) both have the breeding that suggests they deserve a spot on your tickets.

Race 2
**** Pinkhair (7) SCRATCHED ***

Mike Mitchell knows more about this game than I do, but I’m going to second guess his decision to run 9-y-o Mananan McLir (4) four times in the last five weeks. I don’t see enough pace in here to set up his late kick, either. Betting against this vulnerable morning line favorite on top. There are several interesting possibilities to consider. Stevie D (5) should improve second off the long layoff, is 2/4 at the distance and is 10-1 on the morning line. Chadlington (6) takes a big drop in class, along with changes in surface and distance. What does Sadler know that I don’t? A lot. Just like Doug O’Neill, who sends out Held Up (1), with a new jock and a drop in class. Finally, Pinkhair (7) was off slow before rushing up and then fading in a race he surely needed after a 13 month vacation. Expect more from him today.

Race 3

What do you think about Mitchell’s horse in this race? He claimed Kilderry (5) in his last. For $100 g’s. A 3-y-o gelding. Enters him against straight maidens. On the turf. With one of his go-to jocks, Tyler Baze, who does very well going down the hill. Like I mentioned early, Mike knows more than I do, and in here, I like what Mikey likes. Elusive Destiny (3) was caught wide on both turns, after breaking a little slowly from the rail. Certainly figures for a slice. Guts (7) should show more second time off the layoff. In that race, the top two finishers have come back to win. Is working well, and gets the outside post in a 7 horse field.

Race 4

Topaz Moon (9) takes a big drop for Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Moss, and John Sandler does ok with these kind. Bullet work. Could overwhelm these. Shaghticoke Hill (4) is an improving sort. He broke decently from the outside 10 post in his last, was outrun into the turn, before making another nice move to gain the lead, then was bumped in the stretch, and faded. The horse he bumped, Synnin and Grinnin (5) is also entered in this race. His last came off a 14 month layoff, and if he avoids bouncing in this one, literally and figuratively, he could hit the board. Judge in the West (7) should pass several late for a piece of the pie. Interesting puzzle.

Valupix
04-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Keeneland R5

1 & 12

SRK
04-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Race 5

Difficult to project the pace, much less the winner in this compact field. Farleigh House (7) looks like he could be sitting close to the lead, and should improve after his last, his first start stateside, after a 5 month breather. Propaganda (5) finished ahead of Farleigh in his last, and sports a nice work since. CedarMountain (8) draws the outside post, has been working well, but I suspect a minor award is his limit. Papanonie (3) has also been working well, but the single digit connects temper my enthusiasm on the win end.

SRK
04-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Race 6

This race appears to be setting up for a horse who can sit close to the lead, and then launch a winning bid once they enter the stretch. Bayngen Bartok (3) fits that description, having done that twice already this year, while also sporting a win and a second in two tries at this distance. Uxmal (1) closed very nicely after being steadied at the start in his last. This lightly raced colt might just mow them all down in the lane. Polish Pete (8) appears to be a step off his game, but drops in class for this, and will also be in the passing lane late.

SRK
04-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Race 7

A full and evenly matched group face off in today’s feature, the G3 San Simeon. Don’t Ya Lovett (7) was impressive in winning his last, breaking from the far outside, before unleashing a powerful move around the far turn and then down the lane. He has worked very will since, and will be hard to deny if he can even come close to repeating that effort. Frankel sends out Night Chapter (11). He has faced better, and will also be closing fast. Carrilero (5) deserves a second look at 20-1 on the morning line. This Argentinian put in his best showing going down the hill at Oak Tree, and looks like a surprise package.