PDA

View Full Version : War Pass out of Derby!

ny0707ny
04-19-2008, 11:27 AM
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44680

I knew it. Well that explains his loss to that horse last time. What a fun Derby this year now. :bang: :sleeping: What a horse he would have been. What a race he would have run last time.

This will make anyone give up the sport. I get the fox soccer channel now so I won't have much interest now in horse racing.

I had enough with all the hroses I like going down or being retired early. It got to be too much for me. This was a special horse. It is really sad.

Norm
04-19-2008, 11:58 AM
It can be disheartening when a favorite horse is injured. My first Derby horse ever, when I was new to the game was Tim Tam. I was delighted when he won the Derby and ecstatic when he won the Preakness. I was sure I was on a Triple Crown winner. Unfortunately he broke a sesamoid in the running of the Belmont. Never-the-less, he finished a courageous second. It was a major disappointment. But, fifty years later, I'm still here.

War Pass may recover and run again. If not, we will know that we have been witness to one of those special moments of thoroughbred courage that make this a great sport.

Semipro
04-19-2008, 12:00 PM
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44680

I knew it. Well that explains his loss to that horse last time. What a fun Derby this year now. :bang: :sleeping: What a horse he would have been. What a race he would have run last time.

This will make anyone give up the sport. I get the fox soccer channel now so I won't have much interest now in horse racing.

I had enough with all the hroses I like going down or being retired early. It got to be too much for me. This was a special horse. It is really sad.Sorry about your horse you were his biggest fan(on this board anyways)just thank god they found it before the Derby though I did ? his distance limitations he Damn sure had the Heart of a Champion.:( Hopefully he'll be back but there's worst things than being a stallion with a full book.;)

Wickel
04-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Sorry to see him go. I was looking forward to War Pass setting some nice, early fractions, forcing Big Brown to expend a little more energy earlier. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

46zilzal
04-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Sorry to see him go. I was looking forward to War Pass setting some nice, early fractions, forcing Big Brown to expend a little more energy earlier. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
A Derby without a pacesetter? Never will happen.

JustRalph
04-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Big Brown's odds just went down even more.............

ny0707ny
04-19-2008, 12:23 PM
It changes the pace of the race alright. I am not sure now who my pick will be. I didn't have any other horse to win. Brown looks like the only front speed. He has only 3 starts though and 3 start horses don't win Derby's.The rest of the field is weak now. His chances go up, but they are still well below a sure thing.

joanied
04-19-2008, 12:28 PM
OHCRAP:( This is terrible news. And I feel bad for Zito... hope CCM can make a good showing for them, although I can't see him winning the Derby...at least we'd have Zito there, which is always fun.
I hope since this injury doesn't seem so serious that they have not mentioned retirement, that they'll give him the time and bring him back later in the year...or as a 4 yr old (now wouldn't that be nice).
Whatever is best for this really fun and exciting :ThmbUp: Champion.

russowen77
04-19-2008, 12:34 PM
I thought he got injured in the stretch in the last race he won. I was hoping it was muscle but this does not sound too bad. I hope he can get back for the breeders cup. Damn that horse sure has his Daddy's heart.

He could have broken down at CD as hard as that track gets sometimes so this is a blessing in my eyes.

ny0707ny
04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah I guess it is great they found out ahead of time. I hope he comes back but today all the great horses retire at 4 years old. Curlin is the only one from last year still racing.

Hard Spun and Street Sense both are retired before giving a chance to race at 4.

I still got Naughty New Yorker at least :cool: Not anywhere near those of course but he may be in the top 10 NY bred horses of all time in earnings if he wins Saturday. He would have $1 million. The best NY horse I ever seen.

john del riccio
04-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Big Brown might be 4 clear after a 1/2 mile.......

John

GaryG
04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
This has been going on as long as there has been racing. Like Norm, I was a big Tim Tam fan when I was a kid. Hang in there.....at least he didn't go down on the track. You will have another favorite before you know it.

FlyinLate
04-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Big Brown's odds just went down even more.............

First thing that came to my mind. :bang:

Tom
04-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I hope so...I do not like BB one bit.
I hope he gets tons bet on him.

Niko
04-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I hope so...I do not like BB one bit.
I hope he gets tons bet on him.

Other than having only 3 starts what makes you dislike Big Brown so much?

joanied
04-19-2008, 03:00 PM
I thought he got injured in the stretch in the last race he won. I was hoping it was muscle but this does not sound too bad. I hope he can get back for the breeders cup. Damn that horse sure has his Daddy's heart.

He could have broken down at CD as hard as that track gets sometimes so this is a blessing in my eyes.

I watched a reply of the stretch drive and if you look at War Pass, now that we know he was hurt, you can see his stride shorten up...like a tired or hurting horse...I assumed he was leg weary when they ran that race, but now, I suppose, he was a hurting horse.
Again...thank goodness they caught :ThmbUp: this before real disaster struck. If La Penta is game enough, and they can bring WP back 100%...maybe they'll bend the rules and keep him racing as a 4 yr old. We can :jump: dream can't we??

pktruckdriver
04-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes why do you not like BB so much?

When he won the Fla Derby, wasn't he having to overcome the 12 post, where no one has won since the reconfiguration, 0-28 or something, he blew that away easily enough, I like him, can help it, got to do it, will bet on him.

Really sorry for War Pass though, but he's still a champion, can't take that away.

Patrick

CryingForTheHorses
04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
This may explain the bad TBD race...Fractures in horses sometimes get overlooked as a lot of horses dont show any lameness untill the next race where the stress fracture opens up.

russowen77
04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I watched a reply of the stretch drive and if you look at War Pass, now that we know he was hurt, you can see his stride shorten up...like a tired or hurting horse...I assumed he was leg weary when they ran that race, but now, I suppose, he was a hurting horse.
Again...thank goodness they caught :ThmbUp: this before real disaster struck. If La Penta is game enough, and they can bring WP back 100%...maybe they'll bend the rules and keep him racing as a 4 yr old. We can :jump: dream can't we??
If you watch it closely you can see the bobble. The sucker is so game he shook it off and kept running. I pray they run him at 4 because he is one hell of a horse. Awesome heart.

Kudo's to the trainer. He was still walking fine. He is as tough as a quarter horse.

Tom
04-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I think BB is going to be a gross underlay - one fast race measn little. Look at WP up until his last two. He supposedly has bad feet and I read he was being pulled by the jovk not to go in in his last.....why bother with a low priced suspect horse off one race against suspect competition. If I can't make a killing on the Derby, it is not worth betting. Suspect slow horses trying something none of them have ever done before - screw low odds. They undercard looks far more inviting.

Besides, who knows if the Derby will be open for public betting at all?

Shenanigans
04-19-2008, 05:04 PM
I said this horse wasn't right in the race he was last in. Horses don't switch to their right leads while running to the left unless there's something wrong. He did it in both those races coming out of the turn for home. I am really surprised Zito didn't notice that. Don't trainers pay attention to replays these days??? Now, they found his left front being fractured. Well, that explains why he was getting off his left lead.

rastajenk
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
I think BB is going to be a gross underlay - one fast race measn little. What about two fast races?

joanied
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
If you watch it closely you can see the bobble. The sucker is so game he shook it off and kept running. I pray they run him at 4 because he is one hell of a horse. Awesome heart.

Kudo's to the trainer. He was still walking fine. He is as tough as a quarter horse.

Yes indeed...I ran it in slow motion. Ya gotta hand it to him...he does have a huge heart and tons of class.

russowen77
04-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes indeed...I ran it in slow motion. Ya gotta hand it to him...he does have a huge heart and tons of class.

100% agreement here.

Edit: I just thought about this. I posted I thought he got hurt after that race a few times here but I would love to be able to have watched that in slow motion. How do you do that. Sorry dude, I am much more of a horseman than a handicapper.

Thanks so much.

Oddzilla
04-19-2008, 09:47 PM
He's been working very hard and did well to hold up in the Wood. The layoff is the best thing for him anyway--I didn't think he should have stayed Derby bound. Didn't think he would hold up in contention at ten furlongs. When he returns he won't have to be pushed on a campaign like this.

Semipro
04-19-2008, 11:09 PM
This may explain the bad TBD race...Fractures in horses sometimes get overlooked as a lot of horses dont show any lameness untill the next race where the stress fracture opens up.Once again you have related the truth as I see it I am sure that happens alot especially with that particular injury which in some cases can heal if caught early.I hope they x-ray Pyro something doesn't seem right about that now that I reflect on it.

russowen77
04-19-2008, 11:32 PM
He's been working very hard and did well to hold up in the Wood. The layoff is the best thing for him anyway--I didn't think he should have stayed Derby bound. Didn't think he would hold up in contention at ten furlongs. When he returns he won't have to be pushed on a campaign like this.
Considering he has the potential to be one of the greatest milers of all time I sure hope he returns sound and fast.