PDA

View Full Version : 4-18 Mock NFL Draft

Bubbles
04-18-2008, 11:01 PM
1) Miami: Chris Long, DE, Virginia (last draft: #6)
Rationale: The Dolphins would be CRAZY to take Jake Long #1. See: Mandarich, Tony, and Gallery, Robert. Chris Long's what they need on defense, and they've been leaning against taking Matt Ryan.

2) St. Louis: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC (last draft: #2)
Rationale: Ellis has shot up big boards around the country with huge pre-draft workouts. St. Louis's defense needs a lot of help, and while a qualified linebacker would be more welcome, there aren't any worthy of #2 pick status. Glenn Dorsey's red flags drop him down below this spot, as Ellis is simply the safer pick.

3) Atlanta: Matt Ryan, QB, BC (last draft: #1)
Rationale: Simply put, they NEED a quarterback, and Ryan is the best available.

4) Oakland: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (last draft: #4)
Rationale: This goes against everything I look for in a mock draft, but Oakland filled their DT need in free agency. Al Davis can't resist star power, and whether he needs him or not, he'll find a way to draft McFadden here.

5) Kansas City: Jake Long, OT, Michigan (last draft: #5)
Rationale: For Brodie Croyle and Larry Johnson to have a chance at success, they need protection. The drafting of Long would bolster both the running and passing games, which is what KC needs following a disappointing season.

6) Jets: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU (last draft: #8)
Rationale: He's the most talented player left on the board, and he fills a need. The injuries are a concern, but his talent isn't.

7) New England: Keith Rivers, LB, USC (last draft: #7)
Rationale: New England could also go for Leodis McKelvin, but I think they'll reload their front seven. The average age of their linebackers is social security, and they need young blood.

8) Baltimore: Trade pick.
Rationale: Brian Brohm's a reach at this spot, and there'll be plenty of good QB's in the second round. Get an established wideout here (cough CHAD JOHNSON cough) for the pick.

9) Cincinnati: Vernon Gholston, DE, OSU (last draft: #9)
Rationale: Cincinnati's defense is horrible, and this guy is one of the best defensive players on the board. He can play linebacker as well, but is a much better defensive end and adds a cog in the trenches, not to mention a regional favorite.

10) New Orleans: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy (last draft: #10)
Rationale: After the combine, this guy isn't an unknown anymore. He's a very good cover man with explosive speed, and a solid kick returner as well. He fills a lot of needs, and should patch up a lot of holes in the bayou.

11) Buffalo: DeSean Jackson, WR, California (last draft: #11)
Rationale: He's small, but he's pretty darned quick and has the ability to make circus catches. His attitude's troubling, but with former college teammate Marshawn Lynch in the huddle with him, he should settle in fast.

12) Denver: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State (last draft: #12)
Rationale: Denver needs to protect Jay Cutler. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Jeff Otah, but Otah had a less-than-stellar combine. Clady's a much safer pick.

13) Carolina: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida (last draft: #13)
Rationale: Brohm will be the guy who sits in the green room the longest this year. He could go here, but given the second-round QB's that will be available, I don't think he will.

14) Chicago: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma (last draft: #14)
Rationale: Rex Grossman needs as many weapons as he can get, and Kelly certainly is one. He's fast, strong, and has good hands.

15) Detroit: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami (last draft: #15)
Rationale: I could see them going for a defensive lineman here as well, but I feel their pass defense is even worse (remember them getting scorched by Kevin Curtis? Ouch.). Phillips is fast, hits hard, and isn't shy about making his presence felt on the field.

16) Arizona: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (last draft: #16)
Rationale: Much like Detroit, their offense has a high ceiling, but their defense can't get out of the attic. Campbell is a solid run-stopper who helps fill that need.

17) Minnesota: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State (last draft: #17)
Rationale: Thomas has flown up draft boards as of late thanks to several great workouts. He's not the fastest, not the quickest, and doesn't have the best hands, but he's solid in a lot of areas and will certainly be an upgrade for Tarvaris Jackson.

18) Houston: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (last draft: #18)
Rationale: Houston has the foundation to be successful in the coming years. The team does, however, have questions at running back (in recent years: Ron Dayne, Samkon Gado, Vernand Morency, etc.), Stewart had a very solid combine, and could solve their backfield problems fairly quickly.

19) Philadelphia: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan (last draft: #19)
Rationale: I'm torn between Manningham and Limas Sweed. While Manningham has suspect hands, Sweed has durability issues. I'm going with Manningham based on big-play ability. Either way, both receivers are upgrades for an Eagles receiving corps that needs new blood.

20) Tampa Bay: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas (last draft: #22)
Rationale: The Bucs could go for a corner like Aqib Talib or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but they could also use some playmakers. Sweed certainly has the skills, and he'll learn from one of the best in Joey Galloway.

21) Washington: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida (last draft: #21)
Rationale: The Redskins are going to want to rebuild their defense first and foremost. Harvey is a quick, athletic rusher off the edge. He's not big, but if matched up with a tight end, he could make a sizable impact early on.

22) Dallas: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee Tech (last draft: #30)
Rationale: Nothing against Aqib Talib, but Cromartie has dazzled in workouts. He's fast and a ballhawk, and has a lot of the tools one looks for in a corner.

23) Pittsburgh: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh (last draft: #23)
Rationale: Otah slipped this far thanks to an unimpressive combine, but you can't teach size (6'5", 340). He fills a need since the Steelers lost Alan Faneca as well.

24) Tennessee: Philip Merling, DE, Clemson (last draft: #24)
Rationale: The Titans could use some young blood on the defensive line. Merling is quick for a DE and knows how to sniff out the run and rush the passer off the edge.

25) Seattle: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville (last draft: #3)
Rationale: The wait ends here. This may seem to be an odd spot for him to go, but Matt Hasselbeck is going to be 33 years old. It might be time to start grooming a successor, and Brohm is a talent who should have been taken before now.

26) Jacksonville: Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn (last draft: #25)
Rationale: Groves has a ton of natural ability, including 4.4 speed. Durability issues are here, but if the Jags are looking for a spark in their front seven, they'll get it here.

27) San Diego: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas (last draft: #27)
Rationale: When Michael Turner bolted, the team's needs shifted accordingly. I prefer Jones to Rashard Mendenhall because I think Mendenhall was a beneficiary of the Illinois system. Jones is used to putting up big numbers in the back-up role, and could do so again in San Diego.

28) Dallas: James Hardy, WR, Indiana (last draft: #29)
Rationale: After he ran a sub-4.5 40 time, the speed concerns should be off the table for now. He's big at 6'5", and has very reliable hands. Assuming the Cowboys don't get Chad Johnson, he's what they're looking for as a late-first round WR prospect.

29) San Francisco: Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt (last draft: unranked)
Rationale: Bennett had a great career at Vandy, and is the best WR prospect on the board. He won't be explosive, but he'll be a steady target for Alex Smith.

30) Green Bay: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas (last draft: #20)
Rationale: The Packers are pretty well-set. Their secondary, though, while talented, is aging. Talib slipped a ways thanks to the rise of Rodgers-Cromartie, but he'll be caught here and learn from Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

31) Pats: Forfeited.

32) Giants: Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee (last draft: #26)
Rationale: The Giants need new blood in their front seven. Mayo and Dan Connor both provide great intensity and play hard to every whistle, but Mayo's the better playmaker, and he gets the slimmest of nods.

Fwizard
04-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Nice work Bubbles--Agree with the Miami Pick --defense first they win you championships (3 years from now).

cj
04-19-2008, 02:12 PM
The Ravens won't trade the pick, especially for a slightly above average wide receiver like Chad Johnson.

Bubbles
04-19-2008, 04:31 PM
CJ, I respectfully disagree. Chad Johnson has had at least 1,166 receiving yards each of the past six seasons, and has 49 career touchdowns in 7 seasons. Even last year, in what was perceived as an "off year" by a lot of people, he caught 93 balls for 1,440 yards and 8 touchdowns. There's no way that this is just SLIGHTLY above average.

Whether above average, good, or great, though, a guy like Johnson is not only a SIGNIFICANT upgrade for the Ravens receiving corps, but he provides a vocal offensive leader the Ravens have really been lacking.

cj
04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
CJ, I respectfully disagree. Chad Johnson has had at least 1,166 receiving yards each of the past six seasons, and has 49 career touchdowns in 7 seasons. Even last year, in what was perceived as an "off year" by a lot of people, he caught 93 balls for 1,440 yards and 8 touchdowns. There's no way that this is just SLIGHTLY above average.

Whether above average, good, or great, though, a guy like Johnson is not only a SIGNIFICANT upgrade for the Ravens receiving corps, but he provides a vocal offensive leader the Ravens have really been lacking.

I don't think he is much of a leader. He isn't even the best receiver on his team. That teams throws A LOT, and has for the past few years. Sure he would help, but a top 10 first round draft pick is too steep a price for me. The Ravens have proven to be one of the best drafting teams in the league.

Bubbles
04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, given recent developments (the Dolphins being idiots and drafting Long #1), this will need to be revised.

JustRalph
04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
The Bengals passed up two first round picks today from Washington. They said they are going to de-activate Ocho and he can stay home and watch the games on TV. :lol:

They are crazy, they could have used the draft picks.