PDA

View Full Version : "W" Oliver Stone movie about President Bush

delayjf
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
http://www.military.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news/bush-depicted-as-foul-mouthed-frat-boy?ESRC=soldiertech.nl

Prediction - like the rest of the Anti Iraq war movies, this one will bomb.

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2008, 10:58 PM
My prediction is that it will bomb. Not because I'm a GWB lover or hater (I'm neither), but because it sounds kinda boring...and if it sounds boring now....well....

How do you go from JFK to Nixon, to GWB? Does GWB really deserve a movie? I think Stone is a few years too late with this one....

Sounds like a snooze fest in the making...or a DU poster's wet dream...one or the other.....

riskman
04-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Remember the movie"Wag the Dog" (to be re-released with that title) It was considered outrageous, far-fetched and satirical. All of which it was. But it was true. It was truer than any of the non-fiction myths and legends that they ran for us all those months on television. Or even that they told us in the non-fiction books.

George W. Bush said: "My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it." Can imagine young George standing there, during those years and watching it happen. "If I have a chance to invade ... if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and I'm going to have a successful presidency."

Now to real things that happened. Nineteen men hijacked four planes and flew three of them into buildings and the fourth one crashed. And they seem to have been members of a group called al Qaeda and led by Osama bin Laden.

The president told us that they did this because they hated our freedom and they were everywhere and the only way to be safe was to launch a War on Terror which came to include a pre-emptive war on Iraq. All of that, is the narrative he told to us. I LEAVE IT TO OTHERS TO CONTINUE THE SCRIPT ON THE MOVIE.

headhawg
04-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Much like Jessica Simpson's fiasco "Blonde Ambition", I hope that this one goes straight to video. Read into that what you want.

delayjf
04-19-2008, 01:25 PM
George W. Bush said: "My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it." Can imagine young George standing there, during those years and watching it happen. "If I have a chance to invade ... if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and I'm going to have a successful presidency."

A lot of people felt that way, in hindsight given where we are today, perhaps he / they were right. Of course if it was really about the oil, why not let him have Kuwait and keep Saddam as an ally?

Dan Montilion
04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Who's Oliver Stone?

Marshall Bennett
04-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Who's Oliver Stone?
A communist film maker !!

russowen77
04-19-2008, 03:46 PM
A communist film maker !!

Oliver Stone is a Nam Vet. Pooh on you. He earned the right to his opinion. Unlike many in the US.

Tom
04-19-2008, 03:49 PM
He didn't earn the right to put out total lies as fact. He is a lying little SOB who deserves no respect or attention.

russowen77
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
He didn't earn the right to put out total lies as fact. He is a lying little SOB who deserves no respect or attention.
Have you seen the movie?

I see you agree with the a lot of the country about Nam Vets.

DJofSD
04-19-2008, 03:56 PM
The movie will be a flop and will almost immediately be released on DVD where it will not sell, only to be found in those bins with the other lost leaders (pun intended). Bundle the DVD with 2 other titles and price it at $5.99 and I might buy it and use it as a coaster only if it has a mug of the real W on it.

chickenhead
04-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I wanna see it, just to see if Brolin can do a reasonable W without turning it into a parody. That's a tough job.

Tom
04-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Have you seen the movie?

I see you agree with the a lot of the country about Nam Vets.

Pretty ignorant post, Russ....can you read? Need help with the big words?
I talked about Stone and you turn it into I hate vets????? Get a life.

Marshall Bennett
04-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Has a really bad habit of retracing history into his own liking . A real bastard .

Shenanigans
04-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Stone has always been good at conjuring up conspiracy theories. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the mastermind behind the 911 conspiracies.;) He's a man with a wild imagination that can't get it off the ground without using some historical context as a backbone to distort for his story.

russowen77
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't need any help Tom. Stone is a vet. Are you? He actually put his life on the line for his life for his rights. Freedom of speech being one of them.

Most vets don't knock other ones. The main difference I see in W and H is that H understood war and the arabs. We were 24 hours from Baghdad the first war and he stopped us. Read his book and tell me what GHB had wrong.

I am not getting into politics here. Stone gave us about the only semi true account of Vietnam in film I have seen. I say semi true because no film should really ever show what the real thing is like.

Wheter you think so or not the only war in our history that is even remotely close to Iraq is Vietnam. The major difference that my mind can see is that the NVA were sane. I don't see any sign of that in our current situation.

Tom
04-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Russ, you're drifting - try to focus on the topic at hand, not your own little world once again. The topic was Stone - does being a vet give him the right to be a liar? Because that was all his JFK movie was,a bunch of lies. Now you are babbling on about Bush and Iraq......FOCUS. If you construe that as me being against vets, your are crazy.

JustRalph
04-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Hey, I am a vet..............here is my opine. Stone's a nut! By your own argument russ, You should take my opinion to heart now.

Ned Locke
04-20-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm already interested.

Bush is like Howard Cosell in many respects. You love him or you hate him, theres no middle ground. Problem for Bush is he's about as unpopular as Osama bin Laden....cept he can't hide and we know where to find him.

I'd go see a movie about Howard too.

http://www.military.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news/bush-depicted-as-foul-mouthed-frat-boy?ESRC=soldiertech.nl

Prediction - like the rest of the Anti Iraq war movies, this one will bomb.

lsbets
04-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Stone's an idiot with a wild imagination, probably insane.

Am I allowed to say that? :confused:

jballscalls
04-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Stone's an idiot with a wild imagination, probably insane.

Am I allowed to say that? :confused:

usually people like that make the best movies!! Just like Stop Loss and that movie mark cuban made, people wont go see this one.

However, I had dinner in NY once with one of Bush's classmates from Yale, and he said he was a big party guy! And that in class he would just sit in the back and have a chaw in and not participate.

betchatoo
04-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Has a really bad habit of retracing history into his own liking . A real bastard .
Wow. He could have been part of this administration!

jballscalls
04-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Wow. He could have been part of this administration!

:lol: :lol:

Shenanigans
04-20-2008, 11:20 AM
usually people like that make the best movies!! Just like Stop Loss and that movie mark cuban made, people wont go see this one.

However, I had dinner in NY once with one of Bush's classmates from Yale, and he said he was a big party guy! And that in class he would just sit in the back and have a chaw in and not participate.

So what? Bill Clinton was trailer trash from AR and (coming from an inside source) his nickname while in office in AR was "Snowman" - it had nothing to do with his gray hair either.;)

jballscalls
04-20-2008, 11:24 AM
So what? Bill Clinton was trailer trash from AR and (coming from an inside source) his nickname while in office in AR was "Snowman" - it had nothing to do with his gray hair either.;)
So what!! i said this because the film is supposed to portray bush as a party animal, and many said the film would be all lies. So i posted whom i thought was a pretty good source.

and i never said anything about Clinton, so why bring him up? oh, cause he's on the other team. why didnt u mention GHB or Reagan?