PDA

View Full Version : Cover of Time magazine.

DJofSD
04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
From what I heard this AM, Time magazine has most certainly stepped in it.

I've not seen it but the description I heard was the cover photo of B. H. Obama has had the American Flag lapel pin airbrushed to show instead of the US Marine's raising the flag on Iwo Jima, they're raising a tree. Suppose to represent the battle of global warming.

My, my, truely, nothing is sacred.

I feel badly for those in the services.

toetoe
04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Have we learned nothing (of course we have learned nothing ... rhetorical question) from the hoopla over AWARD-WINNING ( :bang: ) Paul Ehrlich with his doomsday population scenarios ? Oh, yeah, what about the billions lost because of secondhand smoke ? :( Where's the outrage from that brouhaha ? Where's the beef, even ?

Does any globehottie even have an opinion as to what the optimal temperature of the planet might be ? How about whether millions of acres of warmed-over, ex-tundra farmland might feed the frigging world ? All you Chicken Littles, please do not bother --- I will never stand under your deliciously guilt-ridden umbrella. You'll have to pry the gasoline pump from my globally warmed, dead hands.

ARRGH ! :mad:

JustRalph
04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
http://www.businessandmedia.org/stillshots/2008/TimeIwoJima.jpg

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080417171532.aspx

The comments of the editor are pretty out there, considering this is supposed to be a news magazine. Obviously not anymore.

Stengel also appeared on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on April 17 and had no difficulty admitting the magazine needed to have a “point of view.”

“I think since I’ve been back at the magazine, I have felt that one of the things that’s needed in journalism is that you have to have a point of view about things,” Stengel said. “You can’t always just say ‘on the one hand, on the other’ and you decide. People trust us to make decisions. We’re experts in what we do. So I thought, you know what, if we really feel strongly about something let's just say so.”

Time has been banging the global warming drum for some time now. In April 2007, Time offered 51 ways to “save the planet,” which included more taxes and regulation.

46zilzal
04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
EVERY population studied, every single one, where there was a finite environment, crashed when it overwhelmed that environment. Why would one think that humans are any different?

Tom
04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Because we are not over-whelming ours.

46zilzal
04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Because we are not over-whelming ours.
Bull shit: stocks of fish are disappearing, there is an island of plastic floating in the Pacific, the air is becoming fouled internationally with the number of new asthma cases at an all time high.....This exclusive-ism of the human is CRAP. We are subject to the laws of supply and demand just like any other organism.

DJofSD
04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Bull shit: stocks of fish are disappearing, there is an island of plastic floating in the Pacific, the air is becoming fouled internationally with the number of new asthma cases at an all time high.....This exclusive-ism of the human is CRAP. We are subject to the laws of supply and demand just like any other organism.

OK, zz. You go and tell China, India, Brazil and the former USSR they can't grow any more than they have up to this point. Oh ya, and we'll gladly set our clocks back 100 to 150 years to live the low-energy, less poluting life style of our forefathers. I see a farm in your future.

46zilzal
04-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Carrying capacity today. Given current technologies, levels of consumption, and socioeconomic organization, has ingenuity made today's population sustainable? The answer to this question is clearly no, by a simple standard. The current population of 5.5 billion is being maintained only through the exhaustion and dispersion of a one-time inheritance of natural capital (Ehrlich and Ehrlich 1990), including topsoil, groundwater, and biodiversity. The rapid depletion of these essential resources, coupled with a worldwide degradation of land (Jacobs 1991, Myers 1984, Postel 1989) and atmospheric quality (Jones and Wigley 1989, Schneider 1990), indicate that the human enterprise has not only exceeded its current social carrying capacity, but it is actually reducing future potential biophysical carrying capacities by depleting essential nautral capital stocks.

The usual consequence for an animal population that exceeds its local biophysical carrying capacity is a population decline, brought about by a combination of increased mortality, reduced fecundity, and emigration where possible (Klein 1968, Mech 1966, Scheffer 1951). A classic example is that of 29 reindeer introduced to St. Matthew Island, which propagated to 6000, destroyed their resource base, and declined to fewer than 50 individuals (Klein 1968). Can human beings lower their per-capita impact at a rate sufficiently high to counterbalance their explosive increases in population?

http://dieoff.org/page112.htm

skate
04-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Not to add to the cost of your excrement, but just to run "the Greenies" expense account comes to well over $90,000,00.00 per DAY.
Oh, and that's in a weak economy.

To place That Flag is somewhat tougher than planting a f... tree.:bang:

Gibbon
04-18-2008, 05:11 PM
...the number of new asthma cases at an all time high As if your profession which dopes up kids with every conceivable chemical concoction to remedy illusionary conditions would stop peddling their legal narcotics...

May find a reduction in asthma just as Japan and Germany found when abandoning Americas' insane desire to drug children. Ask Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Wait, never mind they're dead. Largely thanks to Big Pharma (http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17244).

2 hour Google Video: The Drugging of Our Children
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3609599239524875493

46zilzal
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
You don't read much do you? One of the major reasons I left practice was Big Pharma and the over medicating of patients.

Gibbon
04-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Not true. I read all your posts with great interest. I just cannot seem to remember what you wrote. You're that radical right wing expatriate in Chechnya, right ? :cool: