PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: Worst ever earnings....what a shame

JustRalph
04-18-2008, 05:05 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/business/media/17cnd-times.html?ei=5065&en=27ae5edad023fa83&ex=1209096000&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

Somehow they will blame this on Bush and the "Credit Crisis"

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2008, 10:44 PM
The internet + an editorial board that is out of touch might have something to do with it....

riskman
04-19-2008, 01:48 AM
The internet + an editorial board that is out of touch might have something to do with it....

I agree that the Internet has become the main source of news followed by TV and last newspapers. That does not mean that they would not read the Times on line. The NYT is not out of touch--- people do not have the time to sit down and read a newspaper unless it is NationalEnquirer. :)

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2008, 02:11 AM
How is the Wall Street Journal doing? If EVER there was a paper that should be hit hard by the Internet, I would think it would be the WSJ...

chickenhead
04-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I thought the guy from Wired mag a few months ago had an interesting take on "data"...whether it be news, or horse racing data, or anything else. He quoted someone, I forget who, that "data either wants to be free, or expensive". That in the world of digital delivery there is little room for anything in between. If data is really useful and unique it can be expensive, otherwise it must be free.

He cited the NYT as a good example of something that will be free, and the WSJ as something that could likely remain expensive. Same for something like "The Economist". Most of them are going to have to stratify things I think, have 99% of the stuff for free, but really good stuff, whatever that is, that subscribers can get only.

That's always been my view on horse racing stuff, so I liked the line of thought.