PDA

View Full Version : Claims from MDN clm races

mrroyboy
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Have any of you kept track of horses that are claimed out of maiden claiming races? I notice one today at SA who won. I wonder if these horses do better than non maiden claims?

russowen77
04-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Around here that depends on who claims them.

njcurveball
04-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Have any of you kept track of horses that are claimed out of maiden claiming races? I notice one today at SA who won. I wonder if these horses do better than non maiden claims?

Not good for the results if you bet them all.

Graduates going into non claiming races do pretty well losing about 11 cents on the dollar.

Very similar to those who move to Maiden Special Weight, which only lose about 18 cents (around the track take).

Those that stay in Maiden Claming races lost 29 cents on the dollar and those who graduate and run next in a claiming race lose over 40 cents on the dollar.

Bottom line is what Russ said, depends on who claims them.

northerndancer
04-18-2008, 02:25 AM
My most productive angle by far is to claim a maiden from a low percentage (i.e. bad) trainer. Allow a trainer with a good program of training, works, care, TLC, vet, supplements and sit back and enjoy.

This can also be done in the lifetime conditions also...... NW2L and NW3L races...... the criteria..... a young horse (4yo or younger) with minimal starts.

It works for owners not sure how it would work for punters..... though my last maiden claim ran back in the same maiden class that we claimed her and she won first off the claim and returned $51.00.

plainolebill
04-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Depends on whether it's Mike Mitchell or Nestor Capitaine. :faint:

Some guys do real well claiming from MCL races. A few years ago Steve Knapp was hitting about 40% 1st after claim in MCL. The trainer ideally would like to get the animal before it breaks it's maiden for maximum ROI, otherwise it's tough to get out on those claims. In Socal they want to get one that they think will be competitive in the Starter's races for MCL.

Today's trainer in the 8th @ SA - Raphael Becerra: I've got him 11-5-1-1 2nd after claim in MCL over the last 5 years. (not a complete db)

russowen77
04-18-2008, 09:10 AM
My most productive angle by far is to claim a maiden from a low percentage (i.e. bad) trainer. Allow a trainer with a good program of training, works, care, TLC, vet, supplements and sit back and enjoy.

This can also be done in the lifetime conditions also...... NW2L and NW3L races...... the criteria..... a young horse (4yo or younger) with minimal starts.

It works for owners not sure how it would work for punters..... though my last maiden claim ran back in the same maiden class that we claimed her and she won first off the claim and returned $51.00.

That strategy works well for punters also imo. Sometimes when a good outfit makes the claim you won't even think it is the same animal the next time you see em, the fitness and health has increased so much.

Thanks for the NW2 etc. I am going to keep a much closer eye their also.

WJ47
04-27-2008, 01:21 AM
I notice that a good amount of these claims win in the next few starts too. For me, it depends on what kind of a field they are facing. I think that they are probably a pretty good horse if someone is claiming them out of Maiden Claiming, but they could be running against better horses in their next start. I like them even better if they went off at odds of less than 8/1 and performed somewhat decently in the race they were claimed out of.