PDA

View Full Version : jockeys

colonial
04-17-2008, 07:12 PM
animal planet reality show called jockeys will air soon.
what do ya'll thing it will do for racing. good or bad .
i for one think if done right it could be good for the game.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/adamsturf/archive/2008/04/17/jockeys.aspx

joanied
04-17-2008, 09:11 PM

Used your link to read about this....first time I'd heard this...I was so excitied, then saw it won't air until 2009....:( that's a long wait :faint:
But, I will be watching, and hope, hope, hope they do it right. Animal Planet is a very popular channel...this could be great for racing :jump:

Shenanigans
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Will not be aired until spring 2009. My bet would be it never gets off the ground and Animal Planet chunks it to the side.

Kelso
04-17-2008, 11:39 PM

Gotta wonder how the channel is going to address use of the whip.

I don't know what place jockeys have on "Animal Planet," but it could be very good if they extend the "animal" angle to address horses breaking down due to pain-masking drugs and poor breeding/training practices. Maybe grow it out of a segment on the risks the jocks face.

Cangamble
04-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't know what place jockeys have on "Animal Planet,"
They have plenty of shows on chimpanzees, so why not?

JustRalph
04-18-2008, 04:21 AM
I don't know what place jockeys have on "Animal Planet,"
They have plenty of shows on chimpanzees, so why not?

you beat me to it............. :lol:

joanied
04-18-2008, 03:49 PM

Looks like you & me are the only ones taking a positive :rolleyes: look at this show...
:)

Shenanigans
04-18-2008, 05:21 PM
If they include all the puking, speed and partying these jockeys do, it will be a bad view of the sport. But if they overlook that and just show them at the barn in the AM and in the paddock in the afternoon then it will be OK. I just don't understand why Animal Planet is interested in doing a show on jockeys. They should do one on the horses and the people involved with them. I, myself would be more interested in a show like that. I can careless about the little pinheads that ride them. They get too much credit to begin with, IMO.

joanied
04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
If they include all the puking, speed and partying these jockeys do, it will be a bad view of the sport. But if they overlook that and just show them at the barn in the AM and in the paddock in the afternoon then it will be OK. I just don't understand why Animal Planet is interested in doing a show on jockeys. They should do one on the horses and the people involved with them. I, myself would be more interested in a show like that. I can careless about the little pinheads that ride them. They get too much credit to begin with, IMO.

WOW...pinheads :rolleyes: ....if we didn't have those pin heads...who'd ride the horses??

Anyway... I went over the the Animal Planet web site to find some info about this show...and when I couldn't find any, I went ahead a sent an email to the proper dep't. via their customer service...says it may take up to a week to get a reply, but when (and if) I do, I'll post here...I think now most of us are pretty curious about this.

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2008, 01:07 AM
They have plenty of shows that focus as much on humans (and how they relate and interact w/ the beasts) as they do on animals, like Animal Cops for instance....I predict this show will do the same....

Tom
04-19-2008, 10:42 AM
And for SWEEPS month, the jockeyes will be accussed of stiffing and Animal Cops will come arrest them!:D

Semipro
04-19-2008, 11:31 AM
And for SWEEPS month, the jockeyes will be accussed of stiffing and Animal Cops will come arrest them!:D Tom have ever been on Animal Planet I know I've seen that monkey face before?:D

joanied
04-19-2008, 11:49 AM
They have plenty of shows that focus as much on humans (and how they relate and interact w/ the beasts) as they do on animals, like Animal Cops for instance....I predict this show will do the same....

Now that you mention that, Andy...correcto!! Animal Planet is such a popular show, I hope this one will work.
I got a 'form' reply back from the Animal Planet/Discovery web site, so I hope within the next week or so, we'll get an idea of what they plan on doing with this show...if they actually:lol: reply to my inquiry.

PieOMy
04-19-2008, 03:14 PM
And for SWEEPS month, the jockeyes will be accussed of stiffing and Animal Cops will come arrest them!:D

Let me FTFY....
when the jockey uses the whip, or someone shanks the horse, or god forbid a horse falls down....the bunny huggers (animal rights activists) will scream and then animal cops will come arrest them and remove the horses because they are being exploited and abused and place them with a horse rescue hoarder who can barely provide shelter, never mind food or water.

I'm very puzzled that this would be on Animal Planet, strange venue and will now bring the PETA people screaming out of the wood work how abusive racing is, hope it never gets aired.

Shenanigans
04-19-2008, 04:58 PM
WOW...pinheads :rolleyes: ....if we didn't have those pin heads...who'd ride the horses??

Anyway... I went over the the Animal Planet web site to find some info about this show...and when I couldn't find any, I went ahead a sent an email to the proper dep't. via their customer service...says it may take up to a week to get a reply, but when (and if) I do, I'll post here...I think now most of us are pretty curious about this.

Honey, if you ever had to work with them you would understand the sentiment.;) . Besides, I do have a few friends that are jockeys and they have no problem with me calling them pinheads. They understand the sentiment.:rolleyes:

joanied
04-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Honey, if you ever had to work with them you would understand the sentiment.;) . Besides, I do have a few friends that are jockeys and they have no problem with me calling them pinheads. They understand the sentiment.:rolleyes:

Honey:confused: ....I'll let that pass, except :p !!
ya know...there are 'pinheads' in every type job and everybody is a pinhead at some point in time:lol:

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Now that you mention that, Andy...correcto!!I have a question. Who the hell is Andy? :lol:

joanied
04-20-2008, 10:16 AM
I have a question. Who the hell is Andy? :lol:

Sorry :blush: about that....got ya mixed up:bang: with someone:confused: else!!

Shenanigans
04-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Honey:confused: ....I'll let that pass, except :p !!
ya know...there are 'pinheads' in every type job and everybody is a pinhead at some point in time:lol:

Oh, you are so right, there are even ones that show up on this forum.:lol:

joanied
04-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Oh, you are so right, there are even ones that show up on this forum.:lol:

Ya think??
:D :D :D

Ron
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
The show is set to debut in February.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/jockeys/

Feb 6th -- it looks pretty fun. Who is the female jockey in the video?

jotb
01-20-2009, 06:48 AM
That female jockey would be Kayla Stra.

Rocklane
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I imagine Chantal Sutherland and Mike Smith will garner a lot of air time....especially Miss Sutherland.

joanied
01-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Will not be aired until spring 2009. My bet would be it never gets off the ground and Animal Planet chunks it to the side.

Air date-- Feb.6th on the Animal Planet...12 episodes are schedueled.

joanied
01-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the blog link...interesting read. Some of us are knocking this show before it's aired... it'll be interesting and fun to read everyone's 'review' of this show after the first episode.
I hope they do this right...I'm thrilled that Mike Smith is one pf the jocks....I hope they show the bond that is often formed between jocks and the horses they ride.
I won't pass judgement on the series until I see at least the first episode...but I am gald that someone is doing something that will, I hope, be good for racing.
Keeping my fingers crossed:ThmbUp:

PieOMy
01-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the blog link...interesting read. Some of us are knocking this show before it's aired... it'll be interesting and fun to read everyone's 'review' of this show after the first episode.
I hope they do this right...I'm thrilled that Mike Smith is one pf the jocks....I hope they show the bond that is often formed between jocks and the horses they ride.
I won't pass judgement on the series until I see at least the first episode...but I am gald that someone is doing something that will, I hope, be good for racing.
Keeping my fingers crossed:ThmbUp:

Have you seen the commercial for it yet on Animal Planet?

In the 20 second or so commercial 3 horses breakdown and 2 jockeys are rolling around in the dirt fighting on the track.

Based on the commercial it looks like they will focusing on the bad, just another propoganda feature to incite and unite the animal rights activists.
Strange venue for this show to air.

After seeing the commercial, I'm not reserving judgement, it's going to be bad for horseracing.

dartman51
01-20-2009, 01:50 PM

In the 20 second or so commercial 3 horses breakdown and 2 jockeys are rolling around in the dirt fighting on the track.

Based on the commercial it looks like they will focusing on the bad, just another propoganda feature to incite and unite the animal rights activists.

After seeing the commercial, I'm not reserving judgement, it's going to be bad for horseracing.

I'm suprised you would expect anything different.

joanied
01-20-2009, 02:30 PM

HUH....no, I haven't seen the commercial for it...but, that sounds pretty bad...I assume what they are trying to convey is the danger jocks face everyday...but, geeze, this isn't good...in fact, it sucks!!
I wonder if the powers that be within the industry have previewed this show...you would think, if they are truly concerned with the public perception of racing, they would have had advisors while taping the episodes, and then the ability to shelf anything they deemed not good for the public to see...
I guess we have to wait and see what developes within the 12 episodes...things like the incredibly heartfelt connection between Mike Smith and Prairie Biouyu (spelling?) and Zenyatta and Azeri would be wonderful highlights to show....
:faint:

Pace Cap'n
01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Anyone catch the CSI episode last night where the horse owner was murdered with his own "captive-bolt gun" that he possessed because he owned so many horses that it was necessary to cull some so rather than calling a vet they just hit them with the bolt gun like the one used for cattle and the girl jockey was using a buzzer for some stupid reason, and I only watched about the first minuites or so, long enough to hear...

"You can't be in this business and not make enemies."

Jeez!

joanied
01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Anyone catch the CSI episode last night where the horse owner was murdered with his own "captive-bolt gun" that he possessed because he owned so many horses that it was necessary to cull some so rather than calling a vet they just hit them with the bolt gun like the one used for cattle and the girl jockey was using a buzzer for some stupid reason, and I only watched about the first minuites or so, long enough to hear...

"You can't be in this business and not make enemies."

Jeez!

OMG...well, s**t:faint: :mad: We don't watch that show....but if I'd known the story line for last night...I woulda watched it just to see how bad it got...oh, this makes me furious.

Did anyone see the entire show???

jotb
01-21-2009, 06:36 AM

I would like to see that commerical because I have a hard time believing that the jock's would be fighting among themselves if their horses broke down in a race. I would think if this happened in the last couple of decades we would have heard about this. I've seen weird things over the year's (like the horseplayer that ran on the track during the race) so, I have a hard time with this one.

Joe

Pace Cap'n
01-21-2009, 07:18 AM
The clip shows two jocks rolling around on the track in what appears to be combat. The context is not clear.

strapper
01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Looking forward to it. Hope they don't mess it up for racing, though

Rocklane
01-21-2009, 09:47 AM
I do not think Animal Planet's intention is to rile up the masses with their pre promotion....at least I hope not. Like other forms of racing, particularly auto racing and ski racing, horrific crashes are what peaks the interest of the casual observer.

JustRalph
01-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Jocks fighting? No? In Socal one day they delayed a race because they were trying to decide if Pval could ride because Victor Espinoza punched him out and his eye was swelling shut............ I am pretty sure it was Espinoza?

Didn't Julie Krone crack Pval across the mouth once?

I found this via google

Then there was the deplorable incident that occurred in July 1986—perhaps springing from such resentments—although Krone now says jockey Miguel Rujano was simply on edge and she happened to be the one he took it out on. During a race at Monmouth, Rujano whipped her in the face. He later claimed she was riding in on him. After they got off the scales, Krone punched him. Rujano retaliated by pushing her into the swimming pool. Then Krone threw a chair at Rujano. Sam Boulmetis, the state steward, fined them both and also suspended Rujano for five days.

Steward Richard Lawrenson now says of that incident, "The guys try to intimidate women jockeys, but Julie let them know that she's not going to tolerate foolishness. She's also earned their respect as a rider."

JustRalph
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM

trailer

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/01/jockeys.html

I like the camera work. Has a very "young" feel to it.

Rocklane
01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Kayla Stra said "winning as race is better than sex". How would she know?

Just a joke......

Nice link J.R.

jotb
01-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Jocks fighting? No? In Socal one day they delayed a race because they were trying to decide if Pval could ride because Victor Espinoza punched him out and his eye was swelling shut............ I am pretty sure it was Espinoza?

Didn't Julie Krone crack Pval across the mouth once?

I found this via google

Then there was the deplorable incident that occurred in July 1986—perhaps springing from such resentments—although Krone now says jockey Miguel Rujano was simply on edge and she happened to be the one he took it out on. During a race at Monmouth, Rujano whipped her in the face. He later claimed she was riding in on him. After they got off the scales, Krone punched him. Rujano retaliated by pushing her into the swimming pool. Then Krone threw a chair at Rujano. Sam Boulmetis, the state steward, fined them both and also suspended Rujano for five days.

Steward Richard Lawrenson now says of that incident, "The guys try to intimidate women jockeys, but Julie let them know that she's not going to tolerate foolishness. She's also earned their respect as a rider."

I never said that jock's don't fight. I just can't imagine 2 jocks fighting after their horses break down in the race. In that one clip, I seen the 2 jocks rolling around with each other but not because their horses went down. Maybe I'm wrong.

Joe

PieOMy
01-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I never said that jock's don't fight. I just can't imagine 2 jocks fighting after their horses break down in the race. In that one clip, I seen the 2 jocks rolling around with each other but not because their horses went down. Maybe I'm wrong.

Joe

I didn't say 2 jocks were fighting because their horses brokedown, I don't know how you read it that way.....but whatever.
Maybe they, the jocks, are just fooling around but until we see the episode where it happens we won't know. But it leads you to believe the jocks are fighting. Breakdowns and jocks fighting...yea this is a good portrait of horseracing...:rolleyes:

I believe it is supposed to portray how hard it is to be a jock, valid point...but it's probably going to show alot of the worst instead of the best. Belongs more on Discovery than Animal Planet..and it is a Discovery production.

And the CSI episode....just ridiculous, from buzzers, to cocaine doping, to bolt guns, of course every owner walks around with a bolt gun in their trailer, race fixing, gambling addicts, yet another excellent portrait of horseracing. I probably left out other stupid stuff on that episode. Oh yes, the CSI's arrested the jockey using the buzzer...get real...
I hardly ever watch CSI anymore but saw the previews so we watched and laughed.

Hajck Hillstrom
01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Did anyone see the entire show???
I believe if you click on this link you can watch the episode in its entirety.

http://www.fancast.com/tv/CSI%3A-Miami/80094/1005228694/CSI%3A-Miami---And-Theyre-Offed/videos?autoPlay=false (http://www.fancast.com/tv/CSI%3A-Miami/88094/1005228694/CSI%3A-Miami---And-Theyre-Offed/videos?autoPlay=false)

I was going to link you to the 17 articles that Andrew Beyer refers to jocks as pinheads, but I thought it would be a little redundant.

joanied
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I believe if you click on this link you can watch the episode in its entirety.

http://www.fancast.com/tv/CSI%3A-Miami/80094/1005228694/CSI%3A-Miami---And-Theyre-Offed/videos?autoPlay=false (http://www.fancast.com/tv/CSI%3A-Miami/88094/1005228694/CSI%3A-Miami---And-Theyre-Offed/videos?autoPlay=false)

I was going to link you to the 17 articles that Andrew Beyer refers to jocks as pinheads, but I thought it would be a little redundant.

Thanks, Hajack....not sure I'll want to see it all....but I'll go over and take a peek...

joanied
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM

trailer

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/01/jockeys.html

I like the camera work. Has a very "young" feel to it.

JustRalph,

Thanks so much for the trailer link... hope the sound track isn't all hip-hop type music...and I'm not sure yet about the camera work....
those jocks fighting in the dirt on the tyrack...almost looked to me like they were just foolin' around?
They can show horses falling, to show just what these riders go through as far as danger....but I saw one horse with what looked like a broken leg, and that is something I wish they'd edit out...a horse that falls and gets up is OK to deal with...but they sure as hell didn't need top show a broke horse.

Anyway...regardless, I am goping to watch every episode in the series...then comment on what I thought about ti all.
Man....I do hope it's a good show.