PDA

View Full Version : If only I could bet that way here

46zilzal
04-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Extrabet.com offeres (in the Racing Post) a unique way of wagering. I could retire to a South Sea island if this were offered here. Under the title "Ever wished you could get out while the going was good? With extrabet you can." They show a race where you win if you can call the LEADER of the race 3 furlongs out, and not at the line. Wow.

toetoe
04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
That might be my specialty. :D

46zilzal
04-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Here is that ad.

DJofSD
04-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Futures for horse players.

Semipro
04-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Extrabet.com offeres (in the Racing Post) a unique way of wagering. I could retire to a South Sea island if this were offered here. Under the title "Ever wished you could get out while the going was good? With extrabet you can." They show a race where you win if you can call the LEADER of the race 3 furlongs out, and not at the line. Wow.Is this for real that's unbelievable.

robert99
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Is this for real that's unbelievable.

The get out odds offered for leading at some stage will not be the same as for winning the race.
An individual will have no idea of the over-round against himself.
It is a mug's scam similar to the Monty Hall puzzle.

Norm
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Where do I sign up ? That's my ticket to retirement in Tahiti ;)

dvlander
04-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Couldn't this type of wager lead to some connections pushing their horse to win the race to the 3F marker in order to cash a mutuel? It seems on the surface that the extra incentive for an early speed push would compromise more horses' chances to win the race to the actual finish line.

It just seems to me that there could be some conflict of interest for jockeys, trainers, or owners.

Actually I kind of like the idea on poly to ensure an honest pace.

Dale

DJofSD
04-18-2008, 02:36 PM
As much as I think this wager on occasion would be fun and profitable, it'll never happen. Do you see this industry and the tracks going out of their way to implement this? First and foremost: are they going to put in an additional "photo finish" camera? What if there's bumping and/or an inquiry? If a horse breaks down after winning the race within the race and does not finish the race, do you still pay out the early speed bet?

robert99
04-18-2008, 07:23 PM
There is real misunderstanding here.
Your horse does not have to be leading, it can be any horse you have backed or any sports where the final result is still to be determined.
Extrabet offer you their odds to quit early based on the current situation and those odds offered are very miserly (based on the change in odds rather than the absolute odds).
In many sports they have staff contact at the event and if you are watching at home there can be signal delays of 4 to 20+ seconds, so the event you are seeing is not current. It also takes time to contact them to cash your bet and the odds have changed yet again (the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle of in-running betting).

See the soccer example here:

http://www.extrabet.com/dealing/lite/fixedodds/home.htm?locale=en_GB&webSiteId=xtr

DJofSD
04-18-2008, 07:42 PM
The football example really help to clarify -- thanks, Robert.

Semipro
04-18-2008, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=robert99]There is real misunderstanding here.
Your horse does not have to be leading, it can be any horse you have backed or any sports where the final result is still to be determined.
Extrabet offer you their odds to quit early based on the current situation and those odds offered are very miserly (based on the change in odds rather than the absolute odds).
In many sports they have staff contact at the event and if you are watching at home there can be signal delays of 4 to 20+ seconds, so the event you are seeing is not current. It also takes time to contact them to cash your bet and the odds have changed yet again (the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle of in-running betting).

See the soccer example here:

http://www.extrabet.com/dealing/lite/fixedodds/home.htm?locale=en_GB&webSiteId=xtr[/QUOTEI get it yhanks.