PDA

View Full Version : New Book

BETKING
04-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi guys,
I have just read "Small Track Betting" by C. N. Richards. He recomends concentrating on small tracks only. This is what I have been doing for the past 2 years and have done quite well. When I say small tracks I mean tracks like TAM, CRC, TUP, HAW, etc. Has anyone else been doing the same ?.
The Book is not much of a read but it did back up my thoughts on the subject.

shoelessjoe
04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Save your money on this one

46zilzal
04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
He is right: no big handicapping services cover them, small time bettors to contend with....on and on: good reasons to stay at small venues.

HEY DUDE
08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I just got done reading this book. I still don't know any more now than I did before reading the book except for the story on the dead jockey crossing the finish line at Belmont. He talks about a eight point system but does not tell you how he arrives at the points for the system. If anyone else has read this book I would be interested in hearing if you got anything out of the book. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I picked up the book at the Savation Army store for 1.00 dollar. Don't feel cheated that bad. For a buck, the story about the dead jockey was worth it.

Charlie
08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Like I have said before. This is the worst handicapping book I have ever purchased. He assigns point totals to certain categories without any explanation as to how he arrives at them. In fact, I e.mailed him about this and never recieved any response. And yes, I own many many handicapping books. Thoroughbreds, Harness and dog racing. Trust me, this book offers no value. If you want an excellent read, purchase Calibration Handicapping by Jim Lehane. Now that's what you call a good book.

John
08-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Maybe you guys can invite the author to come on board and explain. Other Authors have.

:) :) :)

Tom Barrister
08-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I bought and read it, as well. It was fairly useless.

Here's my review on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R26NZOASL0IMH7?ASIN=1602391254&nodeID=

First_Place
08-12-2008, 06:16 PM
" I still don't know any more now than I did before reading the book except for the story on the dead jockey crossing the finish line at Belmont."

Whoah! Dead jockey crossing the finish line on a horse??? And I thought I've heard it all!

Care to fill us in on the details?

Regards,

FP

Overlay
08-12-2008, 07:59 PM
From www.anecdotage.com:

"In February 1923, thirty-five-year-old horse trainer and wanna-be jockey Frank Hayes nagged the owner of a 20–1 long shot named Sweet Kiss to let him ride the beast at Belmont Park racetrack in New York. To everyone's surprise, Sweet Kiss ran the race of its life and won... The horse's owner was stunned, too — especially when he went to congratulate Hayes and found him slumped in the saddle, quite dead. Doctors confirmed that a coronary" [which, I also read, occurred about ten yards before he crossed the wire] "had done him in."

Tom
08-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Funny stories in the book, but zero handicapping information.
I went to a racing seminar in local hotel once and found more useful info in my complimentary bear claw!

I think there was a thread about this one before....

BeatTheChalk
08-12-2008, 09:07 PM
I just got done reading this book. I still don't know any more now than I did before reading the book except for the story on the dead jockey crossing the finish line at Belmont. He talks about a eight point system but does not tell you how he arrives at the points for the system. If anyone else has read this book I would be interested in hearing if you got anything out of the book. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I picked up the book at the Savation Army store for 1.00 dollar. Don't feel cheated that bad. For a buck, the story about the dead jockey was worth it.

Hey Dude .... Could you tell us the story of the Dead Jockey ? I feel left out
and could use a good story. ** Duuude ! Gracias :ThmbUp:

HEY DUDE
08-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Hey Dude .... Could you tell us the story of the Dead Jockey ? I feel left out
and could use a good story. ** Duuude ! Gracias :ThmbUp:

See the post by Overlay. The same story. However, Overlay's version I think is more detailed than what I got out of the book. Seems to be the books primary function. Confuse your readers.