PDA

View Full Version : NTRA CEO Engages Players

Kelso
04-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I expected that someone would have posted this by now ... and apologies for the repeat if I've missed such ... but I think recent efforts by NTRA's CEO Alex Waldrop are noteworthy and encouraging. (Last month, I learned of the article in an email from NTRA that included the link.)

NTRA link to March '08 HorseRacing Magazine article: Waldrop: A new way forward - NTRA (http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?type=news&id=31231)

From the article
"... I, like so many others, have heard plenty of reasons why Thoroughbred racing lags behind other major sports in terms of popularity. There is a lack of structure. Too much product. Not enough good product. No national scheduling. No commissioner with overriding power and authority like in other major sports. No revenue sharing like professional football and not billion- or even million- dollar television rights deals beyond the Triple Crown races. No easy-to-follow playoff leading to a championship. Our stars are lightly raced and retire too early. The list goes on and on

"Ultimately, almost all of racing’s competitive challenges can be traced to one indisputable fact: The fundamental economic engine driving virtually all sectors of the horse racing industry – racino subsidies aside – is pari-mutuel wagering. So, to accomplish positive change within the horse racing industry, it stands to reason that we must engage and connect with those who wager – namely, horseplayers.

"... The ultimate power within this game lies with those whose wagering dollars fuel the pari-mutuel engine. Because these people are largely nameless and faceless, their potential too often goes untapped. This is a mistake that the industry can no longer afford to make. In the coming months, you can expect to hear the NTRA speaking up on a number of key issues. To our horseplayers, we at the NTRA give our word that you will be an important part of that process. We've always appreciated your business. We will now do a better job of appreciating your ideas."

Not sure how long Waldrop has been CEO of NTRA (I think he's fairly new) but I'm impressed by the attitude he displayed in his article. Don't know how hard he'll try to effectuate what he knows/learns, but at the very least he has demonstrated that he "gets it" from the players' perspective.

This month, Waldrop started a blog at the NTRA website (another email notification) which he says he intends to update on roughly a weekly schedule. I encourage everyone here at PA to avail themselves of a new and very direct opportunity to be heard.

Blog link: Straight Up on NTRA.com (http://news.ntra.com/t?r=2&ctl=11DE4:C6275)

Cangamble
04-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Why did he ignore the number one reason? Not enough bettors are winners because of dinosaur age takeouts that don't even come close to competing with sports betting, blackjack, and online poker.

Niko
04-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Why did he ignore the number one reason? Not enough bettors are winners because of dinosaur age takeouts that don't even come close to competing with sports betting, blackjack, and online poker.

It's the elephant in the room and they don't want to open the doors for everyone to see it. That'd bring up questions about reduced take-outs, betfair, player rebates..."bettor" to keep that as hidden as possible from the casual fan. Wouldn't want them to realize what they're up against.

Kelso
04-17-2008, 11:32 PM

I don't know why he didn't discuss takeout in the magazine article. He certainly should have. I think Niko offers a very likely rationale for the omission.

He did make a short reference to takeout in his blog (see below).I note that he mentioned it last of the "four categories" of responses he received as a result of the article. He also decided to include tax withholding in the same category as takeout.

From the blog:
"To a large degree, the responses can be classified into four categories: customer service, fan development, integrity and takeout/tax witholding."

David-LV
04-18-2008, 04:50 AM
From the blog:
"To a large degree, the responses can be classified into four categories: customer service, fan development, integrity and takeout/tax witholding."

Let me add synthetic surfaces as category five for the latest downturn in customer satisfaction.

________
David

rrbauer
04-18-2008, 08:52 AM
NTRA could have an immediate impact and gain the good graces of all current horseplayers (while we still are horseplayers) by getting the breakage process overhauled and trashed. We pay plenty when we bet. Why do we have to pay more when we win? I'll tell you why: Inertia, status quo and the indifference of the industry toward its customers. All of these suits talk a good game yet the only time that theres any action is when it benefits the horse owners or the track owners.

Mr. Waldrop and his predecessors have had years of opportunity to respond to thousands of horseplayer complaints and what we get is another round of studies and requests for information....and, no action. From my perspective, he and his cohorts need to wade around at some of the internet message boards and protest web sites and that will get them the information in a matter of hours.

I'm sorry to be so negative about this but these folks have led me down the garden path too many times in wanting me to believe that they were going to do something positive and then nothing happens.

Presumably, these are smart people who should be able to figure out a "top ten" list of problems and get after fixing them without a lot of PR-related swamp gas.

Withhold your money from high-takeout venues and tracks with half-assed content. When enough of us do that they will come knocking at our door and will HAVE to make changes in order to survive.