PDA

View Full Version : UK TV and no California racing?? and Racing World

andicap
04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Anyone know why the UK racing TV networks (At the Races and Racing World) are not allowed to show live racing from California tracks???

And question for Brits here. Why is Racing World such a piece of crap? (Note: It's the HRTV feed in the U.K. )
They seem to broadcast about two nights a week --

:mad:

Hajck Hillstrom
04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
....fair play, brother.....and by all means, do

robert99
04-17-2008, 06:49 PM
California races will be run after midnight UK time.
ATR show Australian races at that time.
Never watched Racing World (looks as if this is USA produced?) which is an add on to the subscription Racing UK channel, as ATR is free to air in UK and more people watch/bet from it. I think Racing "World" has a very limited group of tracks that it covers.

andicap
04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Robert,

Not true about California racing -- it starts at 3:30 or 4 p.m. New York time, which is five hours ahead of the UK, so it's an 8:30-9 p.m. start. At the Races carries the nighttime tracks (Mountaineer, Penn national, Charlestown, etc.) which start even later, until the Aussies come on at 2 a.m.

Racing World carries the same tracks HRTV does in the U.S. -- Gulfstream Park, Laurel, Oaklawn (I believe) and some others. the channel does not come on even on days when GP and Maryland racing are in full swing.

robert99
04-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Robert,

Not true about California racing -- it starts at 3:30 or 4 p.m. New York time, which is five hours ahead of the UK, so it's an 8:30-9 p.m. start. At the Races carries the nighttime tracks (Mountaineer, Penn national, Charlestown, etc.) which start even later, until the Aussies come on at 2 a.m.

Racing World carries the same tracks HRTV does in the U.S. -- Gulfstream Park, Laurel, Oaklawn (I believe) and some others. the channel does not come on even on days when GP and Maryland racing are in full swing.

Del Mar starts 2-4pm local, SA mostly at 1pm local. With 8 hours time difference from UK and that means racing starts from 9pm to midnight UK local time. With 10 races going on 4.5 hours that gets you way past midnight - which is what I said. There are only about 55,000 subscribers to RUK for the UK racing so to keep the compulsive gambling types after normal daytime UK racing, the USA racing needs to start by 6pm UK local time. Later in the evening, apart from when summer night meetings start or floodlit AW, there can only be a few hundred watching the channel, at most, and the bookmaker sponsors get little or no betting rake off. Professionals mostly have to get up 5am next morning. So perhaps they now just feed in what is cheapest to keep the channel "live".

http://www.racinguk.tv/site/AboutRacingWorld_35.asp
claims they do show California races and show, from 6pm to 1am, 5 nights a week- so what actually is going on is best addressed by them - we already have saturation coverage of UK and Irish racing so there is a limit.

andicap
04-19-2008, 09:53 PM
yeah, I've been meaning to call Racing World --

but how do you explain At the Races showing tracks that start at 7 p.m. New York time (midnight in the U.K.) before switching them off mid-card for the Australian racing?

I've heard the At the Races host say they are not allowed to show the California races.

I really enjoy the ATR U.S. coverage at night -- emphasis on airing as many races as possible from the likes of Turf Paradise, Sunland, Turfway when it runs its twilight cards, and the tracks that begin at 6:30-7 p.m. New York time. I usually can't tune in until the early afternoon tracks are about 2/3 finished with their card.

Problem is so many ATR (TVG in the U.S.) are headed for HRTV ---- thus the need for Racing World. I end up watching the California and HRTV tracks online which to me is less than satisfying because of the lower quality picture and the 45 seconds or so time delay.

DJofSD
04-19-2008, 10:01 PM
At present, California and most of the rest of the US is on Daylight Savings time. So, the difference between the Pacific Time zone and those areas along the prime meridian is 7 hours. In autumn and winter, it is 8 hours.

andicap
04-20-2008, 01:07 PM
At present, California and most of the rest of the US is on Daylight Savings time. So, the difference between the Pacific Time zone and those areas along the prime meridian is 7 hours. In autumn and winter, it is 8 hours.

Take it from me, it's eight hours. We've got Daylight Savings Time here in the U.K. as well, although there are about two weeks a year when the difference IS only seven hours because of variances in when the countries actually convert to DST. The U.S. is earlier to convert in the spring and later to return to standard time in the fall.

DJofSD
04-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Take it from me, it's eight hours. We've got Daylight Savings Time here in the U.K. as well, although there are about two weeks a year when the difference IS only seven hours because of variances in when the countries actually convert to DST. The U.S. is earlier to convert in the spring and later to return to standard time in the fall.

Then I stand corrected. Thanks for that!

phatbastard
04-20-2008, 06:48 PM
try viewing on Calracing.com...seems like live feed to me....

andicap
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
try viewing on Calracing.com...seems like live feed to me....\

Thanks, that's what i've been using -- its about a 30-40 second delay and of course the picture is not nearly as good as on TV. Still, better than nothing.