PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

HHRA Basic-Pro
04-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm new to these boards so I'll try to introduce myself.

I'm a 60 year-old retired Marine who for the last 20 years has been a software developer in Pascal, C, C++ and Java.

I was never interested in horse racing until I was stationed in 29 Palms, CA and went down to Santa Anita several times (I saw John Henry run once occasions there in the S.A. Handicap... 1984 I think it was).

In 1979, I bought one of those Mattell Thoroughbred Horse Race Analyzers. I never was a gambling man, but I subscribed to the DRF for one month just to do a dry run on the Mattell product. I was surprised that it did a very good job. After 1984, I was sent to Okinawa, then came back the the D.C. area, got married (again) and pretty much didn't think about horse racing until a little over a year ago.

I found my old Mattell product and started trying to use it again. I say trying because if any of you ever owned one, you know putting the data in for a race was a horribly tedious process. That's when the germanation for the idea of doing my own program was planted. So...

In the beginning, I simply reversed engineered the Mattell product (using the same categories of information that you had to enter for it) until my program was producing consistently similar results (Using Borland's C++ Builder). That was actually pretty easy. That first programming attempt still required manual data entry, but it was easier than the Mattell format because I used a spreadsheetlike grid. Then I discovered BRISNet and found out they had PPs in a CSV format.

For the last year, I've been developing my own software that can use BRIS or TSN data files. Since I now have access to so much more information, a lot more information has gone into my calculations.

I hope to use this forum to gain insight to make it better than it already is... if that's possible, because I'm hear to tell you it's the best I've seen already.

So, I look forward to being on the board. My real name is Doug

Thanks for reading.

Tom
04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Welcome Doug....jump right in.
Always like to hear new ideas. :ThmbUp:

Check out the archives - there is a lot of good stuff buried here, including computer programing stuff.

njcurveball
04-16-2008, 11:03 AM
I hope to use this forum to gain insight to make it better than it already is... if that's possible, because I'm hear to tell you it's the best I've seen already.

No sense trying to improve what is the best already. Take that time to go to Handicapping tournaments and win millions! :ThmbUp:

HHRA Basic-Pro
04-16-2008, 11:19 AM
That was a witticism. It does work well for me, but there are several categories of information that I want to use, but am having a hard time quantifying. For example...

It's hard for the computer to read race comments. I've developed a lexicon of common comments that I could use to possibly throw out certain races. Like Bmp Start, Bumped 1/4, Stumbled, Stmbl, etc. Was it the one race? If he's stumbled or been bumped 4 out of the last 10 races, is he a klutz? Certainly in sprints this is going to cause him problems if it's persistent.

Since I'm having trouble assigning weighting to some of these areas, my program button "Race Notes" just gives my users a list of extra, pertinent information so they can add or subtract from the program's calcualted score as they see fit.

Greyfox
04-16-2008, 01:40 PM
What works for me is 1 bump = 3 lengths and I add it too the final speed (SR +TV). That may be different than what others use, but I live with it.

By the way, I'm glad to see you've built your own program. I have yet to see the commercial program that my own spread sheet won't beat.

Bruddah
04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
You will meet some very intelligent paper and computer handicappers, on this board. I do not include myself in either category. I operate a computer only under the most rudimentary levels of confidence. I have been a very good paper capper over the years and improved that, with the computer and betting stratejy.

I don't know that this is possible, but I envision having someone write a program for downloading specific information from the Charts into an Access db. I know they do it for past performances, but I would like to do it for the Charts.

I try to stay current with these guys and gals, but I am just an old Fire Horse answering the bell. I love to read the intelligencia on this forum. Some great Folks, whom, I am sure will make you welcomed.

Bruddah

njcurveball
04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I have yet to see the commercial program that my own spread sheet won't beat.

Curious as to why we have not heard of your spreadsheet success on the tournament trail?

If you are making over $500k on your own betting, than no sense winning it against the computer handicapping chumps in Vegas.

Sounds like have found the perfect solution for you! :ThmbUp:

sjk
04-16-2008, 07:26 PM
That was a witticism. It does work well for me, but there are several categories of information that I want to use, but am having a hard time quantifying. For example...

It's hard for the computer to read race comments. I've developed a lexicon of common comments that I could use to possibly throw out certain races. Like Bmp Start, Bumped 1/4, Stumbled, Stmbl, etc. Was it the one race? If he's stumbled or been bumped 4 out of the last 10 races, is he a klutz? Certainly in sprints this is going to cause him problems if it's persistent.

Since I'm having trouble assigning weighting to some of these areas, my program button "Race Notes" just gives my users a list of extra, pertinent information so they can add or subtract from the program's calcualted score as they see fit.

I pitch any race where the jockey was not on the horse at the first call. I figure that most of the time this will not be repeated and to leave it that the
horse was distanced throughout can really mess with your pace projections.

It seems to me a long time ago someone posted information about the results of blindly betting horses with a specific comment in the last race and "lost jockey" did quite well.

njcurveball
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
It seems to me a long time ago someone posted information about the results of blindly betting horses with a specific comment in the last race and "lost jockey" did quite well.

Some of these horses pay $100 or more to win. In my database since Jan 1, 2007 there were 470 horses with a last race comment that included "lost jock" or "lost rider".

55 of these won for a total return of $674.30 for $940 bet. A loss of almost 30 cents on the dollar.

Perhaps with some qualifiers this becomes profitable, but as a "blind bet", it is a loss greater than the track take.

Here is the curious query that produces the results you may be talking about.

If the horse has a comment which includes "fell", there are 670 that return $1359.20 and that IS a flat bet profit on a blind bet!

A few bombs included but an impressive result! :ThmbUp:

Jim

Kelso
04-16-2008, 09:38 PM

So, uh, ya sellin' your program already? Beta-testing? Free to friends? Who are these "users" of whom you speak?

andicap
04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
So, uh, ya sellin' your program already? Beta-testing? Free to friends? Who are these "users" of whom you speak?

Wow, that was an unfair dig -- he mentions "users" in passing and gets ripped already. I mean he doesn't give a website nor does he mention that his software is for sale. I don't see a pitch here at all.

Kelso
04-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Wow, that was an unfair dig -- he mentions "users" in passing and gets ripped already. I mean he doesn't give a website nor does he mention that his software is for sale. I don't see a pitch here at all.

In passing or otherwise, he mentions "users." Hence the question. (You gettin' a piece of his action here? :D )

MiJan
04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Bruddah,

Why not import the charts as csv into Excel. You could then eliminate the columns you didn't want and save the spread. You could create a macro that did the column elimination for you each time you got a new chart.

If you are familiar enough with Microsoft Access creating a database would not require programming. Excel is an ActiveX.EXE. It is directly accessible from Access.

I don't know that this is possible, but I envision having someone write a program for downloading specific information from the Charts into an Access db. I know they do it for past performances, but I would like to do it for the Charts.

Bruddah
04-17-2008, 02:53 PM
I have just picked up Access and trying to learn it. I can make and use spreadsheets in Excess but haven't done any importation of data. Basically, I am a mid 60's old paper handicapper. I am slow to pick up on this stuff but keep trying. (not got any feet in the grave yet :D )

I was really hoping someone had all ready done it and I could pay them. I knew pp's could be downloaded but was totally unaware if charts could. My goal is to build a database of charts for the track I play. I do so now manually and profitably, but an elctronic downloaded database of charts would lighten/quicken the burden of that manual record keeping.

Truthfully, computers having come late in my life make my learning curve long and hard. By the time I learn something, the technology has leap frogged again. For me, it's a never ending chase and I don't think there will ever be an apex to my learning curve. More like a flat line. :D

Thank you for making me aware that there is a way of doing it.

Best Regards
Bruddah

PaceAdvantage
04-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow, that was an unfair dig -- he mentions "users" in passing and gets ripped already. I mean he doesn't give a website nor does he mention that his software is for sale. I don't see a pitch here at all.Actually, his very first post on this site had to be removed due to TOS violations. Just lettin' you know....

MiJan
04-19-2008, 04:39 PM
What is it with anyone trying to point to handicapping software that immediately gets a delete. I for one, would be interested and seeing what he has to offer.

You deleted my first message and I still don't see the reason nor was I told, even though I asked. :confused:

JustRalph
04-19-2008, 08:05 PM
What is it with anyone trying to point to handicapping software that immediately gets a delete. I for one, would be interested and seeing what he has to offer.

You deleted my first message and I still don't see the reason nor was I told, even though I asked. :confused:

Because it would be unfair to those who pay to advertise

not my place, but isn't that obvious?

Kelso
04-19-2008, 10:58 PM
You deleted my first message and I still don't see the reason nor was I told,

What part of "TOS violation" don't you understand?

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2008, 01:27 AM
What is it with anyone trying to point to handicapping software that immediately gets a delete.I really wish folks would bother to read the terms of this board when they register. If they did, you wouldn't get ignorant statements such as the quote from MiJan above.

No, it's not "anyone trying to point to handicapping software" that's the problem MiJan, it's VENDORS themselves trying to promote THEIR OWN software that is prohibited.

It's perfectly fine for ANYONE to "point to" or discuss ANY software they please. It is NOT fine for VENDORS to come here and pimp their own warez without prior authorization.

Why this confusion exists where certain folks think you can't talk about handicapping software is beyond me. For goodness sakes, there is an ENTIRE SECTION of this board devoted to HANDICAPPING SOFTWARE. Obviously, it is ok for ANYONE (except VENDORS) to talk about ANYTHING they please....

MiJan
04-20-2008, 02:40 PM
If they did, you wouldn't get ignorant statements such as the quote from MiJan above.

The quote below is mine from the Harness Forum a couple weeks ago.

I am new to PA and apparently didn't adhere to some administrators guideline as a message I posted (in this thread) was deleted. Don't know the reason for the delete as my (reply) message directly answered questions asked without exceeding the guidelines (which I took the time to read after joining and before posting).

Pace replied but made no attempt to answer the acutal concern regarding the deletion.

I don't appreciate your quite rude comment (top quote), Pace. It was your inability to respond to the initial inquiry that created the view I hold.

Perhaps this message will disappear, as it may show the real (misplaced) ignorance.

MiJan
04-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Kelso,

What part of 'get the facts' before you jump in don't you understand?

Kelso
04-20-2008, 03:13 PM
What part of 'get the facts' before you jump in don't you understand?

I completely understand your chosen cliche'. There is no part thereof that I do not understand. You have jumped to a grossly inaccurate conclusion if, as it appears from your insipid question, you think otherwise. (Can't say as I'm at all surprised, though; given your earlier post.)

I also know, from first-hand experience, that at PA it takes a serious assault on the TOS before any post is deleted. Your assertion, as fact, that one of your posts was yanked is all the information I need to be absolutely certain that you screwed up.

And your inane admonishment that "anyone trying to point to handicapping software that immediately gets a delete" clearly confirms, to me, the fact that you consider yourself above compliance with, or even a basic understanding of, any mere website owner's published terms of use.

Do you understand those facts, Jack? :D

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Well, it seems this thread has run its course...carry on....