PDA

View Full Version : First Saturday in May

BillW
04-14-2008, 12:34 AM
I just got back from the premier in Louisville. ( http://www.churchilldowns.com/node/434 )

I thought they did a great job of documenting the every day goings on of the people involved in bringing a horse along the derby trail (trainers, asst. trainers, trainers families, and jocks). Horse racing fans will enjoy it and hopefully it will appeal to the non horse racing fan also.

As an aside, Dale Roman's kid was really funny. I talked to him for about 30 secs. afterwards and slapped him a high five for the job he did in the film - the kid is to say the least precocious.

I highly recommend it for those in an area where it will be shown. Spread the word to your non horse race loving friends too. As an added touch, 25% of the receipts is going to the Grayson Jockey Club Research Foundation.

Bill

Murph
04-14-2008, 09:13 AM
I just got back from the premier in Louisville. ( http://www.churchilldowns.com/node/434 )

I thought they did a great job of documenting the every day goings on of the people involved in bringing a horse along the derby trail (trainers, asst. trainers, trainers families, and jocks). Horse racing fans will enjoy it and hopefully it will appeal to the non horse racing fan also.

As an aside, Dale Roman's kid was really funny. I talked to him for about 30 secs. afterwards and slapped him a high five for the job he did in the film - the kid is to say the least precocious.

I highly recommend it for those in an area where it will be shown. Spread the word to your non horse race loving friends too. As an added touch, 25% of the receipts is going to the Grayson Jockey Club Research Foundation.

BillThanks Bill, this film is playing at an interesting venue in Indianapolis and I'm making plans to attend. Nice review. - Murph

joanied
04-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes....thanks for your review of the movie...I'm so happy to know they got it right about showing what life is about on the backside...
I assume they had a full house in the theater?

I'm going to have to buy the DVD because it'll never show here in the Rocky Mountain area... which bums me out.
I cannot :jump: wait to see this movie!!

BillW
04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes....thanks for your review of the movie...I'm so happy to know they got it right about showing what life is about on the backside...
I assume they had a full house in the theater?

Unfortunately not. I guess the theater may have sat 1500 and it was about half full ( both VERY rough estimates)

Openings follow:

OPENS FRIDAY, APRIL 18th
Austin - Dobie
Berkeley - Shattuck
Boston - Kendall Square
Chicago - Century
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky - Florence Cinemas
Cleveland - Cedar Lee
Columbus (IN) - Yes Cinema
Denver - Chez Artist
Detroit - Maple Art
Indianapolis - Keystone Cinema
Lexington (KY) - Kentucky Theatre
Los Angeles - Sunset Laemmle
Louisville (KY) - Cinema De Lux 20: Stonybrook
Minneapolis - Lagoon
NYC - Cinema Village
Philadelphia - Ritz at the Bourse
St. Louis - Plaza Frontenac
San Diego - Hillcrest
San Francisco - Opera Plaza
Washington, DC - E Street

OPENS THURSDAY, APRIL 24th
Saratoga Springs (NY) - Saratoga Film Forum

OPENS FRIDAY, APRIL 25th
Milwaukee - Downer
Muskegon (MI) - Harbor Theatre
Atlanta - Midtown Arts
Seattle - Varsity

joanied
04-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Really:eek: Geeze, that's a bit depressing....you would have thought that everyone that could be there would have been there...opening of a Kentucky Derby movie in Louisville and the theater is half full (or half empty)...shame, shame, shame:mad: on every horse person in the area.

Let's hope they get full houses at the other premiers... the racing industry needs this movie to be a huge hit...maybe even be nominated for best documentary:ThmbUp: film at this year's Academy Awards.

Kousa
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Would love to see this but will have to wait for DVD, no showings in Florida :bang:

Rackon
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Saw this in Indianapolis last night and there was a surprsingly good turnout for a Sunday night. Not all horse people by any means either - the couple behind me have been to the Derby once and were impressed out of their minds by the pageantry but have no ties to horses. I noticed there were a lot of sniffles when they got to Barbaro's demise. (That whole episode was handled very tactfully by the filmmakers.)

Needless to say, I enjoyed it tremendously. A must see for racing fans. The thing I loved most about this film is it shows how much of a family business most training operations are, from the big names to the small guys. That was a nice group of horses in 2006 - the guys picked a good year to shoot it.

'Couse we already knew what colorful types inhabit the backstretch. Wouldn't we all love to see the outtakes from the movie? And the Romans clan should have their own reality TV show. :D

Anyone know whatever happened to Achilles of Troy? Did he ever come back from the tendon injury or was he retired?

Murph - I think the engagement is for one week only so if you want to see FSIM at Landmark you better get up there soon.

toetoe
04-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Doesn't Louie Roussel have a contendah this year ? Colorful guy.

joanied
04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Doesn't Louie Roussel have a contendah this year ? Colorful guy.

Yep...and he named this horse to tell everyone what he wants to do....
'Recapturetheglory'.
He also said he's mellowed with age...but if his horse gets in and actually wins...I'll bet we'd see the same crazy :jump: dude from Risen Star fame!!
:)

Rackon
04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
You know it! Don't think his horse will win but it'd be a sight to see Roussel in the winner's circle.

joanied
04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
You know it! Don't think his horse will win but it'd be a sight to see Roussel in the winner's circle.

No, this horse won't win....but, if he goes, the media will surely find Roussel and get him on :jump: camera....he'd be irresistable!!

ALostTexan
04-25-2008, 01:59 AM
If anyone is from the Tucson area, we are planning a viewing on Monday on the campus at the University of Arizona. $5 to get in, which includes refreshments (no bourbon though), a Q&A session with Brad after the film, and a 2008 Derby glass.

If anyone can make it PM me and I will get you more info...

joanied
04-25-2008, 10:41 AM
If anyone is from the Tucson area, we are planning a viewing on Monday on the campus at the University of Arizona. $5 to get in, which includes refreshments (no bourbon though), a Q&A session with Brad after the film, and a 2008 Derby glass.

If anyone can make it PM me and I will get you more info...

New today:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/Now/News/NewsletterTopNews/44779.aspx

Looks like there will be more :ThmbUp: showings....but not in my:( neck of the country.
I can't wait for May 1st. so I can order the DVD!!!

toetoe
04-26-2008, 12:39 PM
'm goin' back .. t'Tucson ... Tucson ... Tu-uscon. :ThmbUp:

njcurveball
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
New today:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/Now/News/NewsletterTopNews/44779.aspx

Looks like there will be more :ThmbUp: showings....but not in my:( neck of the country.
I can't wait for May 1st. so I can order the DVD!!!

Can you give a lil more detail for us NON subscribers?

Login

The page you are trying to view is only available to members. You must login to view this content.

joanied
04-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Can you give a lil more detail for us NON subscribers?

Login

The page you are trying to view is only available to members. You must login to view this content.

Here is the full article.... the web site's URL is at the end of the article.
I beleive you can subscribe for free...but can't swear by that.

Please no postings of subscription protected material! - mod

joanied
04-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Please no postings of subscription protected material! - mod

OOOPPPSSS:bang:

joanied
05-01-2008, 02:31 PM
. . . click the link below :jump: to pre-order today!!!

http://www.neoflix.com/store/hen35/ (http://www.neoflix.com/store/hen35/)

SEE the Hennegan Brothers' movie promoted this week on THE MARTHA STEWART SHOW and ESPN

Friday, May 2nd - THE MARTHA STEWART SHOW on NBC (check local listings)
Friday, May 2nd (4:30 PM EST) - LIVE INTERVIEW W KENNY MAYNE on ESPN'S Derby coverage

HEAR the Hennegan Brothers' movie promoted this week on JIM ROME's nationally syndicated radio program.

Thursday, May 1st (1:30 PM EST) -THE JIM ROME SHOW (check local listings)

READ about the Hennegan Brothers' movie in CINDY ADAMS' nationally syndicated New York Post gossip column.

Friday, May 2nd - NEW YORK POST and other fine American newspapers (check local paper)

Thanks for your support!

Best,

The Hennegan Brothers
http://www.thefirstsaturdayinmay.com (http://www.thefirstsaturdayinmay.com/)

bigmack
05-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Pre-sales?? Who do these guys think they are, John Huston & Orson Welles?

Can I order a hat, T-shirt and poster as well or are those "on ice" for the scads of anxious customers?

Sounds more like their fingers are in the wind to gauge how many to order themselves.

njcurveball
05-01-2008, 04:53 PM
SEE the Hennegan Brothers' movie promoted this week on THE MARTHA STEWART SHOW and ESPN

Friday, May 2nd - THE MARTHA STEWART SHOW on NBC (check local listings)
Friday, May 2nd (4:30 PM EST) - LIVE INTERVIEW W KENNY MAYNE on ESPN'S Derby coverage

Thanks for sharing! I hope this movie does well! :ThmbUp:

joanied
05-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for sharing! I hope this movie does well! :ThmbUp:

You are most welcome :) and me too!! I don't think the Ruffian movie, or that corny movie 'Dreamer' did much to lure in new 'fans'... but if this movie can do half of what:ThmbUp: 'Seabiscuit' did, then we may get those new fans...or at least more interest in our sport.
And I am going to pre-order a DVD because living in northern Wyoming, there isn't much hope :( at seeing it in a theater...besides, I want it for my DVD collection.
I have 'On the Muscle', which was very good, and the one about Lafit Pincay, which is excellent.

I wonder if everyone here knows they are in production on the movie 'Secretariat'?

Have a good one

BillW
10-26-2008, 04:58 PM
FYI HRTV will be airing The First Saturday In May on Wednesday 10/29 at 8:00 Eastern.

LottaKash
10-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I pick Big Brown to win the Derby............:jump:

best,

BillW
10-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I pick Big Brown to win the Derby............:jump:

best,

Wrong Saturday - this was done in 2006.

joanied
10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I bought First Sat. in May on DVD... I thought it was well done, but I didn't like a couple of the trainers they used in it. There were so many trainers that are entertaining as well as on the Triple Crown trail to choose from.
I really didn't think it was good enough to attract a large veiwing audiance, and thought it could have been much better.
Just my opinion.

Grits
10-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Best line in the moving was Pletcher's question to Jake Romans. Little did I know Pletcher has such a quick and fine sense of humor. And Jake, of course, steals the entire flick. What a hustler!!

BillW
10-29-2008, 07:18 PM
FYI HRTV will be airing The First Saturday In May on Wednesday 10/29 at 8:00 Eastern.

Bump

JustRalph
10-30-2008, 06:18 AM
DVR'ed........... :ThmbUp:

FantasticDan
12-12-2009, 12:16 PM
The DVD for this doc was finally released for rental this week, and Netflix delivered it to my door..

A very watchable film for any racing fan of course, but the lingering question I had was in regard to what happened to Achilles of Troy..

This recent blog review of the movie says, Poor Achilles completely disappeared, and only rumor puts him in poor condition at Aqueduct days after the 22 counts of abuse were filed against his owner in April of this year.

Seen here:

http://whitebrookfarm.blogspot.com/2009/11/first-saturday-in-may.html

Just awful to hear. Wherever Achilles is now (does anyone know for sure?), I hope he's safe and sound.