PDA

View Full Version : West Coast is jumping......Earthquakes

JustRalph
04-12-2008, 03:21 AM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Maps/region/N_America.php

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Maps/region/N_America.gif

Check out Alaska.........and off the coast of Oregon.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080412/D9000MJ00.html

Tom
04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Let's just hope that they don't have it wrong and the EAST side falls into the sea!:eek:

chickenhead
04-12-2008, 12:26 PM
we're overdue for big one...

Gibbon
04-12-2008, 07:21 PM
First killer bees, than global cooling, and SARS/Avian flu/HIV and now Earth-quacks...
I don't need yet another thing to worry me.

Doesn't the Mayan calendar foresee the end of days sometime in 2012???

pktruckdriver
04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
If the end is near then I better hurry up and hit my Place all bet and pick 6 too.

I do not want to be able to claim that I was not good enough to hit a Place All and pick 6 only, by playing less than $50 per play, not the bigger tickets, for 2 reasons which should be obvious by now.

But back to the Earthquakes and the disappearing bees too, as well as the killer bees , the Ice caps are melting too, all which are signs that things are constantly changing and we will adapt to it, we always do. Life goes on.

Patrick

DJofSD
04-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Earthquakes are a fact of life here on the eastern rim of the ring of fire.

Here's an interesting note from the LA Times (note the date):
latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/wire/sns-ap-earthquake-swarm,1,6252882.story
Unusual Earthquakes Measured Off Oregon
By JEFF BARNARD
Associated Press Writer

1:06 PM PDT, April 12, 2008

GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Scientists listening to underwater microphones have detected an unusual swarm of earthquakes off central Oregon, something that often happens before a volcanic eruption -- except there are no volcanoes in the area.

Scientists don't know exactly what the earthquakes mean, but they could be the result of molten rock rumbling away from the recognized earthquake faults off Oregon, said Robert Dziak, a geophysicist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Oregon State University.

There have been more than 600 quakes over the past 10 days in a basin 150 miles southwest of Newport. The biggest was magnitude 5.4, and two others were more than magnitude 5.0, OSU reported.

On the hydrophones, the quakes sound like low thunder and are unlike anything scientists have heard in 17 years of listening, Dziak said. Some of the quakes have also been detected by earthquake instruments on land.

The hydrophones are left over from a network the Navy used to listen for submarines during the Cold War. They routinely detect passing ships, earthquakes on the ocean bottom and whales calling to one another.

Scientists hope to send out an OSU research ship to take water samples, looking for evidence that sediment has been stirred up and chemicals that would indicate magma is moving up through the Juan de Fuca Plate, Dziak said.

The quakes have not followed the typical pattern of a major shock followed by a series of diminishing aftershocks, and few have been strong enough to be felt on shore.

The Earth's crust is made up of plates that rest on molten rock, which are rubbing together. When the molten rock, or magma, erupts through the crust, it creates volcanoes.

That can happen in the middle of a plate. When the plates lurch against each other, they create earthquakes along the edges.

In this case, the Juan de Fuca Plate is a small piece of crust being crushed between the Pacific Plate and North America, Dziak said.

Marshall Bennett
04-13-2008, 10:45 AM
.... here we go again !!

jballscalls
04-13-2008, 11:21 AM
"They" have been saying that we're due for the big one in Seattle for a while. "They" must be the ALWAYS negative left.

chickenhead
04-13-2008, 11:31 AM
First killer bees, than global cooling, and SARS/Avian flu/HIV and now Earth-quacks...
I don't need yet another thing to worry me.

I don't know why everyone thinks it's such a negative thing? Generally I don't think people out here in the West are as terrified of earthquakes as people who don't have them seem to be, it's just a fact of life. Sometimes we have earthquakes. If they really worry and scare someone who lives out here, they should move.

It's kind of like saying we're due for rain.

Shenanigans
04-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Nice size one in Illinois this AM. New Madrid is waking up. Not good.

jballscalls
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
i live in a 100 year old building in downtown Cincy and we definately felt a little rocking this morning. i hopped out of bed thinking i was having a seizure or something.

DJofSD
04-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I believe the largest earthquake ever in the lower 48 was in the midwest. It changed the course of the Mississippi river.

russowen77
04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Nice size one in Illinois this AM. New Madrid is waking up. Not good.
I grew up on that fault. If the next one is anything like the last one the devestation there will be immense. 20 feet of soil liquified and the course of the Mississippi was changed. Luckily, at the time few people lived there. The area still is not densely populated but Memphis will be gone.

We got plate rattlers so often folks paid them no mind.

GaryG
04-18-2008, 09:51 AM
There was a big one in West Tennessee in 1811. The say the Mississippi was flowing backwards.

http://www.reelfoot.com/new_madrid_earthquake.htm

DJofSD
04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Initial feedback from me coworkers in and around the St. Louis area -- yep, they felt it and a couple were woke up by it. For some, it was the first earthquake they've ever experienced.

witchdoctor
04-18-2008, 04:08 PM
The eartquake was probably brought on by global warming from all the hot air coming out of Washington.

Shenanigans
04-18-2008, 05:31 PM
http://asms.K12.ar.us/armem/richards/

This is a real interesting site of the 1812 earthquake. Scroll down and check out the eyewitness accounts. Amazing stuff.

DJofSD
04-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I've been to Point Reyes and the center they have there for the San Francisco quake of 100+ years ago. It's very awe inspiring to see the results of what happened. I hope I never have to experience one of those big ones up close and personal. As a lifelong resident of California, I've been through any number of quakes. The biggest was the 1971 quake in Sylmar. That was about 40 miles or so from where I was living at the time. Almost shook me out of bed. Less that a week later, I drove through that area and will never forget the damage to the freeways. It was surreal.

Gibbon
04-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Magnitude 5.4 earthquake strikes 127 miles east of St. Louis, felt in several states.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008qza6.html

Dan Montilion
04-19-2008, 01:33 AM
DAY AFTER DAY
(Tommy Reynolds / Stuart Margolin / Jerry Riopelle)

artist: Shango

Day after day, more people come to L.A.
Ssh! Don't you tell anybody the whole place is slipping away.
Where can we go when there's no San Francisco?
Ssh! Better get ready to tie up the boat in Idaho.

Do you know the swim? You better learn quick, Jim.
Those who don't know how to swim, better sing the hymn.
Tuna at the bowl. Fine fillet o' much soul.
Whoo! Whoo! What can we do with a bushel of wet gold?

Where can we go when there's no San Diego?

Do you know the swim? You better learn quick, Jim.
Those who don't know how to swim, better sing the hymn.
Tuna at the bowl. Fine fillet o' much soul.
Whoo! Whoo! What can we do with a bushel of wet gold?

Better get ready to tie up the boat in Idaho
(repeat to fade)

DJofSD
04-26-2008, 07:22 AM
First a swam then a nice modest jolt followed by some aftershocks. Reno be rockin'.