PDA

View Full Version : Three Horses being ignored;

JustRalph
04-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I haven't seen anybody really address the Illinois Derby winner

Recapturetheglory. Any thoughts on the race? Was the track really favoring speed to a big extent? Another Cowtown cat?

Smooth Air: I thought this horse ran a big race behind Big Brown. I see he is on the TVG list for the Derby based on Graded Earnings. Is he going?

Coast Guard: I thought this guy might get it done last out and got caught late by Colonel John. I think it was a huge effort though.

Stevie Belmont
04-11-2008, 11:19 PM
All 3 are on my Derby list..Same order as well

Smooth Air is going, and Recapturetheglory is going to, not sure about Coast Guard

5) (-) Recapturetheglory- Cherokee Run – Cold Awakening – Dehere, Purchase Price $215,000, Feb (E) Recapturetheglory debuts in the number 5 spot on ThoroughbredZones Derby 12. He stamped himself a ticket to the Kentucky Derby after his game front running win the Illinois Derby. Recapturetheglory if anything made himself a certain pace factor in this years Derby. His race was actually not that bad. It looked liked he would be hooked at the top of the stretch and passed by Golden Spikes, but that was not to be the case. He dug down and opened up winning easy. This is the time of the year you want to see horses heading to the Derby run big races, and this was a good win on the front end at a 1 1/8. He will no doubly be pointed to Kentucky after the win.

9 (12) Smooth Air- Smooth Jazz - Air France- By French Deputy, (S/E) He is up to number 9 this week. He was the only other horse in the picture when Big Brown hit the wire. He was no match for him, but kept up the best he could as the others toiled. Tomicito could have made if he ran big. He was third, but way back. . Trainer Benny Stutts Jr is optimistic about his colt. The one thing we know for sure is that Smooth Air stamped his ticket to Kentucky with the second place finish. And there is little doubt that Benny Stutts will run there.

12)(-) Coast Guard- Stormy Atlantic – Vassar – Royal Academy, Purchase Price $300,000 April (E) Coast Guard Debuts at number 12, one of the more highly priced horses on the trail this year. Led almost the entire way in the Santa Anita Derby in a strong effort. Only beaten by 2 lengths or so. Graded Earnings look to be an issue with this horse, not sure if he has enough, but based on what I saw on the track he is at least worthy of a mention here. He dug in stubbornly late and was only past by Bob Black Jack and Colonel John. He ripped off solid clicks in the effort and still had something left late. And he is another one with zero dirt experience on the resume. We do not know if will get in, but he ran a solid race. A lot better then some of the others that are no longer on the list.

plainolebill
04-12-2008, 03:47 AM
JR, I'm not sure that Hawthorne had a big speed bias, I'm sure some of the other connections hope so. I was impressed when that other horse headed him on the turn and he just took off. I'd give Recapturetheglory the benefit of the doubt at 20-1. He also got one of the highest Beyer's by any 3yo this year and I think he's gonna go off at boxcars.

Seems like there are two scenarios with the KD contenders every year. The fast horses: people are looking for reasons why they can't win and the slower ones: people are looking for excuses. I do it myself.

Coast Guard ran a big race at SAX but he didn't lift a hoof at BM his only race on dirt. Hoffman has said they aren't going to the derby - possibly the Lexington, if he goes there I think he'll be tough.

You know I like Coast Guard :D ....

plainolebill MCPO USCG Ret.

Tee
04-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Recapturetheglory - Several have done exactly what he did. Cowtown Cat, Pollard's Vision, Greeley's Legacy, Sweetnorthernsaint, War Emblem. Which one will RCTG emulate? Will he find the same setup @ CD that he did in the Illinois Derby? I can't imagine that he will.

Smooth Air - Can he win beyond 7 furlongs? Comment line says best of rest in Florida Derby. Who exactly was in behind him?

Coast Guard - I've had better luck with SA horses going to Kentucky that close into a third place finish. Trainer David Hofmans has decided that Coast Guard will not be making a trip to Kentucky anyway.

ny0707ny
04-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Glory is terrible. He took three tries to break his maiden and only won the 3rd time by a nose. Next entered two allowances races and lost both. Not my idea of a Derby champion.

Stevie Belmont
04-12-2008, 10:08 PM
You still have War Pass number 1?

Glory is terrible. He took three tries to break his maiden and only won the 3rd time by a nose. Next entered two allowances races and lost both. Not my idea of a Derby champion.

ny0707ny
04-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Not my final pick just yet, but as of now I rank War Pass #1. Workouts, post positions and pace of the race will make it final or not.

You have to have a tough horse also for this race. I really don't see any tougher out there. He wins on that by miles. The field is very weak this year. That is the reason why he stands out so much.

I really think he can bounce up from last race. Final workouts will tell that.

Stevie Belmont
04-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Did you ever think he might not get the distance?

Not my final pick just yet, but as of now I rank War Pass #1. Workouts, post positions and pace of the race will make it final or not.

You have to have a tough horse also for this race. I really don't see any tougher out there. He wins on that by miles. The field is very weak this year. That is the reason why he stands out so much.

I really think he can bounce up from last race. Final workouts will tell that.

jognlope
04-13-2008, 06:45 AM
I was watching ID and thought the same thing about Recapture

Marlin
04-13-2008, 10:06 PM
If a son of Cherokee Run wins the Derby, might as well stop betting the Derby.:)