PDA

View Full Version : BIG TRUCK

xfile
04-10-2008, 08:23 AM
BIG TRUCK - He'll be going into the Blue Grass razor sharp. On April 8 he worked four furlongs Tuesday morning over the Keeneland Polytrack. Big Truck got the distance in :463, the fastest of 55 works at that distance for the day. He got the first quater in 233 and galloped out 5f in 590 . “He worked a little faster than I desired, but not too fast,” trainer Barclay Tagg said. “He’s a fast horse. But he did it very easily and he handled the track well.” “He never gets intimidated, I don't think,” said Tagg, who trained 2003 Derby winner Funny Cide. “He's a pretty crafty horse. He keeps getting better and better all the time.”

Won the Grade 3 Tampa Bay Derby on March 15 with a steady rally. He basically ran the same final time at the same distance on the same track (comparing to Sam Davis race). Although he did run a faster early pace in the TB Derby so that shows some improvement. He has definitely showed improved maturity in the 2 races that he was ridden by Eibar Coa.

In the Tampa Bay Derby he patiently layed in 5th position early between horses and was confidently ridden by Eibar Coa. When Atoned passed WAR PASS it got Coa's attention so he swung out wide to make his move. Big Truck wore down ATONED late to get the victory pushing the colt's record to 7-3-1-1. This New York bred son of HOOK AND LADDER doesn't exactly have the pedigree for a classic distance on top but does get some stamina influence from the dam's side.

Trainer Barclay Tagg said "I told (Coa) to ride for second." Tagg added "I told him if something happens to War Pass, if you ride for second, he'll win the race....We thought he was a little less mature than some of our other horses are. It just took him a little while."

That win in the TB Derby currently places him in a solid 15th position on the graded earnings list.

Big Truck finished a solid 2nd in the $200k Sam Davis and was actually going better late in the stretch than the winner Fierce Wind. Another couple of jumps and he would have had his picture taken.

Many people forget that he even ran in the 9f Grade Remsen as a 2yo. He got a horrible trip in that race and ended up finising 4th.

VIDEO: Tampa Bay Derby (G3) (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2008/videos/759)
VIDEO: Sam F Davis Stakes (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2008/videos/570)
VIDEO: Remsen Stakes (G2) (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2008/videos/267)
VIDEO: Maiden Win (Saratoga) (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2008/videos/825)
NEXT START - Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1) on April 12 at Keeneland
http://www.fullcardreports.com/CAP/2008-Kentucky-Derby-Contenders.htm

Robert Fischer
04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
has got sneaky-good pedigree stamina. A derby longshot with a shot.
Is he "turfy" enough to win at keeneland? Fast work not conclusive.

russowen77
04-10-2008, 09:20 AM
While Hook and Ladder is throwing mostly speedballs so far-5.6f AWD, his breeding is actually more for stamina imo.

His DI is 1.4, DP of 5-0-11-1-1, and more importantly is linebred 5x5 to Almahoud, Never Bend, and Turn-to. On the dam side is Go for Gin and Halo and some well bred mares.

He is even developing a little late, another sign in my eyes. It looks to me they were trying to add a little speed to the mix in Hook and Ladder--who right now is way to young to actually know what he will throw.

This is no piece of fluff.

slewis
04-10-2008, 11:41 AM
While Hook and Ladder is throwing mostly speedballs so far-5.6f AWD, his breeding is actually more for stamina imo.

His DI is 1.4, DP of 5-0-11-1-1, and more importantly is linebred 5x5 to Almahoud, Never Bend, and Turn-to. On the dam side is Go for Gin and Halo and some well bred mares.

He is even developing a little late, another sign in my eyes. It looks to me they were trying to add a little speed to the mix in Hook and Ladder--who right now is way to young to actually know what he will throw.

This is no piece of fluff.

Sorry to disagree (partially) about Hook and Ladder. I'm involved with the ownership of Big Truck and did the pedigree before (and when ) we bought him. I will RARELY buy or breed a horse (for Eric Fein anyway) that has "sprint" pedigree, I HATE IT!!!. Truck on paper showed enough on the female side (Go for Gin BM sire) to take the chance that at least 1mile would be NO Problem. Since the day Barclay got him from his assistants last AUG at Saratoga, he knew he was special. I assured him that on paper the sky's the limit. (Even though some very good trainers told me "he's a Hook and Ladder, shorten him up".)
Watch his races ... HE NEVER TIRES, he may have gotten beaten, but NEVER tires. Trust me, the longer, the better.

As far as Hook and Ladder AWD, it's a bull shit stat at this point because the MAJORITY of his foals haven't tried distance yet. (Most horses start at 5 and 6 furlong races) When bred to the right mare's , he will produce horses that can get distance.
Does Spanky Fishbein ring a bell?????

russowen77
04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Sorry to disagree (partially) about Hook and Ladder. I'm involved with the ownership of Big Truck and did the pedigree before (and when ) we bought him. I will RARELY buy or breed a horse (for Eric Fein anyway) that has "sprint" pedigree, I HATE IT!!!. Truck on paper showed enough on the female side (Go for Gin BM sire) to take the chance that at least 1mile would be NO Problem. Since the day Barclay got him from his assistants last AUG at Saratoga, he knew he was special. I assured him that on paper the sky's the limit. (Even though some very good trainers told me "he's a Hook and Ladder, shorten him up".)
Watch his races ... HE NEVER TIRES, he may have gotten beaten, but NEVER tires. Trust me, the longer, the better.

As far as Hook and Ladder AWD, it's a bull shit stat at this point because the MAJORITY of his foals haven't tried distance yet. (Most horses start at 5 and 6 furlong races) When bred to the right mare's , he will produce horses that can get distance.
Does Spanky Fishbein ring a bell?????

That was the reason I said "so far." I agree with you that it will change since he H&L is not meant for breeding just sprinters imo. I put it in there in case someone wants to bring it up.

I am a line breeder at heart although of course I will do whatever is asked. If you bred BT it was an absolute masterful job imo. Finding a stallion that gave balance to the above mentioned three in his fifth gen bordered on genius. With Dixieland Band being in the mix and that breeding he is going to throw some wonderful broodmares also imo if he can get the G1 he needs to have enough mares to give him a chance.

That dam line did need a little turn of foot for the US. Scary part about that colt is that he should get better with age. All of his major stallions gen 2 and back had numerous starts so he should stay sound. H & L had 19 starts himself.

All I can say is whoever bred this animal gets a big :ThmbUp:from me.