PDA

View Full Version : The new track announcer at Finger Lakes is...

hbeck
04-08-2008, 07:12 PM
...Tony Calo. Can't say I approve.

I don't bet FL often so it won't effect me too much.

fromtheroof
04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Didnt know the announcer affected how your horses run! Calo is fine by me

hbeck
04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
That could be a new angle... announcers and their impact on a horses form...:)

I just find him boombastic and annoying.

At least it isn't Battaglia.

My favorite announcers and Durkin and Collmus.

JustRalph
04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
ASn9Mf2TGLM

Wow, the only one I can do a decent imitation of............

" And There they Go!!"

Greyfox
04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I sit one row back and to the left of a guy called Tom.
His call of the race is better than I can hear from the announcer.
I luv his humor and his diatribes when tickets are ripped up.
The big kick is the guy doesn't even know I'm there.
Finger Lakes = Tom = Pizza's

v j stauffer
04-09-2008, 03:24 AM
...Tony Calo. Can't say I approve.

I don't bet FL often so it won't effect me too much.

No one asked for your approval.

46zilzal
04-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Good announcers tell you what's happening accurately and then interject a bit of fun: Stauffer does that well as do NYRA & Monmouth callers. I have talked to our caller and it is NOT an easy job to be consistent. Anyone able to do that well has my vote as a pro.

lamboguy
04-09-2008, 07:09 AM
i think we should all wish tony calo well, he has some tough shoes to fill.

Tom
04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
I sit one row back and to the left of a guy called Tom.
His call of the race is better than I can hear from the announcer.
I luv his humor and his diatribes when tickets are ripped up.
The big kick is the guy doesn't even know I'm there.
Finger Lakes = Tom = Pizza's

Ah, yes, but my people are sitting behind you! ;)
I do a much more, uh, colorfull call than you standard announcer, though. :eek:

hbeck
04-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Vic, don't take it as offense against announcers. There craft is difficult and open to totally subjective opinions from their audience.

stu
04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Congratulations Tony!

I think that Finger Lakes made a great choice. I worked with Tony last year at ABQ where he was the pre-/post-race commentator. I think that he has a great eye for what a jockey and horse are doing right during a race.

For those of you in upstate New York, watch out. Tony is a good limit hold'em player. I like watching him play unless I am in the pot as well.

jballscalls
04-09-2008, 10:06 AM
got to meet Tony this past year, and it was really cool to get to talk to him. Where i'm from in Seattle he has a huge following from his days in Nor. Cal. He'll do great at FL, congrats to him and to them!!

rokitman
04-09-2008, 10:46 AM
No one asked for your approval.
Nor did hbeck ask for yours. And he certainly did not ask for, nor deserve, your condescension.

Imriledup
04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Nor did hbeck ask for yours. And he certainly did not ask for, nor deserve, your condescension.

Finger Lakes made a decision. THEIR approval is the only approval that matters.

So there.

Premier Turf Club
04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Looking forward to hearing Tony this season. Tough shoes to fill, but Tony is a solid guy and will do a good job.

v j stauffer
04-09-2008, 11:51 AM

I'm dry as a bone. I'm going to stick up for my guy when I read stuff like that. BTW why are you involved in our discussion?

v j stauffer
04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Vic, don't take it as offense against announcers. There craft is difficult and open to totally subjective opinions from their audience.

You're right H. I understand that we're fair game. I just like Tony and think he'll do a really great job. I was so happy to see the thread and then felt a thud with the very first line.

Perhaps he and I will win your approval.

George Sands
04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm dry as a bone. I'm going to stick up for my guy when I read stuff like that. BTW why are you involved in our discussion?

Yeah, what does he think this is, a message board?

Light
04-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Vic

You're a fine announcer,but I like Calo better. He's like a growling bear. You're a little weird.

v j stauffer
04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Vic

You're a fine announcer,but I like Calo better. He's like a growling bear. You're a little weird.

I can live with that. We all gotta be a little something.

v j stauffer
04-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah, what does he think this is, a message board?

Yeah! :mad:

boomman
04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Tony Calo is a fine track announcer and an absolute gentleman who I'm proud to call a friend. Finger Lakes is fortunate to land such a quality professional in our business and a person who has such a passion for horse racing. I believe he will be a fixture in upstate New York for many years like Ross was.........:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Boomer

BombsAway Bob
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
You're right H. I understand that we're fair game. I just like Tony and think he'll do a really great job. I was so happy to see the thread and then felt a thud with the very first line.

Perhaps he and I will win your approval.
I think TVG & HRTV have really brought Track Announcers individual styles to the forefront of the racing product. Before simulcasting, many people were only exposed to the announcer of their local track, hence the allegiance to greats like Harry Henson, Freddie Caposella, or going WAAY Back, MovieTone News caller Clem McCarthy.
Then simulcasting came, & hearing track announcers became more difficult, if not impossible, with 10 tracks running concurrently!
TVG & HRTV have allowed bettors the opportunity to really get into dynamite track announcers from coast-to-coast. I'm not going to start singling out callers, but how many folks do you know are dedicated enough to call a race during an Earthquake!:jump: :jump: :jump:

Dave Schwartz
04-09-2008, 02:20 PM
This whole track announcer thing is a bit strange to me.

I mean, I have my favorites. Denman, Cassidy, Durkin, and of course, our local fav, Stauffer. Most of the others I don't know by name.

But here is the thing... Do you have any idea how tough calling a race is?

I had a friend who tried to learn it years ago - a really knowledgeable and strong horse player. I watched him work at it. Dang, it looked difficult!

Might be easier to get on the PGA tour. And that is pretty tough I hear.

All I want in an announcer is someone who can get it right and, if possible, be a little entertaining.

"You're a little weird" somehow does not seem to be a valid critiquing point.

Dave

njcurveball
04-09-2008, 03:52 PM

I mean, I have my favorites. Denman, Cassidy, Durkin, and of course, our local fav, Stauffer. Most of the others I don't know by name.

A good announcer will handicap a lil to see what the likely pace scenario will be. They need to know all of the scratches and jockey changes. That is a pretty full day of work for most.

However, the fun has just begun. Now they need to mark their programs and call down to figure out how to pronounce all of the names. That includes horses, jocks, trainers, owners, even the people getting some award or retirement ceremony in the Winners circle.

Pronounce the right name wrong and Track Management will be calling.

And did I mention the race has not yet even begun. Now they will go over the field relating the names and numbers to the colors. #1 has a blue hat, #2 has a blue hat with a white stripe, etc.

They have about 10 minutes to get this all down. Once they come on the track, a lil refresher course. And don't forget the stewards and other track people calling all the time for some reason or another.

When the race starts they call from front to back. If something happens in the back, they probably miss it. The field of vision can only be so big when accuracy is involved.

They only get one chance to get each horse correct each time through the field.

When they enter the stretch, the crowd needs to feel the excitement and good announcers give it to them. But don't forget to get the 3rd and 4th finishers right for the exotics.

If they get everything right, they become invisible. Announce the prices, do the Winners Circle salutations and they can move on to the next race.

Now they have to forget #1 was a blue hat and memorize #1 has a red hat. #2 had a TZ on the back, but now it has an HW, etc.

Nine or ten chances to get about 40 or so calls a race wrong should cover it.

They earn their pay! The best are definitely worth a whole lot more! :ThmbUp:

Premier Turf Club
04-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Dave

I know exactly how hard it is. I often have to give friends calls of races over the phone and they unequivocally say I am the worst ever at it.

I really can't argue with that criticism. It's really hard and I'm really bad at it.

JustRalph
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Vic

:lol: :lol:

samyn on the green
04-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Very Happy for Tony Calo. I felt like it was a shame that a talent like Calo did not have a gig while people like Baggs are calling races. There are not enough r's being rolled out there and Calo is a welcome edition to New York racing.

Tom
04-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Well, I just watched the video rrrrrrrrreplays of day 1 for Tony.
All I can say is I am now glad I cannot watch live over the interrrrrrrrnet.:rolleyes:
He is.....a rrrrrrrrrrrrreason to avoid the rrrrrrrrrrraces at FL. Just a terrrrrrrrible announcerrrr. I've hearrrrrrrrrrrrd him someplace beforrrrrrrrrrrrre. Just terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ible.

(Couldn't they get the janitorrrrrrrrrr frrrrrrrrrrom the Simpson's high school?)

lamboguy
04-19-2008, 06:41 PM
that is the nutiest thing i have ever heard. the man did a great job today, he had big shoes to fill and passed with flying colors. you my man, might be the only living human to refuse to watch finger lakes on account of the anouncer.

on top of that the man calls a great race. why give him a hard time, do you want someone to stci it up your rear end when you try your best?

ross morton was great, if he was here today he would be happy that tony calo took over for him

rrpic6
04-19-2008, 07:02 PM
11-5-99 Race 8 Bay Meadows. Tony Calo says, "and its time to recognize Cabo Dorado". When times get tough, I hear that call in my head or I pop the tape in the VCR.

RR

JustRalph
04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
hey Lambo.......... Tom is an aquired taste. Sometimes he says things just to wind some people up............. and some of us love it............ :lol:

consider yourself wound............... :lol:

jma
04-19-2008, 09:12 PM
hey Lambo.......... Tom is an aquired taste. Sometimes he says things just to wind some people up............. and some of us love it............ :lol:

consider yourself wound............... :lol:

He's what the ignore button was made for.

Tom
04-20-2008, 12:20 AM
So ignorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre me alrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrready. You call me names because I don't like the guy's calls?

Get rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal.

(btw, the guy does suck!):lol:

richrosa
04-20-2008, 08:59 AM
There are so many people that will never be satisfied with anything. That's why we have boards and blogs have become so popular. In this way we all have a place to complain to people that might care. I imagine its saved a bunch of marriages. Instead of boring my wife about the things I don't like, I can come here and type away.

I like Tony, and think Vic is one of the best. No offense to to the current occupant who is real good too, but I've really missed Vic at Gulfstream.

BTW, I need to ask Tom if he handicaps and spends his day in a silent room (he doesn't like the caller and hates TVG amongst others), or do you have the 8-Track of your favorite 70's band playing endlessly? For an obviously passionate and informative man you gotta like something!!