PDA

View Full Version : I know I promised but Denman Blows it and the NY announcer does as well

BeatTheChalk
04-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Time to retire these relics from the past. Denman completely missed the move that Colonel John was making ....and the Aqueduct old timer kept on
repeating and repeating about the pace and the fractions and then .. oh
never mind I apologize .. good nite :bang:

Imriledup
04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Denman is a shell of his former self. The Breeders Cup, who hired him on reputation, hasn't listened to too many of his calls recently i guess.

Bruddah
04-08-2008, 02:39 PM
if the rest of us were as accurate in our jobs as race callers are in theirs, productivity in the American economy would be up 25%. I am no Trevor Denman fan, as most on this board will testify. However, I am a Big Fan of race callers and the spontaneous mental picture they paint.

I am irritated by English, Austrailian, South African and New Zealand accents. They strain my understanding of the race. Therfore, I usually don't bet those tracks, which employ those callers. However, I can't be critical of the group as professionals, because they consistently deliver accuracy in the high 90th percentile.

Your money is in the pools. The occasional busted race call does not change the outcome of the race. In essence, it hasn't cost you a dime. It may be irritating and lessens your audio pleasure of the race, but it don't mean squat. It just means the caller made a mistake. :eek:

Imriledup
04-08-2008, 03:16 PM
if the rest of us were as accurate in our jobs as race callers are in theirs, productivity in the American economy would be up 25%. I am no Trevor Denman fan, as most on this board will testify. However, I am a Big Fan of race callers and the spontaneous mental picture they paint.

I am irritated by English, Austrailian, South African and New Zealand accents. They strain my understanding of the race. Therfore, I usually don't bet those tracks, which employ those callers. However, I can't be critical of the group as professionals, because they consistently deliver accuracy in the high 90th percentile.

Your money is in the pools. The occasional busted race call does not change the outcome of the race. In essence, it hasn't cost you a dime. It may be irritating and lessens your audio pleasure of the race, but it don't mean squat. It just means the caller made a mistake. :eek:

It doesnt cost us money, but its not too much to ask for the announcer to call the correct horses. Most of us are actual racing fans and enjoy the dulcet tones of our favorite announcers and want accurate calls and information.

We're just asking a highly paid professional to do his or her job, we're not asking them to cure cancer.

Bruddah
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
It doesnt cost us money, but its not too much to ask for the announcer to call the correct horses. Most of us are actual racing fans and enjoy the dulcet tones of our favorite announcers and want accurate calls and information.

We're just asking a highly paid professional to do his or her job, we're not asking them to cure cancer.

I apologize for being antagonistic. However, in the famous words of Ricky Ricardo. "High paid"! I don't thin so Looosie.

Pace Cap'n
04-08-2008, 04:37 PM
All who have a problem with the announcers should have to bet like I have to...in front of a bank of TV's at a simo, with NO SOUND whatsover.

BeatTheChalk
04-08-2008, 06:13 PM

You make some excellent points. The English accent has always made me
crazy. ( Some would say I was close anyway ) As for Durkin - It's all been said. He almost makes me wish for the return of Marshall Cassidy. Almost *
Last point. Harry Henson used to have quick little seminars at Holly park
back in the day. His main comment was this " I want to focus on what is happening NOW...but always keep my eye on the CLOSER who figures to make a strong move. He was simply theee best. period.

Bruddah
04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
You make some excellent points. The English accent has always made me
crazy. ( Some would say I was close anyway ) As for Durkin - It's all been said. He almost makes me wish for the return of Marshall Cassidy. Almost *
Last point. Harry Henson used to have quick little seminars at Holly park
back in the day. His main comment was this " I want to focus on what is happening NOW...but always keep my eye on the CLOSER who figures to make a strong move. He was simply theee best. period.

Chalk, you are a true gentleman. Keep the powder and Racing Form dry. :D

Rackon
04-09-2008, 11:08 PM
I enjoy British accents. So there.

Sometimes the announce just gets behind trying to name positions and desrbe everything going on, he may see the move but have to finfisg the thiught he's started. It's a tough job.

I love the Trackus system in use at Keebeland...and I remember well when that track had no announcer whastoever,.