PDA

View Full Version : Two New Contenders

Norm
04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
After this weekend's racing, I see two new horses to place on the contenders list to replace some of those that flunked-out. Bob Black Jack ran a smooth, even race in the Santa Anita Derby and did not disgrace himself when missing all the marbles by a half-length in 1:48 1/5, (although I still don't trust the times on fake dirt.) The other is Recapturetheglory who also ran a smooth and even race in 1:49 on dirt. Problem with the second horse is that he is not on the original list of nominees. Anybody know if he is being supplemented ?

OTM Al
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
You see a head on of Bob Black Jack? I haven't weaved like that since I drank the 5th of Scotch in college. He was past the limit of his endurance at 1 1/8 m with less pace pressure than he will have on Deby day. No thanks.

Mag
04-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes, Recapturetheglory has been supplemented, I hope Baird keeps the mount.

I don't think Bob Black Jack was at the limit of his endurance....I think he got distracted, or overcorrected or something. Had he stayed straight & focused, he may have held off CJ. I hope BBJ get his chance to go. He's an improving 3-y-o, anything can happen.

So how slow was the last quarter in the Wood Memorial?

sandpit
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
I love Bob Black Jack's heart, but I have to agree that it would pretty pretty misguided to try to get him to go 1 1/4 miles. He will make a ton of money running in mile races all year long.

As far as Recapturetheglory, if the Derby has over 20 entrants, he gets least preference, behind all early nominees (it's in the conditions of the race). Personally, I hope he gets in because that's one more immediate toss.