PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby superfecta box?

dylbert
04-06-2008, 01:03 PM
My selections:

1. Pyro
2. Colonel John
3. Visionaire
4. Court Vision
5. Yankee Bravo
6. Tale of Ekati

$36 wager for dime superfecta box... someone else can have Big Brown, War Pass, and next week's "instant hero."

Hey, it is still 27 days away. Who knows what will really happen and who will actually start. Just a little a bit of propositional entertainment here. :cool:

rastajenk
04-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Derby hasn't done dimes to date. I don't think it will happen next month, either. So your box is $360 minimum. Will that require some paring? That's beyond my budget....of course if it hits, it would suddenly become worthwhile. :eek:

dylbert
04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Derby hasn't done dimes to date. I don't think it will happen next month, either. So your box is $360 minimum. Will that require some paring? That's beyond my budget....of course if it hits, it would suddenly become worthwhile. :eek:Is your day job as auditor? :bang: This was meant as fun thread. Basically, it is my top 6 list.

Seriously, if they don't offer dime super. I will shift gears to trifecta with no worries. Excuse me, Ebenezer Scrooge is calling for you on line two right now! :lol:

Dahoss9698
04-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Good luck getting Court Vision in there. What was his excuse for another awful showing in the Wood? Not enough pace?

SMOO
04-07-2008, 09:36 AM
I wish they would offer a dime super in the Derby, it would be a must play for obvious reasons.

Imriledup
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Here's my personal opinion on why a super in the Derby isn't the best bet you can make.

Unless you have an ENORMOUS bankroll, betting Tri's is a better option. The Tri is REALLY hard to hit and will pay boxcars if you get a bomb in any of the top 3 spots, supers are too hard to hit. The worst thing that you can have happen to you is that you miss the super by 1 spot and then say to yourself after the race., "i would have had this if i bet tri's".

I'd also recommend structuring a part wheel as a better option than boxing. A 6 horse box means that you think all 6 horses are exactly equal and you can't sepearate any of them.

As far as dime supers go, i think i heard somewhere that you CAN bet dime supers, but the dime super is NOT available in the self service machines at the track??. They don't want to clog up lines on derby day with people betting dime supers. Don't take my word for it, but i think i remember reading somewhere the dime bet is available.

SMOO
04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Here's my personal opinion on why a super in the Derby isn't the best bet you can make.

Unless you have an ENORMOUS bankroll, betting Tri's is a better option. The Tri is REALLY hard to hit and will pay boxcars if you get a bomb in any of the top 3 spots, supers are too hard to hit. The worst thing that you can have happen to you is that you miss the super by 1 spot and then say to yourself after the race., "i would have had this if i bet tri's".

I'd also recommend structuring a part wheel as a better option than boxing. A 6 horse box means that you think all 6 horses are exactly equal and you can't sepearate any of them.

As far as dime supers go, i think i heard somewhere that you CAN bet dime supers, but the dime super is NOT available in the self service machines at the track??. They don't want to clog up lines on derby day with people betting dime supers. Don't take my word for it, but i think i remember reading somewhere the dime bet is available.
I agree with you, I would only go the super route IF the 10 cent option was there. I'll prolly go tris or even exactas since a 20 horse field insures a decent payoff for a dollar bet.

Imriledup
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree with you, I would only go the super route IF the 10 cent option was there. I'll prolly go tris or even exactas since a 20 horse field insures a decent payoff for a dollar bet.

10 - GIACOMO 102.60 45.80 19.80

18 - CLOSING ARGUMENT 70.00 24.80

12 - AFLEET ALEX 4.60

$2 EXACTA 10-18 PAID $9,814.80 $2 TRIFECTA 10-18-12 PAID $133,134.80

$1 SUPERFECTA 10-18-12-17 PAID $864,253.50

singunner
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
If you really wanna play it safe, it'll only cost you $116,280.

singunner
04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
ROI breakdown for the Giacomo example:

20 Horse Super Box = $864,253.50 / $116,280 = ~7.43
20 Horse Tri Box = $133,134.80 / $6,840 = ~19.46
20 Horse Exacta Box = $9,814.80 / $380 = ~25.83

ryesteve
04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
20 Horse Tri Box = $133,134.80 / $6,840 = ~19.46
20 Horse Exacta Box = $9,814.80 / $380 = ~25.83
I think these two are off because the prices above were the $2 payouts, not a $1 payout like the Superfecta

singunner
04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Good catch. This is why I always convert all odds and payouts to $1.

Still, all you have to do is divide those two ROI's by 2. Exacta still had the best payoff vs a 20-horse box.

rastajenk
04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Is your day job as auditor? :bang: This was meant as fun thread. Basically, it is my top 6 list.
Seriously, if they don't offer dime super. I will shift gears to trifecta with no worries. Excuse me, Ebenezer Scrooge is calling for you on line two right now! :lol:
Dude, I didn't mean to come off as a wet blanket; just thought I'd offer a humble FYI. But if you're just throwing out mind bets, why not dig deep for $100 a pop and pull down some big money? :faint:

fmhealth
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Spoke with the Corp. office of CD today. As of now they have NOT made a decision about offering ten cent Supers on the Derby. As soon as a final decision is reached, they'll make a public announcement.

Why an important betting option like this hasn't been completely explored & decided upon by now is somewhat disconcerting. As a shareholder, I would expect a more proactive approach by management. I believe this is symptomatic of a deeper systemic problem in the industry.

SMOO
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Spoke with the Corp. office of CD today. As of now they have NOT made a decision about offering ten cent Supers on the Derby. As soon as a final decision is reached, they'll make a public announcement.

Why an important betting option like this hasn't been completely explored & decided upon by now is somewhat disconcerting. As a shareholder, I would expect a more proactive approach by management. I believe this is symptomatic of a deeper systemic problem in the industry.

Yes, most of the industry seems clueless and decades behind the times. No wonder many of them think they need slots to survive.

cj's dad
04-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Spoke with the Corp. office of CD today. As of now they have NOT made a decision about offering ten cent Supers on the Derby. .

On the big racing days, with tons of novice bettors, the ATM's are completely tied up with newbies trying to figure out how to bet a super. Seen it first hand and it can be UGLY.

OTM Al
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Having experienced a Breeders Cup at CD which had only about half the attendance of the derby itself, I wouldn't balme them at all for limiting betting options in this way. The place was jammed then and I had near 15 min waits sometimes to bet. I can't imagine what derby day must be like