Overlay
04-06-2008, 10:26 AM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=308288&GT1=7701&silentchk=1&

DJofSD
04-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Heard this sad news early this AM.

toetoe
04-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I saw a little blurb about CHest on Fox News. At the end, the lady talked over footage from " ... Apes," whilst the camera zeroed in for a shot of a good actor with leading-man looks ... James Franciscus. :D

JustRalph
04-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Great Actor. Great guy. :ThmbUp:

Put up with some shit from new Hollywood............

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/entertainment/1931445/detail.html

toetoe
04-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes, but would he be able to pull off the lead in "Mr. Novak" or
"Youngblood Hawke ?" Uh, mebbe not.

Grits
04-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Good actor, after he played Moses; moved up in class, came back as GOD.

Tom
04-06-2008, 06:54 PM
RIP.
He made some really good films.
The Omega Man was my favorite.
He has become an Easter tradition.

JustRalph
04-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Good actor, after he played Moses; moved up in class, came back as GOD.

:lol: :lol:

Tom
04-06-2008, 09:50 PM
My favorite line of his, "Get your hands off me, you damn dirty ape!"
He used it in Planet of the Apes and in a Michael Moore interview.

Grits
04-06-2008, 10:22 PM
:lol: :lol:

Ralph, its the TRUTH. You ever see him after he played Moses that he didn't have an opinion?!? Always in pulpit mode about somethin'.

jballscalls
04-07-2008, 09:26 AM
just to show my age, the only movie i've seen him in was Bowling for Columbine.

boomman
04-07-2008, 10:39 AM
just to show my age, the only movie i've seen him in was Bowling for Columbine.'

balls: Then you only missed about a hundred of his movies (I'm showing my age, too) :D Great actor!

Boomer

46zilzal
04-07-2008, 11:17 AM
One has to credit the man in his very public backing of Dr. Martin Luther King.

toetoe
04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Don't forget "No. 1," wherein he plays a quarterback only slightly better than Bobby Hebert.

Has anybody heard the rumor that his chariot opera will be remade, with the slight twist that Rosie O'Donnell will play the lead ? I've heard it will be retitled, also : "Ben Him."

JustRalph
04-07-2008, 04:30 PM
there are some scenes in Ben Hur wherein his chariot is racing wildly and tilting left and right. If you slow it down and watch, you can see the explosive package mounted under the chariot..........so they can launch it into the air in the climactic moment................

check out the horses...........

http://www.astor-theatre.com/images/ben-hur/chariot3.jpeg

lilmegahertz
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Man, never thought I would love a guy who acted in skirts most his career but the guy was great. The Ten Commandments is one of the best movies ever....

Robert Goren
04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Man, never thought I would love a guy who acted in skirts most his career but the guy was great. The Ten Commandments is one of the best movies ever.... Not one of the best, the Best:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

lilmegahertz
04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
True. Ben Hur is my #2 pick. "So it is written, it shall be done."

DJofSD
04-12-2008, 11:58 AM
The actor, who died last week, told The Times in 1956 that walking in the prophet's footsteps left him nearly overwhelmed.

By Steve Padilla
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

April 12, 2008

So what did the man who played Moses have to say about the biblical Moses?

The answer came this week in The Daily Mirror, The Times' blog about the paper's coverage of the past. After Charlton Heston died April 5 at the age of 84, blogger Larry Harnisch unearthed an article from Oct. 28, 1956, headlined "Moses Film Role Awes Performer."

The occasion was the premiere of Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments," in which Heston portrayed the prophet.

The paper's religion editor, Dan L. Thrapp, in the urgent style of the era, wrote of Heston: "He is a healthy, rangy, restless sort of individual, who likes his meat rare, his sports active and rugged and his music deep."

and

Thrapp also quoted Heston at length. Here's Heston on Moses' qualities:

"To me Moses is all men grown to giant proportions.

"He was a man of immense ability, immense emotions, immense humanness and immense dedication. There is something of Moses in each of us -- the more there is, the better we are.

"It is interesting to note that once Moses climbs Mt. Sinai and talks to God, there is never contentment for him again. That is the way it is with us. Once we talk to God, once we get His commission to us for our lives, we cannot be again content.

"We are happier. We are busier. But we are not content, because then we have a mission -- a commission, rather."

Heston talked about filming the scenes depicting Moses talking to God on Mt. Sinai: "I stood on the ground where he stood, breathed the air he breathed, and was almost overwhelmed by the thought that here Moses became the only man in recorded history to meet God face to face."

Entire article here. (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-beliefs12apr12,1,2129604,print.story)