PDA

View Full Version : Any Help from the board for this situation?

jotb
04-05-2008, 02:33 PM
In Oct. 2007 in CT a horse by the name of Eastern Delight won the classic race. The purse was a guarantee 500k. We beat the heavily favorite Confucius Say quite easily. Unfortunately, 2 weeks later the horse comes back with a posititve for caffeine. The frozen sample sent off to Ohio and the plasma came back higher than what it should have been. The trainer has already been suspended and is back in action now. It was his first posititve as a trainer and it was the 1st case of caffeine since 1999 at CT. Of course they are in the appeals process gatthering as much information which hopefully can become an asset to them. By the way, the 2 horses met a couple of weeks later and Eastern Delight outfinished Confucius again.

Currently, I'm trying to search and find documentation regarding caffeine postitives where trainers have been exonerated.

This link was written by RICHARD ENG. http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/1998/Dec-20-Sun-1998/sports/10272189.html you have to scroll down some until you see a name by the name of Debbie Miller who exonerated these trainers. It's a paragraph at most and I wish Richard Eng or Debbie Miller can be reached to have additional details of the case. I believe the case was called "The Bee Pollen" case.

There are many ways caffeine can get into a horse from human sweat to contaminated feed. What would be helpful to me is to find other trainers that have won their case. Here are two other links that were helpful.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/05/980501082822.htm

http://www.nakoersen.nl/persbericht/budhraja.pdf

If anyone comes across something similiar it would be greatly appreciated. You can either post on this thread or through pm.

Thank you kindly,
jotb

Greyfox
04-05-2008, 03:18 PM
In the article Professor Sams mentions that a Florida trainer was exonerated.
I suggest that you write to Professor Sams and ask him about the situation and how the trainer was exonerated.
From what I can determine on the net his address is :

Richard Sams
OSU Analytical Toxicology Laboratory,
OSU Veterinary Hospital,
601 Tharp Street,
Columbus, Ohio 43210

If you've been down this route before, well I tried. Good luck.

jotb
04-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Hello GreyFox:

Greatly appreciated and I will pass this info to my contacts. I also received your PM and thanks once again for the help. Thank you for taking the time to help. To be perfectly honest, I thought more members would have come forward with more information. I guess people had the same trouble I had when it came to searching through documents upon documents and not coming up with exactly what other trainers were exonerated. The funny thing is the horse was just higher than the normal level. I believe the urine sample show 109ng. If I'm not wrong it takes millions of ngs to make 1 gram. For me I don't believe something like this would enhance a horses performace.

Anyway, Greyfox thanks for help and if anyone else runs across anything in the future please feel free to send it this way.

Thank you and best regards,
Joe