PDA

View Full Version : How two attack new tracks

BIG HIT
04-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi guy's my question.I live in michigan and it broke my heart when they tore down Detroit race course.
They are buliding a new track by metro airport opening supposely by july 18 this year.How would you rate the track compared to other's.I think it be about same class wise to what drc was also like thisle down's.And sure that trainer's and jky that used to be at drc will be back.
Is there anything else i should consider.? Or other suggestion's or what those of you that experience this have to say

Norm
04-05-2008, 12:09 PM
For the first two weeks, be an observer, not a player. Important parameters: how does early speed hold up ? Knowing if the track is speed favoring or not is most important. What are typical ¼ M times and typical 6F times ? How does it compare to the tracks in near-by Ohio ? If it is possible to discover, is the track maintenance supervisor the same as at DRC ? If not, where did he come from ? Was the last track he worked at a 'speed' track ? Knowing his philosophy on how a track should be prepared is valuable info. Then, note the purse structure and how it compares to other near-by tracks. If the track has a website, you should be able to download a Condition Book from the 'horseman's' area. This can give you a useful look-ahead at the probable class structure. The Condition Book will give a clue as to what kind of horses have applied for stable space. The racing secretary usually bases his conditions on what kind of horses he is expecting and he gets that info from the stall applications.

Good Luck !

I have only been to DRC a couple of times some years back and enjoyed my experiences there. I was sorry to hear it when it closed. How long has it been now ?

BIG HIT
04-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Has been closed 10 yr now they had just up grade it.It was really nice.Then sold it and now a mall.Just what we need LOL.They were begging for slot's none of trk's mich got them.Was surprized some one building new one northville\hazelpark have stay open but crying for slot's
Thank for your reply and interest

Norm
04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL269/8161730/16877554/312048876.jpg

Detroit Race Course

Tom Barrister
04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Certain trainers will dominate the track, and they'll very likely do it from day one. You'll want to keep a close eye on that and get on board before everybdoy else figures out who they are, too.