PDA

View Full Version : Why are all those good Jockeys at Keeneland ?

pktruckdriver
04-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Why are all these Jockeys at Keeneland and not out in these big Derby Preps??

Kent, Jamie , Robby, and on and on , all at KeeneLand right now, why????

To me this does not make sense, so much talent missing out on all these Derby Horses running this weekend.

I'm so confused.

Patrick

asH
04-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Perhaps they have their Derby horses, Kent does...

juanepstein
04-04-2008, 11:04 PM
robby knows that track like the back of his hand. he had all his horses right there giving their best efforts.

john velasquez looked like an amateur.

prado is getting the hook ups but he keeps messing up his rides.

rgustafson
04-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Why are all these Jockeys at Keeneland and not out in these big Derby Preps??

Kent, Jamie , Robby, and on and on , all at KeeneLand right now, why????

To me this does not make sense, so much talent missing out on all these Derby Horses running this weekend.

I'm so confused.

Patrick

Easy answer, one word, MONEY!!!!!!

asH
04-04-2008, 11:09 PM
robby knows that track like the back of his hand. he had all his horses right there giving their best efforts.

john velasquez looked like an amateur.

prado is getting the hook ups but he keeps messing up his rides.

would you explain?

juanepstein
04-04-2008, 11:21 PM
would you explain?

his placing of his rides compared to the pace was terrible.

asH
04-04-2008, 11:30 PM
his placing of his rides compared to the pace was terrible.
are you speaking of Free Fighter?

juanepstein
04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
are you speaking of Free Fighter?

that was one of them but most of his rides were pretty bad. went 4-5 wide on two of them,steadied on one and got the horse in the last race out ran.

whyhorseofcourse
04-05-2008, 02:02 AM
No more fairgrounds.

JustRalph
04-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Because Keeneland is the place to be............and where the money is.....and I don't mean the purses or anything to do with the races...................any more questions...........?

pktruckdriver
04-05-2008, 06:27 AM
You said becuase it is the place to be and for the money.........

Wel please elaborate, as to why this is the place to be, I don't see it.

I also do not see the money either, not in a 20+ day meet, does anyone else?

With all the big perp races this wekend and yet we got all these top jockeys here at keeneland riding in nothing (money wise) races, I don't get it.

Am I that dense????? Maybe, but I can't figure this out, sorry.

At least with Kent we know who he's riding in the derby, the winner, maybe...

But what the others Robby , Jamie and the rest......

Patrick
Still Confused becuase money does not wash, or does place to be, nope.

jonnielu
04-05-2008, 06:36 AM
that was one of them but most of his rides were pretty bad. went 4-5 wide on two of them,steadied on one and got the horse in the last race out ran.

I guess it couldn't have much to do with the horse. Maybe somebody forgot their wheaties or their spinach.

jdl

jonnielu
04-05-2008, 06:39 AM
You said becuase it is the place to be and for the money.........

Wel please elaborate, as to why this is the place to be, I don't see it.

I also do not see the money either, not in a 20+ day meet, does anyone else?

With all the big perp races this wekend and yet we got all these top jockeys here at keeneland riding in nothing (money wise) races, I don't get it.

Am I that dense????? Maybe, but I can't figure this out, sorry.

At least with Kent we know who he's riding in the derby, the winner, maybe...

But what the others Robby , Jamie and the rest......

Patrick
Still Confused becuase money does not wash, or does place to be, nope.

1 Kentucky Belle per 5 square feet.

jdl

pktruckdriver
04-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Ky Belle's I understand and 5-1 at that, wow, BE RIGHT THERE

But that leaves the reasoning of all these top jock's, what are not married and go where the Girls are, sounds good to me, but it can not be true, can it?

Patrick

rgustafson
04-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Patrick,

No matter what you and others seem to think. the top riders are there because of the money. Do you think they go up to Saratoga in the late summer because they like hot, humid weather or enjoy the sceney in upstate New York? Keeneland and Saratoga offer by far the highest avg. dailey purse distribution of any meets in the country (around $650,000 daily). Sure, there are big Derby prep races elsewhere, but it is just one race on the card. What if things don't pan out for your horse in that race. At Keeneland, these guys have sixteen days to ride lots of horses each day with the potential to make lots of money. When the three weeks are up, most return from whence they came.

onefast99
04-05-2008, 09:48 AM
It has always been FG to Keeneland, did something change? Its good to see all of the top jocks at keeneland, GP has no one left and that will get you a few nice prices at the window!:jump:

jma
04-05-2008, 10:35 AM

But that leaves the reasoning of all these top jock's, what are not married and go where the Girls are, sounds good to me, but it can not be true, can it?

Patrick

Keeneland has the biggest purses in the country during its meet---average of $636,000 per day this spring. So yes, it is one of the premier meets of the year, and yes, it's the place to be right now. This is not a new thing.

Marshall Bennett
04-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Purses average over 50k so its really no wonder . :cool:

Bruddah
04-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Keeneland has the biggest purses in the country during its meet---average of $636,000 per day this spring. So yes, it is one of the premier meets of the year, and yes, it's the place to be right now. This is not a new thing.

In addition to the above information add, making connections for the future. This runs the gamut of Jock Agents to trainers to owners to etc. Schmoozing in one's Industry has always been important. Think not! Ask Jerry Bailey, the biggest schmoozer of them all. It's known as kiss :kiss: the horses ass. :lol:

ManeMediaMogul
04-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Patrick,

No matter what you and others seem to think. the top riders are there because of the money. Do you think they go up to Saratoga in the late summer because they like hot, humid weather or enjoy the sceney in upstate New York? Keeneland and Saratoga offer by far the highest avg. dailey purse distribution of any meets in the country (around $650,000 daily). Sure, there are big Derby prep races elsewhere, but it is just one race on the card. What if things don't pan out for your horse in that race. At Keeneland, these guys have sixteen days to ride lots of horses each day with the potential to make lots of money. When the three weeks are up, most return from whence they came.

Besides the money, Keeneland is a great place to get noticed and pick up business. The most prominent breeders and owners love to run there, so the trainers bring their best horses and they attract the best riders. Everybody is hoping to elevate the level of their stables and mounts for the rest of the year.

JustRalph
04-05-2008, 03:00 PM
The last two posts get it right. Bruddah and Mane are dead on. Pktrucker, you ever been there? This is the place where some of the biggest money brokers in the game come to play and be seen. You can walk to the restroom and pass some big names, every day. And the farms that surround this place are where the real deals are made.

pktruckdriver
04-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Well guys and gals:

I honestly wish to thank you for letting me about Keeneland and Saratoga too.

I'm kinda new to the Horse game, but I'm trying to learn fast, which might be a bad idea, but life is too short to take too long to try and learn what you can as quickly as you can and that's if you can and have others willing to help you.

Phew that was a long winded paragraph there boy. But really thanks to all of you for answering my questions I put here, even if they were asked before or are a little stupid to some, but to me they help a lot, thanks again.

Patrick

Tex9Down
04-05-2008, 11:32 PM
pkt, that was a good thread starter and the answers helped me too.

GlenninOhio
04-06-2008, 08:05 AM

Patrick

The last time I was at Keeneland (fall of 2007) I was hanging out on the jocks room side of the paddock.

The entrance area to the jocks room was pretty thick with "belles", all dressed to kill.

JustRalph
04-06-2008, 12:10 PM
The last time I was at Keeneland (fall of 2007) I was hanging out on the jocks room side of the paddock.

The entrance area to the jocks room was pretty thick with "belles", all dressed to kill.

Every time I have been to Keeneland, they are wall to wall.......now I have only spent about 7 days total........but it is a killer place to watch the ladies............. :ThmbUp:

Grits
04-06-2008, 01:36 PM
If, this afternoon, you'd like a clearer understanding of why trainers and jockeys go to Keeneland, go to their website, www.keeneland.com (http://www.keeneland.com/). and check out the video features section.

Earlier, the site provided videos of Pyro's last two workouts. They've now added others:

Cool Coal Man's Thursday morning workout. (Another Zito trained hopeful; one I'd prefer over War Pass--if preferring either.)

Pyro schooling in the paddock yesterday before the second race, attended by Scott Blasi and his groom. Looking professional, not turning a hair.

These two, along with new videos from the Transylvannia and the Ashland have been added.

Clips from Jill Byrne's handicapping seminars are featured also.

Keeneland's a fine starting point for anyone new to the sport. They go the distance in promoting their product, whether one is there--at the track, or states away, viewing online.

pktruckdriver
04-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Thank you it was a delight to browse that website and if they let me in, I am going to try to make it there this month, for sure.

Now as a truck driver that may have both the Semi and Trailer (53ft) ,with me does anyone have suggestion on where one may get parking for it, and what Hotel or motel may have truck parking available, if you know that is, otherwise I'll do my homework and call around to find out, just asking???

Patrick

BigJake
04-07-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't know of a good place to park a semi but there are tour buses in and out every day.

Me and my Dad, Uncle, brother, and cousins go 2 times a year. Once in the fall and once in the spring. As far as the ladies go, UK's campus is a ghost town during the spring meet. College cuties as far as the eye can see. The college kids make a big deal about dressing up. That usually means short skirts and low cut tops. YIPPEEE :eek: :jump:

colonial
04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
yes its about the money and making connections later in the year, but its also a great meet.

i would say call keeneland about tractor trailer parking. i have gone to different
tracks over the years and just called the tracks to see if there is a place to park the big rigs. most also ask if im going there to bet.